KTMrad

Smaller, Privately Owned Shops for Repair Work

Please post your recommendations for shops you trust and have a good reputation........

THIS IS NOT FOR DEALERS, but Smaller Privately Owned Shops.

The smaller, privately owned shops that have a good reputation are sometimes the way to go. You tend to get more personal service and you usually know who is working on your bike, and they usually stand behind their work better than dealers.

I suggest the following smaller, privately owned shops for repair work:

National City Motorcycle 619-474-2025 - Rob and Mike are the owners, they do good work.

Poway Motorcycle 858-748-6811 - have a friend Dave that works there, and the owner Bill is a good guy and he is an FJ1200 guru.

Kon Tiki Motorcycles in Pacific Beach 858-272-6751 - Alex the owner is a great guy, he is a certified KTM mechanic (used to work at Rocket Motorcycles), but Alex doesn't have time to work on 950's, but he does work on other bikes and his mechanic Mike is really good.

Martin's Motorcycle Specialties

Santee - 619-334-3316 Jim Martin, owner

I take my Ducati Elefant and KTM's to GP Motorcycles, of course, they stand behind their work, and I know Paul the owner for years.

C&D Cycle Center - (858) 277-3298 - Steve Grieb runs the joint, he's a racer and dual sport rider, will take good care of you. All shop work I take to him now.

C&D Cycle Center - (858) 277-3298 - Steve Grieb runs the joint, he's a racer and dual sport rider, will take good care of you. All shop work I take to him now.

+1 Never had anything but good service.

MOTOTECH, located in Vista. John just rebuilt my top end and the bike runs great. I've had nothing but trouble finding a good shop willing to go the extra mile on my older DRZ.

Herman Tuning of Vista. In Vista, good guys and good service.

I've had a couple bikes in to Herman Tuning, and both times ended up with a bill far higher than expected. Plus, after they rebuilt our CRF230 motor, it seized after less than 10 hours. I'm not impressed with them obviously.

I do all my tire business with Mike at Full Throttle Power Sports in Santee.

He will usually beat any price and does the mounting on the spot.

Martin's Motorcyle Specialties - Owner Jim Martin 619-334-3316

10039 Prospect Ave #C

Santee, CA 92071

http://martinsmotos.com

He's been great with my DRZ, and I've seen KTMs with the other jap dual sports there as well..

+2 .... I buy all my lubricants, tires, etc there... and he (and Aaron) does all my engine work.

I've known Steve for a long time. And in fact, used to buy from the previous owners of the shop (Cameron and Dave - hence the name). Steve and I have raced against each other, and ridden together in the US and Baja. Good guy to know when it comes to "bike stuff".

Brian Craft has been the "guy at the counter" lately, another rider/racer who is super friendly and will help ya out when needed.

I have been using Alan Fox in Alpine for 15 years, Alan Fox Engine Works 619-445-1415. He is a racer, family man and has been doing motors, suspension, mods, whatever since the 3-wheeler days. I really like the fact that he checks the whole bike instead of just seeing the issue that it was brought in for, oh yeah he sells oil, filters, tires, etc. I highly recommend him for any bike you have.

Since this thread popped up, I'll comment on my previous comment about C&D. I was not happy with my son's DRZ since it would only run for about 10 minutes after getting it home. They did eventually offer to make it right but that was only after I posted a negative comment here and it was brought to their attention. My son didn't make DS a priority so the bike is still sitting.

I tried to give the head work on the DRZ to Alan Fox after the Uncle's post re the shop but I could never connect with the guy. Voicemails, no call backs, "he's not here" from whomever answered the phone. Didn't seem like he needed the business.

I do most of my work myself but if I have to use someone, a master does exist! Itami motorcycle repair in imperial beach on palm ave, his reputation is so good that he doesnt even have his store front door open, you have to call him before bringing stuff to his shop, its been a couple years since I have seen him but have known him 35 yrs when he was a kawasaki factory mechanic and know his shop is still in business since I have passed it several times this year. Prices have always been fair to me. alyeska

Martin's Motorcyle Specialties - Owner Jim Martin 619-334-3316

10039 Prospect Ave #C

Santee, CA 92071

http://martinsmotos.com

He's been great with my DRZ, and I've seen KTMs with the other jap dual sports there as well..

I've met Jim Martin a few times now, and finally stopped by his shop in Santee yesterday. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable. He'd like to get more dualsport guys in there, so if you're looking for a good place for service and parts, please check his shop out.

He has a couple KTM's himself, so he knows those bikes as well as all others. He also has a certified Harley mechanic on staff, and he's got a lot of business with the Harley crowd.

I invited him to attend one of our club meetings, he said he would like to do that.

I'm in South Orange County, so I of course go around here when I need to. I have used these guys before

http://www.performance-motorsports.net/default.asp They are a Yamaha dealer actually. They were a Suzuki and Honda dealer, then just a Suzuki, now they are a Yamaha dealer. Always treat me right, I buy alot of stuff from them. They did work on one of my KTM's before and treated me right. Only about 5 or 6 guys work there and all are riders. I have had some friends go to San Clemente Rider Supply. They have screwed up a few bikes. They took something like 3 or 4 months to fix the top end of an XR400R, and it had to go back in twice due to mistakes. They eventually got it right, but too many mistakes.

CLAIREMONT CYCLE SUPPLY

7843 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard

San Diego, CA 92111

Kearny Mesa

(858) 571-5531

Owner operated. Not a huge stock of parts but can be ordered/received within a day or two. Support the local shops!! :D

CLAIREMONT CYCLE SUPPLY

7843 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard

San Diego, CA 92111

Kearny Mesa

(858) 571-5531

Owner operated. Not a huge stock of parts but can be ordered/received within a day or two. Support the local shops!! :D

Yes, Jaime at Clairemont Cycle Supply is a good guy.

Took my front hub, spokes, nipples (heehee) and new/used front rim there for assembly. Great communication, wheel complete two days before scheduled, reasonable price.

What's not to like?

Thanks, guys!