I have a 2009 KLR 650, I got it in May 2009, In July of 09 I got a studabaker exuaust and a k@m air filter and installed them, then I took it to the shop were I bought the bike at (escondido cycle center) they told me I needed to rejet the carbarator and open up the air-box, so I said go for it. Well 7000 miles later of some great riding and on the books servicing, the first 600 mile service and oil service every 2000 miles. It came apperent I was using excesive oil consumption, so I took it in for investication, they told me it happens, Its under warrenty, so they tore it down to rebuild the top end (don't worry kawasaki will cover it) well once torn down, discover of excesive sand had gotten through the air filter and scored the cylinder walls, O?? , now they want $1600 dollars to rebuild the motor. they told me hmm you must ride in the dirt more then most people (WHAT?) any options out thier??

well once torn down, discover of excesive sand had gotten through the air filter and scored the cylinder walls, O?? , now they want $1600 dollars to rebuild the motor. they told me hmm you must ride in the dirt more then most people (WHAT?) any options out thier??

Excessive sand got in the motor ?

I had dirt get into my engine once on my 640 and had to replace the main rod bearing......luckily that's all it did. The reason dirt got in, and the only way for dirt to really get in, is that I didn't seat the air filter properly.

Sounds like you may have had a similar issue with your air filter ?

Dirt and sand should not be able to get into the motor otherwise.

I would start by asking for digital pictures of the scoring, and ask them what you possibly did to cause this.... normally, I would think modifying your airbox, and installing a non-stock air filter would be considered a factor, but since the dealer did it?????? I also think that a K&N filter is not generally regarded as a good "dirt bike" air filter.... I could be mistaken about that, but I'll stick with a well oiled foam filter, and clean it often.

How much would it be to install a 685 kit in that KLR?

I would start by asking for digital pictures of the scoring, and ask them what you possibly did to cause this.... normally, I would think modifying your airbox, and installing a non-stock air filter would be considered a factor, but since the dealer did it?????? I also think that a K&N filter is not generally regarded as a good "dirt bike" air filter.... I could be mistaken about that, but I'll stick with a well oiled foam filter, and clean it often.

How much would it be to install a 685 kit in that KLR?

I don't know what that kit is? they sugested after the fact that there is a sock I could have used over the filter (little late) so now I just wait and see what there going to do

I don't know what that kit is? they sugested after the fact that there is a sock I could have used over the filter (little late) so now I just wait and see what there going to do

The 685 kit is a larger-bore kit for your motor, increases the CC's and Horsepower.

If they recommended opening up the airbox, putting in the K&N air filter, and they actually installed it, and didn't tell you about the sock over the air filter, I would bitch about that !

They should at least give you a discount.

Eagle Mike

Doo hickey

Stainless Bolt replacement Kit

Other assorted KLR maladies fixed

I would also look in to a better "dirt" filter, apply oil correctly and rim grease... you may need to re-jet after

$1600 is a pretty big hit on a new bike... see what they can do for you, as they installed the parts for a DUAL SPORT bike... maybe they can cut some slack on parts mark-up and labor

Agreed, I don't use K&N on bikes that go in the dirt, anymore. I used to use one on my old DR350, but changed back to foam filters.

K&N filtration is not as good in the dirt, from what I read years ago.

CAT Diesel tractors did a test on them using bulldozers, and said not a good idea in the dirt environment. I tried finding this article awhile back, but could not find it.

Eagle Mike

Doo hickey

Stainless Bolt replacement Kit

Other assorted KLR maladies fixed

I would also look in to a better "dirt" filter, apply oil correctly and rim grease... you may need to re-jet after

$1600 is a pretty big hit on a new bike... see what they can do for you, as they installed the parts for a DUAL SPORT bike... maybe they can cut some slack on parts mark-up and labor

doo hickey was fixed on the 2009 supposably, and i'm not sure I want to give them any more of my business? any mechanics out that I can bring the bike in a box and get a resnable quote?LOL

I don't think $1600 is unreasonable, personally... IF you are footing the bill

Expensive lesson learned... check out the thread on Small Shop recommendations... good start, but i doubt it'll be much less...

Good luck

685 kit is about $300.00

are you sure the DOO was done with eagle mikes?

was this a oil burner to start with?

we have an extra 705 stage 2head ready to go for $750.00

get ahold of eagle Mike and talk with him, hes the guy who can help you out.

If you can not reach him, let me know, he just left my shop 10 minutes ago.

also, just my opinon, however i have seen alot of real B.S. parts coming from China, all knock off and I would bet if you ordered anything from a 650.com site, what you got was a knock off part and a piece of white doggie poop. I could go on and on about what parts to get for the KLR, howeve rits just best to contact Mike, 85% chance he will help you out

also,, just a matter of fact here, last saturday we had a wheel lacing day at mikes shop, we got 35 guys riding deather valley as most already know,, anyways, there was a factory KAWI rep there, who stated,, IF ANYONE HAS A BLOWN MOTOR that burned oil, we want to know and we will send a new motor in the crate, do not touch the blown motor..

yeah,, mike the guy to talk toooooo

685 kit is about $300.00

are you sure the DOO was done with eagle mikes?

I think he is saying the 2009 model year was supposed to have "cured" the problem that Kawasaki never acknowledged was a "problem" in the first place... the "doo-hickey"

$300 for a new cylinder is probably about the same price as a new stock unit... That's kind of what I was getting at... as long as he is going to have to replace it, might as well upgrade

blockhead... tuna is one of the people I was going to direct you to, actually... a KLRista

Eagle Mike has a good reputation, other than being in tuna's shop from time to time :girl_mad:

also; the blown motor comment.... kind of what I was interested in was the "scoring"...

Also, K&N has a warranty on their air filters that says, essentially, "If you use our filters and a warranty repair gets denied because of it, we'll pay for the repairs." I have heard on the internet that they will honor this so I would definitely check in with K&N.

also,, just a matter of fact here, last saturday we had a wheel lacing day at mikes shop, we got 35 guys riding deather valley as most already know,, anyways, there was a factory KAWI rep there, who stated,, IF ANYONE HAS A BLOWN MOTOR that burned oil, we want to know and we will send a new motor in the crate, do not touch the blown motor..

Thanks for the input guys, If you could hook me up with Eagle Mike I would be much apriciated

Thanks for the input guys, If you could hook me up with Eagle Mike I would be much apriciated

Okay, several things.....

K&N isn't a good filter for the KLR650. It often doesn't seal well against the airbox. Did the dealer install the air filter, pipe, and do the airbox mod's? If so, I think you likely have a case. I'd like to see and measure the cylinder...

Another local guy and I usually team up to install the 685. It's about $400 including the cylinder boring and all the required gaskets. This is all for parts and the cylinder work. We usually charge lunch at the BBQ place as the price of the install - but you gotta be a good guy and pass it on someday.

We did have a Kawasaki representative at my last tech day. After I get some details from you I'll pass them on - I don't know if I'm authorized to give out his contact info.

Sorry you got the stude baker stuff - they're not my favorite people - but that's a different subject.

Call me when you get a chance. Number is on my web page. I left the cell at home today, so I'd call you back later today or tomorrow.

Looks like EagleMike is a valuable resource and good person to know !

Welcome, glad you're here EagleMike !

If you live anywhere near San Diego and you ride a KLR, you will be very happy to met and get to know Mike.

its kind of hard to put on a fourm about the feelings i have, because of meeting Mike and the rest of the local KLR family without sounding gay. NOT that theres anything wrong with that, just, well oh heck with it,, nevermind just contact him and you and your KLR will never be the same. Wait, that dont sound right ,,, Oh well you get the picture.

I don't have a KLR, but I would like to still meet him. I like KLR's and have though about getting one so I always read the KLR post. I would also like to learn how lace a wheel someday. I really like this TwistedThrottle KLR.

9545-300x300.jpg

Tommy...its ok...we have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy at SDAR

It is awesome how Mike is famous for his KLR program and is local...and a member of SDAR...KLRs are an awesome all around bike, especially as a dirt worthy tourer.

Damn; now I'm starting to want one again...who wants to trade for an XRL? I mean; anybody except blockhead

I don't have a KLR, but I would like to still meet him. I like KLR's and have though about getting one so I always read the KLR post. I would also like to learn how lace a wheel someday. I really like this TwistedThrottle KLR.

Thanks for the kind words. The people at Twisted Throttle are good folks.

Here is one with the first set of wheels I did. I just laced another set today - didn't have time at the tech day for my goodies.

left%20side%202006.jpg

Tommy invited me to a tech day at Mikes. I showed up in a Nissan cuz I was working....and he still invited me in. Nice guy and a great group of riders. I'd be happy to have anyone I met at tech day join SDAR.

From what I saw, Mike gives back to the MC/DS community.

Thx for the bratwurst!

Tommy invited me to a tech day at Mikes. I showed up in a Nissan cuz I was working....and he still invited me in. Nice guy and a great group of riders. I'd be happy to have anyone I met at tech day join SDAR.

From what I saw, Mike gives back to the MC/DS community.

Thx for the bratwurst!

+1

I have know Mike for some time from one of his nonmotorcycle hobbies. He is also a great Ballroom dancer and a real gentleman. I worked with him at our dance club when he was president and I was bringing our dance students to the club. Gracious and knowledgeable guy.

:lol: Well things kind of worked out, Escondido Cycle Center came through for me, since they installed everything they absorbed the cost to fix my bike , except for the $250 for a new piston and a bore and a couple of miss., ready to ride again by next week, anyways thanks everybody for your input and advice, see ya out their!!!