Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.

He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!

He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,

Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

dscn0117.jpg

Man i have so many robin hood men in tights lines to go here, but i cannot pick one in particular

Ice Mountain Report - Let the Count Begin

Struck me it could be fun to know exactly how many Drops/Slams/Ooyas we tallied crossing the Icy two track Friday thru Saturday.

Personally, my count was two front wheel Ooyas ( as in this wheel is moving side ways and I can't stop it ) both in the up direction. If I was to ride it again, the low side would be my preferred track. The uphill side seemed to have more slope to it thinking back. Captcham and Johnnybags, don't tell if you saw more than two. I didn't see either of you go down, is that the fact?

Bagstr = 2

Struck me it could be fun to know exactly how many Drops/Slams/Ooyas we tallied crossing the Icy two track Friday thru Saturday.

Personally, my count was two front wheel Ooyas ( as in this wheel is moving side ways and I can't stop it ) both in the up direction. If I was to ride it again, the low side would be my preferred track. The uphill side seemed to have more slope to it thinking back. Captcham and Johnnybags, don't tell if you saw more than two. I didn't see either of you go down, is that the fact?

Bagstr = 2

C-Daddy = 2 (One biff headed up on Friday........one biff headed down on Sat.......both on west side of Summit.......)

Bagstr = 2

The snow outside of the tracks had better traction than the hard ice packed tracks. I had no problem going slow in the snow avoiding the ice.

Well, I don't want to brag or nothing. :lol:

But I cleaned it- no harm, no foul.

Had more trouble with the mine descent, but still did not fall. Some sort of record for me.

I had no problem going slow in the snow.

Bragger :lol::lol:

I had more problems with the soft rock leaving Primm!

Cleaned it. Although I did loose momentum once and had to spin the tire a little to get going. I also made Fakename a little nervous when I pulled up along side of him, or was following closely on the ice. Didn't want to follow that close, I just didn't want to slow down right then :lol: . Ken

I had three drops that I remember on the ice, all on the uphill climb and all were front end going one way, then correcting with the rear and having it go the other.

I had one on Friday going up the long stretch. I lost traction and started spinning, grabbed front brake (pointless) and killed the throttle which left me accelerating backwards. I decided to lay it over as opposed to testing gravity any further.

On Saturday going the direction everyone else went I didnt have any problems.

cleaned it :lol:

thank you tubliss and 5 psi!

second gear and steady throttle and no problems at all, i also used the snow to the sides or down the center

Cleaned it, the snow/ice that is.

Washed the front end out East of the Sandy Valley where I separated my shoulder. Feeling much better already.

ice mountain was more mental, for me...did the "change nothing" approach...seemed to work okay.

now the mine descent..THAT was a interesting one...maybe b/c late in the day, maybe steep with rocks and drop offs..

i def NEED to learn how to do that stuff with more confidence.

Jaynen did a hell of a job on it, was stoked to see him rip thru it...GOOD JOB J!!! *esp with your situation developing...so glad you were ok...

i really didn't realize how bad you were..

the "soft" rocks out the gates were a mofo too...but i think could have attacked more

but all in all, i tell ya, i feel much more comfortable on my bike...def liked the springs upgrade!

Blind :lol:

Washed the front end out East of the Sandy Valley where I separated my shoulder. Feeling much better already.

And he rode it both ways! nice!

Took Roger's advice from Friday nite talks & right down the center on the snow. Took my own advice and tried the high side uphill which started going off camber.

During the transition, I tried out for the ice dancing team (scored 3 outta 10). Landed on my back but managed to get my leg out from under the bike before impact.

Score - 1

This was my first dual-sport ride on my month and half old girl bike. Two months ago I was a TRX450R quad-tard and got to reading the WR205R Monster Thread on ADV. Had no thoughts of getting a bike what so ever. Saw Crawdaddy selling his snake oil and started a conversation with him about the bike and sport. Three weeks later, I joined the Crawdaddy Girl Bike Possee! Got invited to the ride and unfortunately for him, Ken (KKug) asked if anyone wanted to pair up. I offered, but in my defense, I also gave him the opprotunity to opt out of getting tagged with the noob. Little did he know the challenge that awaited him. Got to Primm and got ready Saturday morning. Then we were joined by Chris, Dan, Tracy and Javier (TrailTrick on ADV). So, when Dan showed up on a KTM, I knew I was in trouble. Chris and Tracy then showed up. Then Javier showed up on another girl bike so I thought there might be a chance of someone riding like me! Oh how wrong can someone be!!

Needless to say, I was way out of my league. These guys were awesome, fast, very experienced riders. After the first mile, I knew I was the boat anchor that would hold everyone up. Had some previous street experience, and my quad experience was next to useless, so I really was the noob. Throw in that the only riding I had really been doing was out at Plaster City/Superstition, and that I had never ridden gravel, ice or big rocks and you can only imagine how over my head I was. After item #1 below, I was ready to turn around and go back. To their detriment, and my benefit, all the guys told me to keep pushing. Then they said I had to go faster to ride the gravel. :blink: Yeah, I know I'm the anchor, but wouldn't it be easier to let me turn around than to try to kill me, as then they would have to haul my body back to Primm. Or maybe not! These guys really were evil! I really didn't believe them, but it was the first (not really, Ken started the night before, but it sounds better) of many great tips and pieces of advice I was given that day. Later in the day, after "Nice Truck" and and the first mine, I realized they were right. Then came the rocks, ice, whoops, etc. All this made Plaster City look like a sheet of asphalt. As I was getting the crap beat out of me and the bike, I really was calculating in my head how many miles in PC I would have to ride to beat the crap out of my bike this much. I came to the conclusion it was a factor of three to four PC miles for every Primm mile.

My day went downhill in the ice and rocks of the mountain. See items below. Other than my list below, the ride went slow but well. I honestly and truly can't thank my group enough for carrying my ass for 140 miles. I can't tell you how many times Ken turned around to make sure I was still moving, and if not, to help me get the bike up. I have to thank the rest of the guys for their assistance in getting the bike up after dropping it a bunch of times, and for riding sweep to make sure my happy ass wasn't dead on the side of the road. I would have never made it without these guys and their advice, lessons and encouragement.

Before this ride I was thanking Crawdaddy for all great advice and mentoring he has given me, and introducing me to a great sport. :) Then I got to the last mine/downhill decent. I was ready to kick his sorry ass. :) That saying "that which does not kill you...." is total movie crap. I was mad, tired, frustrated, exhausted, dropped the bike a couple of times, and honestly didn't know how I was going to convince my group to ride the bike down and then hike back up and ride their own down. I really didn't think I could do it. After a few good words and advice (see a recurring theme?) from the group, got on and and somehow got down to the bottom. Life was all good again, realized the saying was correct, was happy with Crawdaddy again, and looking forward to getting back.

Turns out on one of the ice drops, I sprained my left wrist and rode the last half with a decent pain on every gear shift. Good thing you can wring out the Girl Bike! Between the wrist, broken clutch and brake levers (see item 1b below), and a work issue that came up at 3 pm on Saturday that I had to take care of back in El Centro, I decided to bail on Sunday. Wish I could have stayed, and I think it would have been a blast, but had to run.

Thanks to all, and I appreciate the invite. Thanks especially to my group, even if you didn't get to ride as fast as you wanted.

-----------

DROPS

Well, I will need to come clean on all my drops, not just the ones on the ice. I think I have the record for the entire group. In fact, I may have had as many as the entire group! :angry:

1. On the gravel a few miles from the start. Stopped because my fender bag was coming off. As I was getting off the bike (first time I've ridden with a tail rack and gas bottles), I kicked the bottles and the bike came over. Speed = 0.

2. Through the whoops section, slowed to make a left turn and the front end washed out in a wash. Speed = 5.

3 and 4. Going up the mountain on the ice. Twice that I remember, but there could have been a third as I was so frustrated I began to lose count. One drop was immediately following the first, but I count them separate. Speed = 5.

5. Made it down the ice with no issues, until just past the ice, I tried to pass the Jeep on the right and dropped it right in front of the Jeep on the rocks. Speed = 5.

6 and 7.. Dropped it again on the loose gravel when I lost the front end in the loose gravel section right before the saloon, 50ft from where the group was stopped. Just like #3 and #4 above, another drop 5-10 ft from the first. Speed = 5-10.

8. Right near the first mine on the rocky trail. Hit a damn rock and the front end went out. That isn't what caused it! Came to a full stop, but was pointed up hill with the low side on my right. Took my right foot off the brake to put it down as it was leaning that way and I tried to stop it from falling to the right. Had hand on the front brake, but it was locked and the bike was sliding backwards. And leaning more and more to the right. Kept leaning more and more to the right until it hit the ground. Speed = -5. Yes, that is a minus.

9 and 10. Was doing great until the second mine. We went too far, was trying to turn around, and lost it. And again. Speed = 5.

11. That damn mine decent! Tried to go slow, rear was locked and it came out to the right. By this point I was so exhausted and frustrated I wanted to quit. Again, the group said to use a LITTLE front brake and keep rolling down the hill rather than trying to fight it. Sure enough, worked. Speed = 5.

There might have been another between #10 and #11, but I'm not 100% sure, and without visual proof from my group, I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt.

Notice a recurring theme in all my drops? See #6 below in Lessons.

------------

LESSONS

1. Listen to your elders. Every piece of advice Crawdaddy gave me was spot on. Like Deb, I took 98% of the advice. That 2% can leave you stranded or hurt.

1a. Crawdaddy said get a skidplate. Ran out of time before I had to leave and decided not to install it. On the CA model Girl Bike, you have to remove the charcoal canister, so it isn't a 5 min job. And not only that, but I had ridden out at PC, and the stock "guard" did well enough. Remember what I said about having not ridden with real rocks? I can't tell you how many times I thought I had cracked the case open and would leave a stream of oil. My only saving grace is that for the most part, someone was behind me ensuring I wouldn't be left for dead. I hoped they would at least see the oil coming out and let me know. Ended up with no issues.

1b. Crawdaddy said get barkbusters. I was ordering some from Highway Dirtbikes with the integrated mirrors, didn't have them before the ride and didn't want to drop another $80 for a set I would throw away. See above about two broken levers. Had a spare clutch, but didn't use it as my other one was still useable. Front brake was still useable till the end. Barely.

1c. Crawdaddy said get a radiator guard. Did this one!!! Saw many dents in it after the ride.

1d. Crawdaddy said get a rotor guard. Did this one!!! Chips and dings in the rear one, and it was bent in toward the rotor, but didn't touch.

1e. Crawdaddy said to get extra heavy duty tubes. Did this one!!! I can't tell you how many times I thought I destroyed the front wheel, but didn't have one flat. :)

2. Lesson #1 again. Ken said my front fender bag needed to be more secure and would come loose. Turns out it did. See drop #1.

3. Even though I thought I had enough tools/parts/stuff (two tubes, six air canisters, tools, etc), I see some of the things that happened to others and praise God they didn't happen to me, as I would have been sunk or would have to rely on the aid of others. Don't get me wrong, I ain't turning into no Strega and packing 40lbs of stuff in my Ogio! But, I do need to be more prepared.

4. Speed actually does help in more situations than I would have ever thought.

5. Gravel sucks. More than ice in my opinion.

6. I need to work on my slow speed handling. See #1-11 above. All under 5 mph. Most just losing balance. When you drop the bike once and get tired, it is easy to do again. Kind of a snowball effect.

7. There was scenery on this ride? And a mine or two? At least I was told afterward. When you are so focused on staying upright, you don't look around too much.

8. When experienced riders like Strega can get hurt, I was fortunate to only come away with a sprained wrist considering the above #1-11.

9. Preparation for the ride is critical. So is post ride stuff. Bought a new camera and failed to get a SD card reader, therefore I can't post any of the four pictures I took. Will have to edit and post later. That is what happens when you go from a 1.2 MP camera bought in 2002 to a 12.2 MP camera bought the day before the ride.

10. Hanging out and meeting a great group of people is as much fun as riding!

Thanks for a great ride to Crawdaddy and Strega.

Jim R.

Bagstr = 2

Cleaned it this year.

Not so lucky in the same spot exactly 1yr/5days ago with ShocknAwe. Broke my left hand re-doing LAB2V 2008

Since then I've been on ice twice.

This ride was the most recent.

Other ride was return home from Vegas to Big Bear via Pioneertown. Thanksgiving weekend LAB2V 2009

Unfortunately the attached video stops early into the 10-15 mile section of the worst ice. Took me almost three hours but I never dropped it

But what I learned about ice is:

#1 DONT DO IT UNLESS ABSOLUETLY NECESSARY

Ride the unpacked shoulder

Ride the unpacked area typically between the tire ruts, middle of trail.

No abrupt changes of direction, throttle, brake, body.

And don't be afraid to put the outriggers out and ski.

Momentum, rocks, gravel, dirt and are your friend.

Dave,

As for me seeing you crash? The video, we'll call "Exhibit #1" Clearly does not show you crashing, nor is the riders face visible, nor does it show the presence of any eyewitnesses.

Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that some wild mountain creature, possibly a bear, jumped on to the trail, and pushed you down.

Let me also say thanks to everyone for welcoming me to the group. Bagstr, Sneeker, Captcham, ShocknAwe.

And especially Crawdaddy and others that planned and organized this ride.

Red Rock scenic loop up to the Rock Graden.

I hope to retrun the favor come spring time. Up in Big Bear.

I'll BB-Q or roast a pig at my place for the group.

Not to mention 100's of miles of cool mountain trails.

See you all in Anza at the DD

Thanks again.

On the bike maybe.....but falling on your ass walking counts too! :angry::) ...............I'm putting you down for 1 (bikeless) Slam!

Crawdaddy selling his snake oil.........Crawdaddy said.........Crawdaddy said...........Crawdaddy said.........

I think I've discovered the root cause of your difficulties :angry::)

Glad you came out Jim! Hopefully you had the best worst ride ever!

On the bike maybe.....but falling on your ass walking counts too! :angry::) ...............I'm putting you down for 1 (bikeless) Slam!

Does it count if I fell walking down the ice to help someone??

You didn't see it, you 'heard' about it. Must not have happened.

" possibly a bear, jumped on to the trail, and pushed you down." Johnnybags

Ice Snakes, I definitely saw Ice Snakes

BTW, Nice video

Does it count if I fell walking down the ice to help someone??

You didn't see it, you 'heard' about it. Must not have happened.

I saw it, then darn near did the same thing in the same exact spot! duh

with all this stuff coming out, and pictures...i realized i needed to look around a little more.

nose on the trail worked...but damn i guess i'll have to go back for a reviewing!!

that video, i think i was in the pack behind you, saw most of those hikers shown.

in the rock garden, i think Justin was photographer...did you get one of me, Justin? :)

:angry:...that video made me wanna go riding today!! heck even wore my safety orange, too!!

i was thinking about something...we have a bit of pictures, a bit of video etc...

is there a possibility that we could make a "map" with "hotlinked" icons for example...like the Red Rocks video up to rock garden.

have a linked icon for that area...with poss pics(*ie: the photographer at the end of the video) as "markers", if you will.

a Mosaic of the ride from a group perspective....is this possible??

:)...wondering things on this rainy day *sigh*