simon thomas

at last a detailed GPS Worldmap & it's not from Garmin!

Hope this is the right forum for this post.

We've been using Garmins World map on a daily basis to plan, prepare and plot our rides as we're now 4-years into our 'around-the-world' motorcycle journey. On hundreds of occasions we've cursed it, when in a strange new city or even a 'middle of nowhere track', we've desperately needed more map data and simply not had it. Even after spending 'way' too many hours scouring the internet for map sets of South America we came up short of what we actually needed. Needless to say when a friend and fellow bike traveler told us he was going to make his own World map as he too was tired of Garmins inadequacies, we were...skeptical. I thought "If a huge firm like Garmin can't get it right, what makes you think you can"?

Ohhh, how wrong was I! Bob's map set is called 'Wanderlust GPS World Map' and it beats Garmins hands down. Its compiled from public source data (but then so is Garmins) and help and support from a number of GPS forums and groups from around the world.

We've been beta-testing it for Bob since we left his temporary home in Peru 4-months ago, since then we've ridden North through Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela returning back to Colombia before riding up through Central America (Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Belize). Right now I'm writing this from Mexico.

We've ended up using the Wanderlust map almost exclusively. We'd start by using our old GPS maps and occasionally check Bob's to compare when ours showed no road, track, path or even river. Time and time again Bob's would be spot on and would give us the road/track location we needed and even the tinniest towns or villages near by.

Bob joked that his maps would store every populated place on the globe, well I thought he was joking...he wasn't.

Decent GPS map data for South America is very hard to come-by and so we posted some screenshots on our own website. I wanted to post them here but the maximum file size on this forum is 39kb (to small) You can check out the comparison screenshots here between teh wanderlust and Garmin worldmaps here www.2ridetheworld.com/wanderlust_page.htm . Let me know what you think.

Screenshots are all well good but it's how the product works in the real world that's important. Please take it from me, the Wanderlust WorldMap lives up to the job, we just wish we'd had the maps back in Africa..."---- Bob what the hell are you doing with your time :-) .

The next version should be due for release by late January. With even more map data. Bob's currently dealing with the Russian military as he's been given permission to use data for Moscow to street level!

The reason for the post is simple; I wanted to support a friend who started a project to help his own motorbike journey and ended up with a project that could help us all. As things have progressed Bob's invested in some nifty software and has dipped his hand into his own pocket.

If you'd like to register and download the Wanderlust World Map you can. Here's the idea. In order to recoup some cost's, the World map membership is priced at $50...that's it. Paypal has been set up to facilitate payment too!

You can visit our website where we have additional info on the maps where you'll find 'register and download' links for the Wanderlust World Map.

http://www.2ridetheworld.com/wanderlust_page.htm

You'll notice I said membership, that's because that's how Bob has set it up, which means that 'ALL' future software upgrades for life are free. Once your a member you'll just log onto your account and download teh latest map set. Bob’s already working on making later World Map’s routable; again something that Garmin is not. Future upgrades will include more city street level data, campsites, BMW dealers (globally) hotels, etc, etc. The idea is to make this an open project. You can also contribute and add quality/functionality by sending in tracks, waypoints, suggestions, corrections. Life evolves! And Bob will welcome all contributions - the very fact this product exists is thanks to many people worldwide supporting Bob's idea.

Its current size is approx 320mb and downloads with an .exe file - nice and simple and it all integrates in Map Source seamlessly.

Now at least we can have some mapping outside Europe (Garmin maps are available for S.Africa, OZ and USA but I think that is it.)

Please support this new development as it will help us all.

Usual disclaimers apply!!

Thanks for your time, if you have any ideas, thoughts etc. I'd love to hear them.

Again here's a link for more info and register and download.

Simon T

http://www.2ridetheworld.com

Guest stevensyanora

Hope this is the right forum for this post.

We've been using Garmins World map on a daily basis to plan, prepare and plot our rides as we're now 4-years into our 'around-the-world' motorcycle journey.

Ive only used Map Quest and it really SUCKS...

Please support this new development as it will help us all.

Usual disclaimers apply!!

Thanks for your time, if you have any ideas, thoughts etc. I'd love to hear them.

Again here's a link for more info and register and download.

http://www.2ridetheworld.com

Anyone here registered, downloaded, and tried this product?

Thanks.

Steve

Come on Craig... you know you want to try it... doncha?

Let me see if I can get work to purchase it... :D

I'm a cheap B@$tur&

Well dadgummit, where the HECK was this when I needed it??? Baja, Kuwait, Iceland, Alaska? SHEESH! Now I'll have to buy it before I go on my trip North. I'll keep ya posted.

Jim