Joliet

New GPS Garmin 60CSX

I just installed my new RAM mount today and I want to get some software loaded for my Garmin 60CSX.

What is the best software to load for the type of offroading we do? I am a total rookie at the GPS stuff.

And whats the deal with the GPS using minutes to 3 decimal places, and Google earth using minutes and seconds? How do you get them to (talk) to each other? Ken

I also recommend Garmin Roads and Rec, has a lot of off-road trails and dirt roads.

I just installed my new RAM mount today and I want to get some software loaded for my Garmin 60CSX.

What is the best software to load for the type of offroading we do? I am a total rookie at the GPS stuff.

And whats the deal with the GPS using minutes to 3 decimal places, and Google earth using minutes and seconds? How do you get them to (talk) to each other? Ken

Hey Ken, I bought the US topo as well and was able to down load to my etrex vista.

I am still a rookie on most of the stuff, but Google Earth understands the info and I can upload my tracks directly and overlay on thier maps. It is kinda cool to look where we went 3D, Satelite.

Here is some of the new years ride. It turned off a few times and there was more West, but you get the picture.

Posted Image

That is just a preference setting on the Garmin software. It can be changed to whatever format you want.

Where are ya located? I am fairly savy with the Garmin stuff and wouldnt mind showing ya around the software if you'd like.

That is just a preference setting on the Garmin software. It can be changed to whatever format you want.

Where are ya located? I am fairly savy with the Garmin stuff and wouldnt mind showing ya around the software if you'd like.

I am up in Vista. I havnt bought the topo, or the street software yet. It is pretty pricy and I am waiting to get exactly what I need and find the best price before I buy it. When I do, I could use some pointers. Thanks,Ken

Where have you guys found the best prices for Mapsource and US TOPO? I find it kind of strange that I am gullible enough to pay $435 for a GPS and mount and then have to spend a couple hundred more for software to get it to do what I need it to do. I took it for its first ride Saturday, didn't get 10 miles and it shut off, I assume from vibration. Next time I will try some foam to hold the batteries in place and dielectric grease on the connections. So far I am not that thrilled with it. How many of you guys have them wired into the bikes electrical system?

So far I am not that thrilled with it. How many of you guys have them wired into the bikes electrical system?

Ken, I am working on hard wiring the GPS to the bike. Should know by Thursday.

I bought my US TOPO from walmart.

I also have a 60CSx. Hard wire it....it's the only way to go......my son uses my old Garmin V on the YZ and can't hard wire it because it's stator driven not battery.......blows through batteries and the vib knocks it out sometimes.......

In terms of software, I use the City Streets and Parks and Rec disks......the Parks and Rec disk is great......all the main trails/washes we rode in this weekend were on my GPS (complete with names) thanks to the Parks and Rec disk.

60CSx hardwire kit - ~$30

I too am new to the whole GPS thing. I have a Garmin 60Cx, Ram mount, and a hard wire kit from Cycoactive. It works great on my XRL. I use the Garmin Mapsource CityStreets software but want to upgrade to a topo software but didn't know what was best. Thanks for everyone's input. I use my GPS for geocaching. Dualsports and geocaching are a great pair! Try it if you haven't yet! :)

Anybody with the 60csx try any of these instructional videos?

http://tinyurl.com/2mvlev

http://tinyurl.com/2tn4dz

I think I need to get one if I want to have a snowball's chance in hell of learning the basics of this gps by the baja trip.

I'm sure some day I'll look back fondly and think how amusing it was when I didn't understand how to use it. But right now, it's just a big boatload of suck...

This seemed like the most likely place to put this. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

After reading all of the posts on GPS and leaving printouts around my house (what, with Christmas coming and all), my wife directed me to Best Buy today. Hmmmm. :lol:

I don't know if Garmin makes a special run for them but theirs comes with a 128 MB card instead of the 64 on Garmin's site and other online retailers. I don't know if this is going to matter based on some of the mapping software needs. Since I am completely new to GPS, some help would be appreciated to complete my gift wish list.

I have the software recommendations....is a 2G card the way to go?

Also, Best Buy price matched WalMart online and we went out the door for $299. No tax. It's the GPSMAP 60CSx bundle with the Mapsource Trip & Waypoint software. :lol:

Suggestions for the list....fire away.

Thanks!

2gb card is the way to go. You can load the entire West Coast Topo and Roads and Rec's on it.

I also have a 60CSx, I'm sensing a theme here.

Topo and City Navigator are the best in my opinion. I got two cards, both 2G. Each has the whole US on it, one Topo, the other Mapsource.

You definitely want to hardwire it. I've got hardwires on both my bikes.

I have had no problems transferring tracks to Google Earth and routes from Google maps to my Garmin.

Thx. 3 software & 2 hardwire sets (can't leave the V-Strom out) Now to read the RAM mount threads.

Appreciate the help.