KTMrad

SDAR Voluntary Supporting Membership Fee UPDATED 6/12/19

55 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

DONE ONCE AGAIN TO COVER 2019.

Good plan, just sent mine as well!

Hi All, unfortunately we had to raise the voluntary supporting membership fee from $20 minimum to $30 minimum per year so we can continue to provide you, our members, a better experience on SDAR 

We recently had to increase the GB storage capacity of our hosting plan, which of course is costing us more money to keep the site going each year.

Put it this way, any income we get each year from supporting member donations, advertising and all other sources...does not cover the costs of maintaining this site and all other expenses associated with SDAR, so raising the voluntary donation amount will just help us to help you.

The Desert Dash used to bring in some decent money when we had those huge turnouts, which helped keep SDAR afloat, but those numbers and days are over.

Thanks for your understanding and thanks to everyone for your continued support !

I am not intending to offend anyone, I hope I don't, and I'm sure many will disagree with me. Since I have joined this website there seems to have been a recurring theme of placing more and more restrictions on non-paying members and now the price increase to become a paying member. I appreciate all the work that you all do to make this website happen and I have met a few great guys and been on a few great rides with the help of this website.

I have never paid to become a member and I have never paid to participate in the desert dash. I know the hardcore members will probably dismiss anything I have to say because of that, however I felt my candid opinion for why I have not contributed would possibly help to understand why many people do not contribute and why the desert dash numbers have dwindled.

The primary reason that I joined this website was to find new riding buddies and new riding areas, honestly there is not a lot of activity here when it comes to upcoming rides, especially for the lesser experienced riders.

The reason that I have never done the desert dash is because I can fairly easily go ride all those areas for free any time. I know lots of people would love to ride in Baja but are scared for one reason or another or they just don't know where to start, if there was a semi-supported ride down south I would be much more inclined to pay for that.

10 hours ago, MauleR said:

I am not intending to offend anyone, I hope I don't, and I'm sure many will disagree with me. Since I have joined this website there seems to have been a recurring theme of placing more and more restrictions on non-paying members and now the price increase to become a paying member. I appreciate all the work that you all do to make this website happen and I have met a few great guys and been on a few great rides with the help of this website.

I have never paid to become a member and I have never paid to participate in the desert dash. I know the hardcore members will probably dismiss anything I have to say because of that, however I felt my candid opinion for why I have not contributed would possibly help to understand why many people do not contribute and why the desert dash numbers have dwindled.

The primary reason that I joined this website was to find new riding buddies and new riding areas, honestly there is not a lot of activity here when it comes to upcoming rides, especially for the lesser experienced riders.

The reason that I have never done the desert dash is because I can fairly easily go ride all those areas for free any time. I know lots of people would love to ride in Baja but are scared for one reason or another or they just don't know where to start, if there was a semi-supported ride down south I would be much more inclined to pay for that.

You appreciate all the work, met great people, gone on rides and happy with that as long as it is free.  There are rides posted all the time. Plenty of rides for the lesser experienced.  Now if you want more "supported" rides that takes lots of work, permits, volunteers,  insurance and money. I know plenty of outfits that you can go to Baja with but it will cost you $600 to $2000 a trip. If $30 is a no go for what you appreciate and have gotten out of SDAR, I dont see you joining those rides'

The Desert Dash is more than just riding the area...it’s an event.  The people, the stories, the fun together, the food.  It’s like the difference between listening to your favorite artist on the radio and going to a concert.  But, not everyone gets it......

I contribute to the site because I take value from it. I've meet some of my best riding buddies here, learned a ton, and have enjoyed rides that I would not otherwise have experienced. To me, because I've received that value, I'm obligated to contribute, both financially and with whatever expertise and humor I might be able to offer.

I'm here to exchange value, not just to take it.

Over the years, I've respectfully disagreed with the management and operational side of the club and site- I think there's a lot of room for improvement. But it's not my site, and I've still had so many positive experiences- so I owe, and I shall continue to contribute. 

Oh- one friend I met here on line- we became close enough I married him!

Being a supporting member has already saved me $50 in discounted gear through a sponsor. So, in addition to meeting and making friends, I got my money back and more.  I think the more involved you are, the more you get out of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Oh- one friend I met here on line- we became close enough I married him!

Did he just move to North Carolina ?

18 minutes ago, KTMrad said:

Did he just move to North Carolina ?

Nah. 

He and his lovely wife now live in Idaho. 

17 hours ago, paulmbowers said:

Nah. 

He and his lovely wife now live in Idaho. 

Ah, the other husband 🤣

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:15 AM, paulmbowers said:

I contribute to the site because I take value from it. I've meet some of my best riding buddies here, learned a ton, and have enjoyed rides that I would not otherwise have experienced. To me, because I've received that value, I'm obligated to contribute, both financially and with whatever expertise and humor I might be able to offer.

Over the years, I've respectfully disagreed with the management and operational side of the club and site- I think there's a lot of room for improvement. But it's not my site, and I've still had so many positive experiences- so I owe, and I shall continue to contribute. 

X2.    I haven't always seen eye to eye with management over the years, but I have always appreciated the benefits of being part of, and aligned with, SDAR and contributed once the site began asking for donations.......and not just in a financial sense......I have worked to grow awareness of the site since the beginning.    Likewise, I've also been kicking $ to the O.C. Dualies and Big Bear Trail riders over the years........it just makes good sense.......an  increase to $30 next year is no BFD in my book.......thank you SDAR!

• Like 2

MauleR,

I hope you see these responses as an explanation not a rebuke of your comment.    We are invested in this community and something like a family  (evidently we marry one another).  Like a family, we do not agree on everything but still strive to function in a positive direction.  And this is a business that has bills to pay. If the team makes a dollar here or there along the way, that is an incentive to provide a room where the family can meet for dinner. 

In addition,  I prefer a site where my personal data is not monetized to the ridiculous levels found elsewhere.  I don't know of an easier place to  announce a ride at a remote location and have 4 or 5 guys show up ready to ride across the wilderness. Or have a discussion about lousy kick stands,  There are " Big " sites yes ,  but  having actually met most of these people face to face makes for a different conversation.

$30 divided by 365 days     🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, robertaccio said:

DONE ONCE AGAIN TO COVER 2019.

sent 25 PayPal on 6 FEB sent 5 more today to cover 2019s update to 30 bucks.  I am here and although many of you never see me. My riding is more non plated more to the more sporty side of the fence. I value this site because it is local, it is well managed, it is  welcoming, it provides moto connections for members, its members speak in the forum with some dignity and respect for others. I am glad this local DS site exists and I am happy to contribute some of my own library of information on all things moto to those in need or by request. Thanks SDAR.

• Like 1

I held off for a while on contributing since I don't contribute on any other sites that I am on (and one of them I moderate).  That said, I saw the value of the site and understand the undertaking to keep it functioning.  Cheap entertainment in my book!!

what if we start an oil thread and charge every comment $1...…………...

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, robertaccio said:

what if we start an oil thread and charge every comment $1...…………...

and tires, chain lube, riding gear, etc , we could get rich 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, paulmbowers said:

X3 - Thanks Paul no one can say it any better . One thing that erks some of the members is that no one realy knows what this Fourm realy cost. I had a Meet Up group and it was $180 a year . Is it $1000 -$4000 -$10,000  Are people taking $$$$ out of their pocket to keep it going ? Some Ideal might help people on the fence kick in . That said I am going to pay up . 

• Like 1

To promoting the"Tread Lightly" philosophy, maintaining good relations with local land management and fostering an inclusive community of local riders... hears to you SDAR!

• Like 1