waited for a bit never saw hobie. So the 4 amigo papa, me, briana, and monkeybutt set out on what turned into a spectacular ride. We came to a fork in the road we had never taken. It was a road that we had seen before in the area and couldn't figure out how to get there. The road is sliced into a mountain that zig zags all the way to the top with about 15 switchbacks. Its fairly difficult to get to the top, but after a few falls and stalls we all made it to the summit. There was no way to capture the mountain in person so I made a google earth photo of it. You get the picture of the steep switchback heading up. Once you get to the top, the views are the best you can have anywhere around. You get a full 360 view of anza borrego, PC, salton sea, and mexico.

heres the mountain up.

4125362256_9d61c55239_o.jpg

papa taking in the view

4123354711_85b0fb730c_b.jpg

4124116932_129662eb09_b.jpg

4124117450_4751059462_b.jpg

4123389221_d8a5a65b2d_b.jpg

4123392361_bc30622251_b.jpg

open this one and click to make full size. full view from the top.

If you look close you can see papa in the bottom left on the trail below he give a good size perspective

4125329552_ca70d0224b_o.jpg

too bad no one new showed up. Maybe we'll see you on the next one. :o

too bad no one new showed up. Maybe we'll see you on the next one. :o

Go ahead, rub it in.

My foot rested.

view of split mountain, plaster city, superstition, plaster factory is over on the right side.

4124724991_6f944239ff_o.jpg

4123326595_0c838d995d_b.jpg

4124049580_8aee7708ac_b.jpg

vague image looking up at the switchbacks to come

4124213818_bb0b4d4fe6_b.jpg

4123442691_fd51deebff_b.jpg

4123954678_568e5eeea6_b.jpg

thanks monkeygirl for taking awesome photos.

Spaugh, Thanks for the entertainment for those of us stuck in town.

Monkeygirl, Nice camera work, you really captured an interesting place.

Is that Wash near the Flat Top Carrizo running east out of the Stage Stop?

Spaugh, Thanks for the entertainment for those of us stuck in town.

Monkeygirl, Nice camera work, you really captured an interesting place.

Is that Wash near the Flat Top Carrizo running east out of the Stage Stop?

From where we were you could see the very large wash that goes from the old stage route in AB runs through the marsh land, through corrizo impact area, and dumps out in PCW. Apparently making the above journey will win you a very hefty fine according to the AR15 toting toothless park ranger I've been so lucky to meet with on multiple occasion. Never tried doing it, because I don't want a ticket, but I did ask him about it. He said a few years back a father son duo decided to make said voyage and came upon an unexploded ordnance from WWII or Korea Era and set it off, killed em both. I think they ought to clean corrizo impact area up and make it a through route, but I guess that belongs in a different thread.

I think the marsh land is the kinda green looking stuff in the middle of this picture just to the right of monkey girls helmet:

4123392361_bc30622251_b.jpg

Nice pics of the area & always good to find a new route. Can't believe how desolate it looks out there. Would have made this one but painting & a kids soccer game overruled. Next time.

This one was a true EPIC, never done it before, will go again. Thanks everybody for the company.

"Stuck in the canyon" pictures?

papa.

Thanks for the write-up. We knew by looking at those switchbacks that was going to be a good road. Glad you guys found it. Can't wait to head up there. Did any of you have a gps? Ken

He said a few years back a father son duo decided to make said voyage and came upon an unexploded ordnance from WWII or Korea Era and set it off, killed em both. I think they ought to clean corrizo impact area up and make it a through route, but I guess that belongs in a different thread.

Way back in the 70's we did a long ride down into the park, went to the stage coach station and then into the impact area and out towards the plaster railroad and back north.

Had no idea it was littered with live ordance! I thought there were efforts to clean up the area and reopen it. Anyone know for sure?

I may or may not have ridden thru that area dozens of times. It's possible I went thru there with 10 other guys on one trip. There's a flat topped hill out there near the wash in the impact area that was the goal of what was called the Rambo ride. this was our normal ride out of Painted Gorge. It's been a few years but yes there was ordinance scattered all over, mostly 50 cal rounds but a lotta other stuff. There's a mining claim marker and a piece of exposed coral reef along with the usual unique desert artifacts and formations found in the badlands. I've never heard of an explosion from a piece of ordinance being run over by a dirt bike. I've witnessed what happens when you throw a flare into your fire but thats not the same thing. I think the exploding ordinace caused by being run over by a ORV may be an urban legend spread by the military the rangers or other agents of intolerance.

"Stuck in the canyon" pictures?

papa.

ya papa, at least this place didn't end up phantom III. Where is the helicopter smiley when you need it?

4124234408_8827a82664_b.jpg

I agree bombs going off is probably just folk lore. That range is the only one of the 4 that has live stuff in it though.

I like "rambo rides" there bill. Did you guys make it to the top of the flat top hill?

I dropped in a canyon without using my brain first. I'm getting a little too comfortable riding this bike. There was a cliff at the bottom so I had to turn around. Going down was much easier than going up. Lots of four letter words and a little push from my buddies and we were back on usable trails. ;) 2T rules.

4124235958_7325ba3fd9.jpg

4123467301_4373e48037.jpg

4123468065_09609d1e44.jpg

Heck, if you only had a map!

(Sorry, been waiting a long time to post that to ya!)

I dropped in a canyon without using my brain first.

Sounds familiar.......though my weekend "drop into a canyon" wasn't voluntary.......just stupid :):lol:

Wow, I was just looking at those pictures. Looks like a mini Erzberg out there. No I did not make the top of the table top hill but some of my buddies did.