Kris

Shoei Hornet DS and Arai XD-3 helmet

Pretty good prices on these helmets.

I went and pulled the trigger and bought a Shoei DS Hornet. I paid 382.98 for a matte deep gray one, (that includes shipping).

Strega, It`s a dark grey matte finish, (in other words, light black).

Shoei Hornet DS

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1208001/p/20486

Arai XD-3

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/2002007/p/27120

post-7075-1266294364_thumb.jpg

Just received my new Shoei Hornet DS. It is a really cool helmet, very comfortable and lite. It has lots of vents that can all be closed. I think this is the nicest helmet I have ever owned.

Flat Black...we'll get a long JUST fine. :)

Strega

Actually I got the matte deep gray one.

Strega

Actually I got the matte deep gray one.

You're fired.

This Shoei DS Hornet is the nicest helmet I`ve owned. It`s very comfortable, quiet and very little high speed buffeting even with visor on.

post-7075-1266378419_thumb.jpg

post-7075-1266378800.jpg

Kris: So why the DS over the XD3 ? Curious because I had tried both on. Was it a matter of fit ? Past experiences either way ? Cost ?

- Robert

I just bought one too........what is the circular black "thingy" under your visor, outside of helmet, where your left ear would be in the picture??

The only thing I dislike about the helmet is that the speakers for my BD headset REALLY hurt my ears. The helmet is set up so that your ears fit into a pocket of the helmet. I don't see foam to cut out to make the speaker fit any better.

Anybody know of someone that can fit my speakers in my helmet without the annoying pain?

Kris: So why the DS over the XD3 ? Curious because I had tried both on. Was it a matter of fit ? Past experiences either way ? Cost ?

- Robert

The Shoei was quite a bit cheaper, (for the colors that I liked) and fit me better.

Kris

I just bought one too........what is the circular black "thingy" under your visor, outside of helmet, where your left ear would be in the picture??

The only thing I dislike about the helmet is that the speakers for my BD headset REALLY hurt my ears. The helmet is set up so that your ears fit into a pocket of the helmet. I don't see foam to cut out to make the speaker fit any better.

Anybody know of someone that can fit my speakers in my helmet without the annoying pain?

The black round thing is the mount for my VholdR helmet camera

Kris

I had that problem with my Shoei dirt helmet. I took out the cheek pads and was able to remove about 1/8 to 1/4" of foam in just the pattern of the speakers so they fit in. SO much nicer!!

I was looking at an...AFX FX-37 DS helmet. Anyone know anything about this helmet?

Link

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...sr3_43930008_go

That helmet has been discussed Here

My personal thought on this helmet........for the price it is great.........for comfort it is not.

Huge difference between the Shoei, Arai and the AFX.

I was looking at an...AFX FX-37 DS helmet. Anyone know anything about this helmet?

Link

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_cata...sr3_43930008_go

That helmet has been discussed Here

My personal thought on this helmet........for the price it is great.........for comfort it is not.

Huge difference between the Shoei, Arai and the AFX.

I totally agree. It also just didn't fit me.

Between the Shoei and Arai, they're very close. They both have good points and bad points. I will say that the XD3 is a HUGE improvement over the XD.

I did it. After everyone raving about the Arai xd3 I bought one. I just unpacked it and started playing with it. For me I am already disappointed. The face shield will not stay up when riding. The slightest bump and it will drop. I hate goggles and like to ride with sunglasses. I figured I could drop the face shield when it got dusty. Now it seems the only choice with this helmet is to ride with it down all the time, unless I engineer some way to keep the shield up. It really bugs me to spend so much money and it turn out to be a pile of SH*^!

return it and get the shoei, you won't have that problem.

Not worth it to send it back. I dont like going to a local shop to look at thier stuff then order somewhere else, so I ordered it over the net. I just wish people would be honest when they buy something and review it. If it is a piece of sh*& than call it that so other people dont waste a lot of thier hard earned money.

sorry you got a bad product. I bought one of the shoei ones a couple years ago, I use it on the street. Works good, visor is good,face shield works good. . I would reconsider trading it for the shoei. Especially if it was from motorcycle superstore, their return policy is very good.

return it and get the shoei, you won't have that problem.

+1

no problem with my Shoei

I did it. After everyone raving about the Arai xd3 I bought one. I just unpacked it and started playing with it. For me I am already disappointed. The face shield will not stay up when riding. The slightest bump and it will drop.

Go to this website and create an account, register your helmet and then you'll email Kathy in customer service and she will get you what ever you need to make your helmet right.....never get spammed either.

http://www.araiamericas.com/Customer_Login.aspx

:lol:

Mike,

Something is not set up right on your helmet. The visor should stay up, mine does and the visor on my XD did too. Except in the dirt, I ride with the visor up and sunglasses all the time.

Check and make sure you've got the side pieces assembled right. There should ahve been a card that came with your helmet that shows the correct order and orientation for the pieces.

You can also call Rob at TheServicePavilion. 1-877-819-2245 LINK Rob gives the best customer service and KNOWS Arai helmets. I buy all my helmets and accessories from him. Talk to him and he'll be able to figure what's up with your helmet.

The XD3 is the best dual-sport helmet I've ever owned.