Looking at that stuff makes me wish I could reach the ground better. Long legs will save you in the rocky stuff. Great pics.

Wow! Great trip guys! I'll start posting pics after:

Cleaning the pool

Doing gardening

Doing laundry

Going to two soccer games

Helping trophy with the hauler

Of course- the gnarlyness will not be evident in any of the photos...but all the trails had some challenging sections...

The BEST pics are in my memory: devils staircase...beezzz bouncing of rocks...trophy cartwheeling down a scree slope...

I really didn't see Jon until the last day...thanks for leading us on all those kick-ass trails!

And thanks to Trophy for the accommodations, and all the grub.

And the best thing: I spent 5 days with you guys and I don't hate any of you any more than I did before the trip!!

az2009035.jpg

beezzz on submarine rock in Sedona-

az2009041.jpg

beezzz sub-bike in Flagstaff thew next day... uh... need a little help?

az2009043.jpg

trophy gettin' down in Wing Mountain

az2009054.jpg

sometimes you laugh, so you don't cry

az2009055-1.jpg

I know this picture is terrible, and it fails to capture the essence of this difficult trail, but... I'm NOT a professional photographer!

Copyofaz2009058.jpg

air mail

Copyofaz2009022.jpg

gps...check...speedo/odometer...check...brain...HEY...who lost their brain?

most of my pics came out even worse than these...

flagstaffsfinest.jpg

an exchange from facebook

bikeslut- 5 miles to the dirt; damn

strega-story?

bikeslut-knobbies on the street

strega-I thought you got pulled over because of Jon's ugly pants

Jon's response- I hope his foot hurts

Typical hiking trail terrain- this is the flat section. Big, rocky rugged uphill just before this, and again just after. Mile after mile. Beautifully scenic, I stopped many times just to throw my body repeatedly to the ground with great force.

I was in such awe.

flagslut.jpg

Just cuz I asked Bob to hold me while I wimper does not mean I wanted to cry! :rolleyes:

Actually, the only thing keeping from crying was knowing Jon's hand was in more pain than my foot.

More pics later.

Beautifully scenic, I stopped many times just to throw my body repeatedly to the ground with great force.

I was in such awe.

Awwwwwww.... :rolleyes:

az2009055-1.jpg

I know this picture is terrible, and it fails to capture the essence of this difficult trail, but... I'm NOT a professional photographer!

Actually, I think this image is pretty good. Well composed, good point of view, excellent use of bike to demonstrate scale. Terrain is typical of the trail. Flora and fauna is well displayed to reflect the environment, and blue sky for a 3 dimensional effect.

Well done!

PS: Oh- and just out of the frame to the left is a blob of Billy Mays finest Miracle Putty, drying on a hot radiator, patching a holed radiator. Still holding- if the rad was not as twisted as it is, I'd just keep riding it. Probably the strongest part.

Enjoying the photos guys. Ken's dirt face grin is priceless!

Ken

I showed this photo to Tisha. She doesn't believe it is you. She is sure it is not the Ken she knows. :rolleyes:

Very nice photos guys.......looks like you had a great time!

I can't wait til the next one.....I don't want to get stuck out in Maine and Boston again (people there sure are ugly!....damn yankees!)

Thinking of a trip to Big Bear soon.........

Great pics guys! Keep'em comin'. I couldn't go but at least I can see what I missed. Gotta make the trip next time.

Day one. Load in and head East. Thru El Centro at 106 doing 70 with the A/C on high. It's a good way to get 9 MPG, but what the heck. 430 miles to Beaver Creek Campground. Got in and offloaded by 11:00 and hit the rack.

Tuesday morning brought bacon on the grill, scrambled eggs and coffee. A little map planning and off we went.

AZ007.jpg

AZ009.jpg

The lava rock hill that claimed Pasta's eyebrow.

AZ015.jpg

AZ013.jpg

Map stop.

AZ031.jpg

AZ032.jpg

We did a 100 mile loop finishing with Schnebly Hill Rd into Sedona.

AZ039.jpg

While Jon got stitched up, Beezzz and I found some local trail maps at an ATV rental shop. This was out back, fully functional.

AZ058.jpg

End of day 1.

AZ063.jpg

Day 2 started with a ride into Sedona for the Broken Arrow area. The pink Jeeps were around so we made nice and worked with them on the trails.

AZ066.jpg

AZ051.jpg

AZ073.jpg

Bikeslut taking it all in.

AZ086.jpg

Submarine Rock.

AZ084.jpg

AZ080.jpg

BS starting the first drop into the Devils Staircase.

AZ087.jpg

When we got back to camp for the load in and move to Flagstaff, Pasta found some ants making off with a small piece of the last nights dinner. This one's for you, Jon.

AZ092.jpg

We headed off to do the Wing Mountain Loop after making our way to a camp site.

AZ093.jpg

We saw a herd of about 30 Elk on the way back. I forgot how big they are. Males weigh in at about 750-800 lbs.

AZ099.jpg

End of day 2.

AZ100.jpg

Day 3 brought the arrival of Fakename & breakfast including banana pancakes. Our plan included the Peaks Loop around the San Francisco Mtns.

Safety gear would come in handy on this day. I crashed more in one day than I have in a year. Need a new handguard, my bash plate earned it's keep and all of my plastic (including my helmet) looks like I rode the bike off of a cliff. The metal toe guard on my left boot is smashed from squeezing (well, almost) thru rocks. I thought I broke all but my big toe but just have bruising. For those who don't wear elbow pads, I'd have had a trip to the hospital based on the damage to it if I didn't have it on.

Bob has a mental video of my "over the handlebars roll down the rocky hill" fall.

Fakey negotiating the endless supply of rocks.

AZ106.jpg

Beezzz rockin' it.

AZ107.jpg

AZ105.jpg

AZ104.jpg

AZ103.jpg

Lunch break. Don't know what Beezzz was thinking, but maybe he didn't like his sammich.

AZ111.jpg

We did the Airport Loop Friday morning, packed up and headed back West.

FN on the Friday AM ride.

AZ114.jpg

There were a few trail fixes, plenty 'o crashes, tons of good food (Thx again to Tommy for all of the fish) and great memories.

Thx to Bob for posting the ride and mapping us on the trail. Jon contributed all of the GPS tracks & Beezzz kept us on our toes. Big thx to Paul for making the trip over and providing a Cesar salad topped with shrimp for the appetizer. Followed by Scallops, sauteed vegetables & french bread. You know, camp food.

Everybody pitched in for supplies and gas & all cooked. I snored Bob outta the toybox so he got a room in Flagstaff. Ah well.

Great trip all the way around with a cleanup party on Saturday. Thx for all the help...made short work of the rig!

We did a 100 mile loop finishing with Schnebly Hill Rd into Sedona.

AZ039.jpg

Kathy and I may be heading over to Sedona in a few weeks to meet some friends on their way back from the Grand Canyon......they have dual sports and I'd take my EXC 520/CRF230F.........they're staying at a RV Park located close to the intersection of Schnebly Road & Hwy 179......posted over on ADV rider this morning and rec'd some good input for short/scenic/lollipop rides in the area...........put a draft/lollipop .gpx planning loop together from Schnebly to Mormon Lake and back.....about a ~60 mile loop.....should be perfect for Kathy on the CRF230F.......also created a route out of Jerome based on some input I rec'd......

ADVrider thread/.gpx file: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510338

Do you guys concur that Schnebly is easy terrain suitable for a newby rider?......Sounds like a pretty major dirt road.....which is perfect........

Do you guys concur that Schnebly is easy terrain suitable for a newby rider?......Sounds like a pretty major dirt road.....which is perfect........

It is a dirt road. Just be careful and look for oncoming traffic...mostly tour jeeps. I'd say friendly enough for new riders. If you're in the area, ya can't miss it. I'm glad Bob made it a must see on the trip cuz it was well worth it.

The other areas you mentioned are wide graded dirt roads, perfect for an easy ride & great views. (don't know about Jerome, but we went East enough to be 4 miles from Happy Jack)

Have a great ride!

It is a dirt road..........the other areas you mentioned are wide graded dirt roads, perfect for an easy ride & great views.......

Sounds perfect - thanks for the confirmation :lol::lol:

az2009026.jpg

Schnebly Hill Road is more or less like this the whole way...car traffic is your only real concern, and the scenery is more of a draw then the terrain

az2009021.jpg

sometimes, the scenery is obscured

az2009024.jpg

this may be a reprint...

"Do you guys concur that Schnebly is easy terrain suitable for a newby rider?......Sounds like a pretty major dirt road.....which is perfect........

It is a dirt road..........the other areas you mentioned are wide graded dirt roads, perfect for an easy ride & great views......."

Just watch your speed. I got going to fast down that hill once, starting sliding around a corner and stopped just inches from the ledge. Its a fairly wide road, but no fences and a long way down in places. Can't beat the view though.

Shnebly Hill Rd is an easy ride. In fact when we were riding down the hill, there was a newb couple on KLX250s riding up. There gear of choice? Doo rags, t-shirts, shorts and sneakers. Easy ride but I'd still go helmet, long sleaves and Jeans at a minimum.

Enjoy, lots of easy miles of lollypopping to be done. If you ride out of Sedona toward Mormon Lake be prepared for temps ranging from 90s to 60s. No joke, elevation rises quickly North of Sedona.