Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy and Strega Loop the Grand Canyon

Totally A W E S O M E ! ! ! Great trip guys!

Thank you for the fabulous write-up and photos.

***** Five Stars, Five Thumbs UP !

After reading your great ride report and seeing the awesome pictures and wishing I was there with you I have come to one conclusion. I HATE YOU!

:lol:

Hey Crawdad, great RR. I need to hook up with you some day on one of your Ramona rides, get to know the area. ;)

BTW, next time you break a bolt like that, you really don't need a drill and an EZ-out. All you need is a slotted screwdriver and a hammer. Like the one I used on my buddy's Husky's broken subframe bolt :) :

261494606_nWJMc-XL.jpg

For more pics, here's a single post :lol:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...mp;postcount=57

(fixed!)

Chris,

Great write up on an epic trip. A very inspiring adventure. You guys sure packed a lot into 5 days.

Somewhere I thought I saw a post stating you are getting a 250, looked for it today and couldn’t find it. Was I hallucinating? If not I have a question. If you owned both the 620 and the 250 and were to do this trip again which would you choose? I’m guessing you haven’t had time on the 250 but still curious what your thoughts are.

Wayne

Somewhere I thought I saw a post stating you are getting a 250, looked for it today and couldn’t find it. Was I hallucinating? If not I have a question. If you owned both the 620 and the 250 and were to do this trip again which would you choose? I’m guessing you haven’t had time on the 250 but still curious what your thoughts are.

I haven’t sold my Superhawk and I haven't purchased a WR250R........but I AM intrigued by that bike from all I’ve heard/read about it and I may still pull the trigger on one.. …….that said, it's hard for me to imagine a bike better suited for the Grand Canyon loop than my 620 ADV......I don't even have to think about where the next fuel stop is on that bike because my range is so ridiculous (~300+ miles), it holds a boat load of oil, it's been mechanically reliable on multiple 1,000+ mile trips, the added weight actually HELPED when we were fighting some vicious winds down by Seligman/Peach Springs, the Renazco seat is pretty comfy, and the “give it to me” roar of the 620 thumper on some of those open stretches was a blast!……AND, despite their heft, we were also able to get the bikes down the Kane Trail, through a few rocky areas, through some deep sand washes, etc., etc. because the 620/640 KTMs aren’t THAT big/unmanageable..……so the 620 ADV is probably better suited to the ADV mission than the WR250R but the WR250R is likely a better “all rounder” …….I was thinking the WR250R might leave me less fatigued at the end of the day but I think the WR250R probably would’ve been MORE difficult to ride in some of the harsh winds we encountered…...though it would’ve been easier to muscle down the Kane Trail……I still think the WR250R would be a better bike to put-put around on during lollipop rides with family/friends so it’s still under consideration….....reliability, fuel injection performance, and ease of maintenance is more attractive "to me" (now) than instant power or a lot of top end speed......that's not "my" mission statement (anymore).....

So I’d like to reserve comment on the choice between a WR250R vs. 620 EGS-E until I have the opportunity to try a similar ride with a WR250R…....someday perhaps…...both bikes have their merits and I'm still very interested in the WR250R just to change things up a bit......though I'm not sure I have the budget or space to keep both bikes......

One thing I am (pretty) sure of is that "I" don't have much interest in a big twin anymore......."I'm" happy to endure long rides on thumpers or a mid size twin like Pasta's bike.......sure, a thumper will never be as smooth as a twin on the road.......and they don't have the retina melting top end speed of the big twins.........but they're more manageable off-road and that's what's important to "me".......don't get me wrong, I still think the 950SE is one of the sexiest bikes on the planet but it's also more weight/more power/less range than I need/want for the type of riding "I'm" interested in.....same equation applies to my Superhawk.......I'm just not that interested in riding the big twin sport bike anymore ( ;) ....Did I really type that? :lol: ).......my big twin on-road/off-road days are behind me........less is STILL more.......

So I’d like to reserve comment on the choice between a WR250R vs. 620 EGS-E until I have the opportunity to try a similar ride with a WR250R…....someday perhaps…...both bikes have their merits and I'm still very interested in the WR250R just to change things up a bit......though I'm not sure I have the budget or space to keep both bikes......

One thing I am (pretty) sure of is that "I" don't have much interest in a big twin anymore......."I'm" happy to endure long rides on thumpers or a mid size twin like Pasta's bike.......sure, a thumper will never be as smooth as a twin on the road.......and they don't have the retina melting top end speed of the big twins.........but they're more manageable off-road and that's what's important to "me".......don't get me wrong, I still think the 950SE is one of the sexiest bikes on the planet but it's also more weight/more power/less range than I need/want for the type of riding "I'm" interested in.....same equation applies to my Superhawk.......I'm just not that interested in riding the big twin sport bike anymore ( :o ....Did I really type that? :blink: ).......my big twin on-road/off-road days are behind me........less is STILL more.......

I am with you on this one Chris. Especially since I am a small guy I learned years ago that my XL250's just plain fit me for dualsport riding. The XL350R is about as big as want to go anymore. I have oversize desert tanks for both which I only really need riding areas out and around Page. You know how open those areas can be. Light weight, agility and fit to your body type are a real asset for this kind of riding, even in Page.

For street cruising my Yamaha Virago fits a small guy. Bigger is not always better especially at my age. B)

Zenosan,

Chris and I pulled up to the Honda Dealer just as Gawin was unlocking the front door. Couldn't have been timed any better. Thanks for the introduction, it sure helped us on our trip!!

Zenosan,

Chris and I pulled up to the Honda Dealer just as Gawin was unlocking the front door. Couldn't have been timed any better. Thanks for the introduction, it sure helped us on our trip!!

Great! Gawin is very helpful with stranded tourists in Page. I once saw him take off the kick starter from his own personal bike and sell it to a stranded tourist from New York who had broken the yoke. I like riding with him, he knows the area well. What did you guys need?

Great! Gawin is very helpful with stranded tourists in Page. I once saw him take off the kick starter from his own personal bike and sell it to a stranded tourist from New York who had broken the yoke. I like riding with him, he knows the area well. What did you guys need?

I broke a subframe bolt on the 640, and they had 1 bolt to replace it. I asked if they had an extra, and the mechanic Chad said, "I'll go look". He came back with another one and said, "I have good news and bad news, the good news is I have another bolt, the bad news is it came off my son's CFR50. This bolt is $6.50." I told him I'd give him $20 for the bolt, hehe. Funny that a subframe bolt on the 640 is the exact same bolt that comes off the rear sprocket on a CRF50. He had me fixed up in about 2 minutes and we were off to breakfast and back on the road.

One thing I am (pretty) sure of is that "I" don't have much interest in a big twin anymore......."I'm" happy to endure long rides on thumpers or a mid size twin like Pasta's bike.......sure, a thumper will never be as smooth as a twin on the road.......and they don't have the retina melting top end speed of the big twins.........but they're more manageable off-road and that's what's important to "me".......don't get me wrong, I still think the 950SE is one of the sexiest bikes on the planet but it's also more weight/more power/less range than I need/want for the type of riding "I'm" interested in.....same equation applies to my Superhawk.......I'm just not that interested in riding the big twin sport bike anymore ( :o ....Did I really type that? :blink: ).......my big twin on-road/off-road days are behind me........less is STILL more.......

I am with you on this one Chris. Especially since I am a small guy I learned years ago that my XL250's just plain fit me for dualsport riding. The XL350R is about as big as want to go anymore. I have oversize desert tanks for both which I only really need riding areas out and around Page. You know how open those areas can be. Light weight, agility and fit to your body type are a real asset for this kind of riding, even in Page.

For street cruising my Yamaha Virago fits a small guy. Bigger is not always better especially at my age. B)

Good thing I'm not selling my 950, you guys are hurting it's resale value. If Yamaha made a 450 like the WR250R I'd buy it.

Wayne

If Yamaha made a 450 like the WR250R I'd buy it.

I'm with ya there.

Chris,

"One thing I am (pretty) sure of is that "I" don't have much interest in a big twin anymore......."I'm" happy to endure long rides on thumpers or a mid size twin like Pasta's bike.......sure, a thumper will never be as smooth as a twin on the road.......and they don't have the retina melting top end speed of the big twins.........but they're more manageable off-road and that's what's important to "me".......don't get me wrong, I still think the 950SE is one of the sexiest bikes on the planet but it's also more weight/more power/less range than I need/want for the type of riding "I'm" interested in.....same equation applies to my Superhawk.......I'm just not that interested in riding the big twin sport bike anymore ( :o ....Did I really type that? :blink: ).......my big twin on-road/off-road days are behind me........less is STILL more......."

I'm down on that with you buddy.

Dave

If Yamaha made a 450 like the WR250R I'd buy it.

I'm with ya there.

Ditto

If Honda made a modern XL250r or XL350r with both e-start and kick start, air cooled and a 30" seat hight I would buy it. They don't so I am keeping my early 80's versions. B)

You don't need motocross suspension for trail ridiing. :ph34r:

"If Wishes Were Horses Beggars Would Ride"

You don't need motocross power either (though the Tim Allen part of my persona finds it very difficult to admit/type that B) )

I'm sure Jaynen has seen this comparison of WR450F vs Wr250R in a variety of conditions (road/track/trail).......interesting/seemingly unbiased report........page through it......they came to the conslusion that "Less is More" (on the trail): http://www.wrrdualsport.com/shoot-out/shootoutintro

You don't need motocross power either (though the Tim Allen part of my persona finds it very difficult to admit/type that B) )

I'm sure Jarnen has seen this comparison of WR450 vs Wr250R in a variety of conditions.......interesting/seemingly unbiased report........page through it......they came to the conslusion that "Less is More": http://www.wrrdualsport.com/shoot-out/shootoutintro

Interesting Chris.

By the way Gawin has more than once tried to sell me a CRF230. But I let him sit on my XL seat and compare it to the 2x4 seat on the 230. No comparison. Also, my guess is Honda will be punching out the 230 to either 250 or 300 in the near future.

By the way Gawin has more than once tried to sell me a CRF230. But I let him sit on my XL seat and compare it to the 2x4 seat on the 230. No comparison. Also, my guess is Honda will be punching out the 230 to either 250 or 300 in the near future.

My CRF230 seat is more comfortable than the EXC 520.....

Gawin told us Honda may not be releasing any new dirt dualsport/trail models for a while since sales have slumped so badly the last year or two......too much inventory sitting around to pump out new models.......sounds like a lot of dealers are sitting on 650Ls, 230s, etc......though I'd imagine sales of the 450X/250X remain strong.....

So- how do you deal with the short fuel range on the small bikes? But a $439 Aqualine tank?

Those tanks ARE a fortune, but not THAT much more expensive than an acerbis, clarke or IMS tank... Who runs a stock tank any way? My TW (now YOUR TW) sipped gas, so that the stock tank on that bike yielded more miles than the bigger tank on the DRZ

which is not to be confused with my supporting a 250 as a touring bike... big dog and crawdaddy are nuts

So- how do you deal with the short fuel range on the small bikes? But a $439 Aqualine tank?

It's not THAT short.......the stock ~2 gallon tank on the WR250R nets you ~120 mile range since the bike gets ~60+ miles/gallon (Big Dog ran his dry at 137) ......I'd probably just attach a rotopax (as Jaynen does) for those RARE occasions where the stock range won't suffice......a 2 gallon rotopax takes you up to a ~225+ mile range......I'm not too crazy about the look or cost of the Aqualine tank.

When we rode the Lake Powell Loop with Don and Gawin last Spring it was interesting to see their bike selections.......Don rode a 250 and Gawin, who owns the Honda shop and can ride whatever Honda he choses to ride, saddled up on a XR200........we went out and rode a ~110 loop......no problem on their stock/puny tanks.....

I guess the part that has me confused about the debate is the weight thing. At 280lbs the WR is only a couple breakfast burritos lighter than my Husky so even though I totally get the lighter is better thing and do more with less makes sense to me,,, I dont get the less power with more or the same weight part of the equation.

I haven't ridden the 250R, but I have ridden the WR250F and the WR450F, both 07 models. I liked them both, a lot. The 250 wanted more RPM's to deliver power than the 450 did. The 450 feels like you're cheating because you don't have to shift as much. You can be at low rpm and hammer the throttle and the power is there. Granted, the 450 has the smog block off kit, JD Jet Kit, and the Pro moto Billet pipe insert, but so did the 250. I liked the 450 a LOT better. I especially liked the 450 better in the woop sections, as it was easier to have power RIGHT NOW when I needed it to get the front end of the bike off the ground.

I see all the advantages to the 250; EFI, valve check interval (26k?), Oil change interval, etc. I just wish Yamaha would make a WR450R. I want all the delicious power in the bigger bore, I know I would not be ultimately happy with a 250. Also, if you're gonna load up a 250 with a Safari Tank, RotoPax, Dirt Bagz, etc.....you're gonna need $800 in suspension work to get it all dialed in unless you only plan to pimp around on it. That's a LOT of extra weight on an already underpowered machine.

I'd be interested in riding the 250R HARD in the desert to see how it stood up.

...Gawin, who owns the Honda shop and can ride whatever Honda he choses to ride, saddled up on a XR200....

To my surprise, coming down the hill into the flat, he poured on the coals and I chased him. He took off like a bandit, and I buried the throttle to catch him, pull up next to him, doing 80 mph. Yes, 80mph on an XR-200. I was very very impressed.

I average about a 140-160 mile range on my stock XL tanks before reserve. The tanks average 2 1/2 gals. The Clarke Desert Tank ($180) brings it up to around 3 gals. I rarely need it.

Don't know the size of newer bike's tanks.

...Gawin, who owns the Honda shop and can ride whatever Honda he choses to ride, saddled up on a XR200....

To my surprise, coming down the hill into the flat, he poured on the coals and I chased him. He took off like a bandit, and I buried the throttle to catch him, pull up next to him, doing 80 mph. Yes, 80mph on an XR-200. I was very very impressed.

Gawin is an old Honda desert racer, his XR200 is not stock. He rides an XR400 when he wants to get serious. That's when I bring out the Husky 390. :ph34r: