Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy and Strega Loop the Grand Canyon

I guess the part that has me confused about the debate is the weight thing. At 280lbs the WR is only a couple breakfast burritos lighter than my Husky so even though I totally get the lighter is better thing and do more with less makes sense to me,,, I dont get the less power with more or the same weight part of the equation.

It's not just about the weight, it's also about the feel/power/fuel economy......sometimes less is more.......a somewhat gutless 250 might be better suited for put-put rides with family/friends.......which would also yield extended fuel economy/range on the stock tank, etc......I'm also very enticed by the workmanship and maintenance schedules on these bikes.......I've come to the realization that the way "I" ride I don't really need instant power or a lot of power (doesn't mean that I don't sometimes want it anyway :ph34r: )......I'm NOT a racer or a track guy......I'm a trail/ADV rider.....

High Five summed it up pretty well in the trail review of his WR450F vs. his WR250R: http://www.wrrdualsport.com/shoot-out/shootoutsingle

Excerpt:

"So, I trade bikes with the Krabill and reclaim my WR450F. Hit the magic button (love those thingy-ma-jigs), and launch. Now that’s what I’m talking about! Total awesome power! I run hard and don’t look back. Can’t hear anything behind me. I’ve got a GYTR Insert in the stock 450F Can. Did wonders for the bike. Must have left Krabill in the dust. I slow down and have a look behind. That turkey is right on my tail like some kind of Stealth Fighter (huh).

Oh well, got to forget about him and focus on my 450F. Enjoy that awesome power. After all, I truly LOVE my WR450F. But I soon realize that I’m kind of wrestling the bike to “hold my line”. Need really good throttle control. The power can easily push me off my line thru the loose stuff. Front end isn’t as stable as it used to be.

A few more miles go by…man, what’s this? I’m sweating! And getting some arm pump. Never noticed these things before. What is happening here? I’m realizing that I have to stay on my game to maintain total control of this big Blue Beast.

As we climb out over the hilltop and approach our return to camp, I find myself internalizing a mantra, “I love my 450, I love my 450, I love my 450.” I shut her down at a nice vantage point. A Texas sized panorama framing in a large (new) windmill farm in the distance. The Boone Pickens plan in action, I reckon.

Krabill slides alongside and just gives me a bewildered stare. He knows the routine. On the count of three, we kind of do a Rock-Paper-Scissors thing and throw out our pick. Except this time, I’m silent. It’s obvious what his thoughts are, but I’m reluctant to share mine…because suddenly, I’m not sure I like where this Shootout has taken me. Without a doubt, in a shockingly rare moment, I actually agree with a gleaming Krabill. R² has just bumped The Blue Beast off the trail. The "mantra" didn't work.

I made another solo run on Sunday morning to be sure. It was. I am. The WR250R was more comfortable, better handling, better planted, less fatiguing than my WR450F. YES, its down on power compared to the 450! I said it. Does that make you feel better? But that is the ONLY place the 450 beat R² out on the single track (from a pure Fun Factor vantage point, not a "Racing" vantage point). This shootout is not about Racing."

I'd be interested in riding the WR250R HARD in the desert to see how it stood up.

I will save you the trip. Trails - no problem. Desert - too underpowered for you.

I'd be interested in riding the WR250R HARD in the desert to see how it stood up.

I will save you the trip. Trails - no problem. Desert - too underpowered for you.

post-122-1255474014.jpg :ph34r:

seriously, though... if it does whatever the owner needs it to do, it's great!

I've never ridden one, but have loved all the Yamahas I have ever had (oh... except my spaghetti framed XT600)

FI- great

Weight- uh... acceptable

Power- uh...acceptable

Looks- good or better

Comfort- at least good

I only make fun of small displacement bikes, because I am a caveman... that also rides a WR250F and has a blast on it

Ya never know, this is a new bike I haven't ridden yet.

I'd likely keep the KTM 520 for open desert flogging.....that woudln't be part of the initial mission statement for this bike......

I only make fun of small displacement bikes, because I am a caveman... that also rides a WR250F and has a blast on it

I rode this bike Sunday, and can report a similar experience.

Excuse Me...Looks like two Old LC4s did the job just fine.

But I do pine for my Honda 55 Step-Through. Even then I would have died and gone to heaven if I could have swung a 90 Sport with the Scrambler Exhaust.

Ignore this opinion as it is offered by guy who dropped a bunch on the "Latest and Greatest".

Excuse Me...Looks like two Old LC4s did the job just fine

Yep, I LOVE my 620.....just sort of itching for a change after playing with it for a year......and, as said many times, looking for a smallish bike to put-put on with family AND use for ADV trips

The suspension on the WR250R stock won't handle aggressive desert flogging, but if you think HighFive was preaching the WRR Gospel before you should hear him now that he got the suspension done. I don't have the skill for hardcore desert flogging yet either so I don't know that I have experienced the bikes limitations.

I don't want to be "loud" but I have heard the FMF Q4 pipe and header combined with the mods I already have make a decent power boost and Thumper Racing has a 280cc kit for the bike which would be plenty of power for me. I really like the new Husaberg 390 thats a good size motor in my opinion.

Bummer, us new kids in the clubhouse can't see the pics in this ride report.  :(  I imagine the pic links are all 'broke' cause they were taken down a half dozen years ago.

Guess it's time to do this ride again and post new photos, then.

3 hours ago, tntmo said:

Guess it's time to do this ride again and post new photos, then.

..... OK!  I'll  bet there'll be a good list of folks signing on for the re-do.