Mac250R

GPS...worth the price?

I'm considering asking Santa for a GPS system this Christmas but wanted to get more information. I've used roll chart maps on the Desert Dash rides but found them tough to navigate when my KTM's odometer varies by terrain from the distance given on the roll chart map. Knowing when to make turns in areas outside of designated roads is tough. I'll admit that I've been slightly off track when I missed a turn in a sand wash last year near the Borrego Springs dump.

Can someone please tell me how the GPS helps you stay on the mapped route with the designated turns and distances? For example, will the GPS indicate exactly when and where to turn? If so, how does it indicate that you're following the right trails? Each stop that requires you to "zero out" your odometer with the roll chart map takes time with my odometer. Do you have to do the same with the GPS unit? Some riders were downloading their maps on their GPS system the night before the ride in the campground clubhouse. What's involved here? Are the systems also compatible with Mac computers?

Any answers and information on brands and models would be much appreciated!

Mac

It's a lot easier to show than to describe... I would suggest getting on a ride with someone that can demonstrate.

Regarding tracks: A short answer is the GPS will not tell you specifically where to turn, though it can be very close depending on the resolution of the track (if it hasn't been filtered down too much). The basic function of a GPS is to tell you precisely where you are on Earth. Which direction you are travelling is either extrapolated from your last move, or from an electronic compass if so equipped.

When you know where you are, and the GPS overlays that information over a track that someone else has recorded (as provided at the Desert Dash for example), then you in most cases will be able to stay on track, or get back on track easily with some practice. A roll-chart is still recommended for written instructions and other advisement.

Separately, a GPS can have routeable navigation software that can give you specific turn directions, but that is for roads documented by the GPS software (which many desert roads will be excluded). Tracks that I referred to before are custom "bread-crumbs" someone has recorded for you to follow.

When traveling through an area unknown to you, a GPS with a track will have a large magenta (or some other color) line displayed on the map. It can be as easy as follow-the-line. If you notice the icon that represents your position deviating from the line, you correct your course.

Usually, the lines are associated with trails traveled previously by whomever created the track, so you will see visible cues. If you see the line makes a hard turn in a few hundred yards, you'll be looking for an obvious turn from the trail on which you're riding.

When it works, and it usually does, it's amazing. I'm still a n00b off-road, and GPS tracks supplied by others have allowed me to explore areas I'd have never found on my own.

The other obvious benefit is help navigate when lost. Sometimes its very simple. When I unload at the truck, I set my location. At any point in the ride, if I want to return, I just tell the GPS to point me in the right direction.

Yes, you should always carry a map. An electronic device in not a good alternative for common sense and a modicum of navigation skillz.

I posted a reply last night, but it didn't stick... I had suggested that if you can figure it out, it is absolutely worth the money... Strega. crawdaddy, sandiegoland and fake name were my suggested sages

Yea I got a Garmin a couple of weeks before my trip to Yosemite. Been so busy that I havent figured out how to work it. Wife is pissed cause it doesnt have maps and wont tell her when to turn. She wanted a Tom Tom.

Very helpful info.-thanks. Following a colored line seems like the best visual I could have to help guide me. Are the downloads only available for PC's? My next question is how much is the fee to subscribe to a satellite provider?

Very helpful info.-thanks. Following a colored line seems like the best visual I could have to help guide me. Are the downloads only available for PC's? My next question is how much is the fee to subscribe to a satellite provider?

satellite provider? If you mean to ask does it cost anything to access the satellites to triangulate your position... then the answer is that it is free :lol: No monthly charge or initial fee (well thier is one for the GPS hardware and maybe software/maps)

About Mac- Garmin has not been terribly helpful about a Mac interface until last year (or so) when they released RoadTrip, their Mac answer to Mapsource. I have run both on my macs, but I'm not a power user and had decent results with either.

That typed, there seems to be an issue with the latest Snowlepoard OS creating files that are not uploadable to the GPS. I experienced this issue myself, and am hoping for a software patch soon.

In the meantime, I have climbed the highest mountain and visited GPS Guru Strega for a tutorial. He uses GoogleEarth and GoogleMaps to create his routes, then converts them to gpx for transfer to the GPS unit- bypassing Mapsource completely. And he can do it with one eye tied behind his back.

Josh is correct, the satellites used in the GPS system are bought and paid for by your taxes. The GPS receiver, however, is not.

I may have missed the B-Day post, so Happy Birthday Mac!

Re GPS. I'm tech challenged but have managed to download files and follow them for hundreds of miles. Worth the price of admission in my book as there are rides I never would have been able to do without it.

Tons of info in the GPS section but if memory serves, buy Garmin, hardwire the power & add a lanyard/zip tie.

Embark on Strega training and be lucky enough to have a one on one with Crawdaddy....I did both. Learned a ton.

Happy shopping!

I have had a garmin 60 csx for a few months now..(the model most highly recommended to me).... great machine, but the book frankly sucks at directions on how to use, upload, download etc.....so I'm still fumbling,( even though I have used large GPS systems as a surveyor)....I think once it is figured out, it is great...I haven't taken the hours needed to read all the posts and go on line etc to get better tutorials......if any of you experts are willing, .I would buy all the pizza and beer and host a GPS party to get a better handle on the things the book is very unclear on....seems there are many of us club members that are in the same place..... as ken put it "tech challenged"...

I have had a garmin 60 csx for a few months now..(the model most highly recommended to me).... great machine, but the book frankly sucks at directions on how to use, upload, download etc.....so I'm still fumbling,( even though I have used large GPS systems as a surveyor)....I think once it is figured out, it is great...I haven't taken the hours needed to read all the posts and go on line etc to get better tutorials......if any of you experts are willing, .I would buy all the pizza and beer and host a GPS party to get a better handle on the things the book is very unclear on....seems there are many of us club members that are in the same place..... as ken put it "tech challenged"...

Wow! Now I can buy one of those new fangled GPS things with all the money I'll save not having to pay for "satellite air time!" (LOL). It reminds me a lot of my wife who questioned how my buddy and I could ever afford the air time we used for hours on the road talking on our CB radios! Guess we all have to learn sometime...Anyway, now I know what to shop for. Thanks for the B-Day greeting Trophy Hunter! I'll have to check posted rides and get out with one of you guys to see the GPS actually work on a dual-sport bike.

Duh.

I forgot this option: The Garmin Oregon is on sale at REI through the end of the month for $250. If I were not already underbudgeted and over gadgeted, I'd buy that one over the 60csx. Bigger screen and lots of goodies.

The place for more info about GPS and motorcycles is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....t=garmin+oregon

163 pages of chatter. I'd start at the last post and work my way back.

p