carguy

GPS converters

Hopefully there are some electronic tech's out there

I have a gramin etrex vista, b&w. It eats up AA batteries. So I bought a cig adapter and wired it into the bikes 12v system. After 2 hours it fried. The company sent a new one. 2 rides, it fried. :D

I now have 2 fried adapters and do not wish to deplete the worlds supply of adapters.

What I would like to know is who makes a 12v to 3.3v converter that is small and can withstand vibriation and temps 20-120F?

I would also like to keep the cost down as I am already in it for about a 30 note.

I can wire it into the burned out adapters and fix this problem.

Your help would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

I never used the cig adapters, I hard wired mine to the battery, put in an in line fuse, and used a 2 prong trailer connector so I can easily unplug it.

I believe something like this is your best solution.

John, contact http://www.Cycoactive.com. :blink: They had all the right answers and products to solve my power coversion questions for hardwiring GPS. Shoot them an e-mail and they will hook you up.

This is bit of info from their site....

For GPSs used on motorcycles, the most common problem is vibration induced shutdown. All of this discussion below pertains to use of a GPS in a vibrating environment. It is most important on 2-strokes, singles, and some twins, less on 3, 4, 6 cyl motorcycles, unless the motorcycle is often used at very high RPMs. For more info, see battery tips.

Garmin GPSs have a computer chip running inside (some have an Intel 386 and others have an ARM) which can get confused and shutdown or freeze if the power supply is not smooth. If your motorcycle does not have a LARGE battery, see battery tips. If you have hardwired your GPS to the motorcycles 12VDC supply and you are still getting shutdown, do these three things:

1) Eliminate any possible source of disconnection under vibration. No spring-type fuses allowed, use blade-type. Note that inside the Garmin power cord, there is a spring-type fuse holder, this is a problem. We recommend that you tap directly into the motorcycle's 12vDC supply if possible.

2) If you have installed a cigarette lighter socket on the bike, that connection itself is a likely source of disconnection. Use tape to immobilize it, and use dielectric grease on the contacts.

3) Use dielectric grease on every connection, especially if you elect to retain the spring-type fuse holder inside the Garmin cigarette lighter adapter. Take the fuse out and put dielectric grease on every little part in the power path. Do it now, before the sparking contaminates all of the connection points. Once you've contaminated the metal coatings on the terminals (or sanded it off), the contamination gets worse. Use Dielectric grease from the beginning.

If you are using an eTrex, eMap, GPS12 or Rino, then you MUST retain the voltage reducer on the Garmin cig-lighter cord, and you must put Dielectric grease on all the connections in the power path. The circuitboard on the G10203 adapter must be hardened for motorcycle use especially for singles and twins. Also see GCE3VC and 065-0116 for eMap/eTrex/Geko.

John, contact http://www.Cycoactive.com. :blink: They had all the right answers and products to solve my power coversion questions for hardwiring GPS. Shoot them an e-mail and they will hook you up.

This is bit of info from their site....

For GPSs used on motorcycles, the most common problem is vibration induced shutdown. All of this discussion below pertains to use of a GPS in a vibrating environment. It is most important on 2-strokes, singles, and some twins, less on 3, 4, 6 cyl motorcycles, unless the motorcycle is often used at very high RPMs. For more info, see battery tips.

Garmin GPSs have a computer chip running inside (some have an Intel 386 and others have an ARM) which can get confused and shutdown or freeze if the power supply is not smooth. If your motorcycle does not have a LARGE battery, see battery tips. If you have hardwired your GPS to the motorcycles 12VDC supply and you are still getting shutdown, do these three things:

1) Eliminate any possible source of disconnection under vibration. No spring-type fuses allowed, use blade-type. Note that inside the Garmin power cord, there is a spring-type fuse holder, this is a problem. We recommend that you tap directly into the motorcycle's 12vDC supply if possible.

2) If you have installed a cigarette lighter socket on the bike, that connection itself is a likely source of disconnection. Use tape to immobilize it, and use dielectric grease on the contacts.

3) Use dielectric grease on every connection, especially if you elect to retain the spring-type fuse holder inside the Garmin cigarette lighter adapter. Take the fuse out and put dielectric grease on every little part in the power path. Do it now, before the sparking contaminates all of the connection points. Once you've contaminated the metal coatings on the terminals (or sanded it off), the contamination gets worse. Use Dielectric grease from the beginning.

If you are using an eTrex, eMap, GPS12 or Rino, then you MUST retain the voltage reducer on the Garmin cig-lighter cord, and you must put Dielectric grease on all the connections in the power path. The circuitboard on the G10203 adapter must be hardened for motorcycle use especially for singles and twins. Also see GCE3VC and 065-0116 for eMap/eTrex/Geko.

I sent them a e-mail,

Thanks Aaron

There is some good information available from http://www.powerletproducts.com/. My buddy at work suggested this company for my GPS powering needs on the bike.

I'm considering getting this Multifit Cigar socket kit in order to power the GPS on the bike. I could then use the existing car adapter on the bike.

Another option would be to put on one of their Powerbar BMW type connectors and then buy the USB GPS Power Cable.

It looks like there are several advantages of using the BMW type connector vs. a standard cigar socket. Better resistance to weather and vibration, but more expen$ive.

I'm considering getting this Multifit Cigar socket kit in order to power the GPS on the bike. I could then use the existing car adapter on the bike.

Another option would be to put on one of their Powerbar BMW type connectors and then buy the USB GPS Power Cable.

It looks like there are several advantages of using the BMW type connector vs. a standard cigar socket. Better resistance to weather and vibration, but more expen$ive.

The cigar adapter can be purchased for about $4, some wire and a fuse you can install one for about $10.

The adapters for the GPS (Cirgar type) can't handle the vibration. Although they make one that is supposed to, but want almost $80 for it. Too Much!

The best way to wire a GPS on a Dual sport is hard wire it. Less points of contact less chance of falure.

I am still trying to find a cheaper alternative.

I agree - "Hardwire" to your battery is the way to go......I agree (again) - go to the CycoActive website and search for your specific model of GPS....the hardwire kit for my Garmin 60CSx was less than $30.....I bought 2 - one for my dual sport bike and one for my road bike.....

http://www.cycoactive.com/

I may have found my solution. As mentioned I had a couple of fried cig adapters. I cut the lead that goes to the gps off. Bought a DC converter for 8 bucks. Modified it and hard wired it to the bike with a fuse and switch. I shall test it on all future rides. :D

Thanks for the input and I will keep all up to date on the progress. B) Hope it works on the trail. :D