If you ride out of Sedona toward Mormon Lake be prepared for temps ranging from 90s to 60s. No joke, elevation rises quickly North of Sedona.

Yep, truly the land of big temp swings........just checked the extended forecast for our Grand Canyon Loop........temps will swing from high 80s to overnight lows below freezing near the North Rim......good thing we're hitting the North Rim mid day on Friday......also looks like the rain may hold off until next Sunday......I sure hope so.....those roads will be nasty if they're saturated.....

I hope I can motivate Kathy to go to Sedona in a few weeks to meet up with our friends.......she's not too crazy about the long drive to get over there.......I keep telling her the pay-off is worth the drive......Sluto's Schnebly pics oughta help the cause.......thanks guys

Come on guy 10 pages on informal and only 4 pages of write for a 3day ride you can do better than that

Well; we got a lot more riding in than pictures taken...

I might have a few more pics, but basically..we're done

Time to start planning the next one

Come on guy 10 pages on informal and only 4 pages of write for a 3day ride you can do better than that

What more can be said? We all went, some at different times, we all rode. Then we all went home. We all enjoyed ourselves despite falling and battering our bikes and bodies.

'nuff typed.

But next time you should go!

What more can be said? We all went, some at different times, we all rode. Then we all went home. We all enjoyed ourselves despite falling and battering our bikes and bodies.

'nuff typed.

No journalism majors in your group..... <_< :punish: :blink:

'nuff typed.

No journalism majors in your group..... <_< :punish: :blink:

Well, I was forbidden to take pictures a several months ago, so I can't really help. I think I was told to "keep my camera in my bag", and I've followed that advice. Now, if we want to reconsider that...

Sorry.

p

Well, I was forbidden to take pictures a several months ago, so I can't really help. I think I was told to "keep my camera in my bag", and I've followed that advice. Now, if we want to reconsider that...

Sorry.

Hmmm, I must have missed that.....and probably lucky that I did. But, while excellent writing can't replace photographs, it can still paint some vivid pictures in a write up. :punish:

You are always welcome to take pictures on any of my trail rides.

And now back to our regularly hi-jacked topic. <_<

Your moment of zen

Arizona09057.jpg

Arizona09058.jpg

Great report!! Thanks for the pics!! :lol: Did the cop know your knobbies were not DOT approved? :acute:

It was an excuse to stop and probe...my back tire WAS dot and Jons front was dot...beezzz was destined for the hoosgow...

They were actually pretty cool about it. An excuse to run for warrants, which luckily none of us had.

Posted at the same time as bikeslut.

Between the two of us we had a complete set of DOT tires. Just not on the same bike. They didn't look closely at the tires, I'm sure they assumed they weren't DOTs, but we weren't going to argue with the decision to give us a lecture on the laws of Arizona a warning and send us on our way.

They were actually pretty cool about it. An excuse to run for warrants, which luckily none of us had.

Well, at least nothing current... :lol:

It was an excuse to stop and probe...my back tire WAS dot and Jons front was dot...beezzz was destined for the hoosgow...

Bob

Did he give any indication what tipped him off that they were not DOT? I often wondered if they had a particular tread design of nobbies they looked for. My D606s have a pretty hard to see "DOT" in small lettering.

Don

Bob

Did he give any indication what tipped him off that they were not DOT? I often wondered if they had a particular tread design of nobbies they looked for. My D606s have a pretty hard to see "DOT" in small lettering.

Don

I asked him, after establishing that I was compliant and friendly, why he stopped us... "knobbies on the street"... "uh...this one is dot"... "THAT one isn't (pointing at Jon's bike)"... I left it at that... in my mind... YOU can see a dot designation on a moving tire?!?!?!!? DAMN!!! You are GOOD!!!! Seeing that you are obviously clairvoyant, I expect a ticket for the wheelie, nonfunctioning turn signal, edge tailight, wrong way on the one way street, speeding, no proof of insurance, and tailgating...

seriously... they pulled us over for a BS reason, but they were very cool about it. CA plates and "dirt bikes" on the street piqued their interest, and they found a reason to check us out... dualsport profiling at it's best. I'm sure a LOT of people get pulled over for BS reasons, and end up having warrants, suspended licenses, etc. I have a pretty strong opinion about that, but will leave it at "they were pretty cool about it"

in fact... the guy says to us as we are leaving... "so you need to carry a DOT tire with you... swap them out when you get to the street, then swap them back when you get back on the dirt" with a little smirk.

Your photos are great !! Did anyone GPS Your routes ? I'd dig riding the knarly stuff and then going into town and baiting the cops. You guys rock.

Racer Bill,

See Pasta or Trophy. Your type of single track. Go eat it up.

The cops were very loose with us. Our bikes could have filled a whole ticket book. They never tested for all the things that did not function on the bikes. I was grateful they choose to leave us with just warnings. Thank you to them for that. The cops also put our split up group back together at the end. A motorcycle cop and a cop car pulled us over in two separate groups in different areas at the same time. We drew a lot of attention going down main street in tons of traffic. Beautiful town at high elevation.

Beezzz

BIKE PROBLEM ON THE WAY HOME FROM ARIZONA TRIP.

On the ride home from Trophy's in Rancho San Diego. I rode my bike to Jamul, drove up skyline truck trail (1/2 mile steep up hill) at 75 mph full throttle, at the top of the hill, BAM!, the engine bogged and stuck that way. I nursed it home 1 mile with a bogging engine wanting to die. Stuck on bog. Puddle of gas on floor under bike the next day.

Did I flood engine with a stuck choke, a stuck rev limiter , a stuck valve? I have never hit the rev limiter before. Does my '02 KTM 520 have one?

The puddle of gas was under my bike the day before also.

Engine ran the next day.

Fixed water pump seal that was leaking slowly, took off carb., carb. plate looks O.K. gas spray was weak. Nothing to fix.

Any ideas? What was stuck?

Similar thing happened to a buddy of mines 450. Took the big drain bolt off the bottom of the carb and the main jet was sitting in the bottom of the bowl. Just unthreaded itself.

It didnt leak gas though. It started, ran okay at idle but as soon as you hit the throttle it bogged hard.

The leaky gas thing sounds like a stuck float or a leaking needle valve. I am assuming if you shut the gas off it doesnt leak?

Your photos are great !! Did anyone GPS Your routes ? I'd dig riding the knarly stuff and then going into town and baiting the cops. You guys rock.

:good:

Thanks Bill.

We got the tracks from here;

http://www.coconinotrailriders.org/blog/flagstaff-loops/

If you ever wanna go and check them out, please call me. I'm so ready to go back for more.

Jon