By the way, what do you guys think all the scars on the rocks were from?? Glaciers??? And he rocks....red from iron???

The scars in the sandstone are actually layers in old buried sand dunes, very cool. Below is a quick summary of the geology of the Red Rock area.

http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/GEOLOGY.htm

EZ to fix with Miracle Putty- should be a part of every toolkit. Just clean the area with gasoline and patch it up.

Never mind the pieces that might be in there rattling around. Small piece of aluminum and some Jb weld would cover the hole, but again I dont think I would want to have the metal pieces getting caught up in anything causing more damage.

Yes, one could remove the cover first.

Bit late to the posting party, but adding my thanks to Chris, Roger, Tracy, etc. Some fun and epic terrain, which at times called upon many seldom-used skills that weren't as rusty as I figured they might be. Zina, Wayne and I formed a fun and well-matched riding group, especially with regard to pacing and attitude (and together they kept me from bonking late into Sat aft with extra fluids and electrolytes). Although I did lose my kickstart just before the mine on Sat... (Wayne rode over it, figuring I needed a new one anyway.....). Almost worth driving back to find it after checking replacement cost! Thankfully a tow-start from the HMS Juan-Marco on a 35 degree Sun morning got me enough juice to thumb start the rest of the day.

Great to meet up with so many SDAR members, and a weekend well worth repeating.

Few shots from Sat/Sun, mostly of our little trio (or as Zina puts it, "Team Dropped Bike, Flat Tire, Dead Battery"):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18879154@N08/...57623125316737/

Bit late to the posting party, but adding my thanks to Chris, Roger, Tracy, etc. Some fun and epic terrain, which at times called upon many seldom-used skills that weren't as rusty as I figured they might be. Zina, Wayne and I formed a fun and well-matched riding group, especially with regard to pacing and attitude (and together they kept me from bonking late into Sat aft with extra fluids and electrolytes). Although I did lose my kickstart just before the mine on Sat... (Wayne rode over it, figuring I needed a new one anyway.....). Almost worth driving back to find it after checking replacement cost! Thankfully a tow-start from the HMS Juan-Marco on a 35 degree Sun morning got me enough juice to thumb start the rest of the day.

Great to meet up with so many SDAR members, and a weekend well worth repeating.

Few shots from Sat/Sun, mostly of our little trio (or as Zina puts it, "Team Dropped Bike, Flat Tire, Dead Battery"):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18879154@N08/...57623125316737/

i know right where your kickstart is. Its on the downhill right after the mine, i am going back in a couple of weeks to ride it again so i will pick it up. I am sure you will have a new one by then but now you have a backup.

hobiee! almost worth the wait...... I knew it fell off very near the end of Day 1, but would have gone back if I figured it was that close (and I kinda liked the mine road section anyway).

No worries, but if you come across it, give me a shout. Thx for the post.

Sean, San Diego