ShocknAwe

Rhino Rollovers

I am working on a Rhino rollover case. Anyone have any related articles or stories? The allegation is that adding a fabricated bench and two people to the cargo area changed the center of gravity and caused the Rhino to rollover. I'm not sure Rhinos are designed to drive up steep uphill climbs regardless. Thanks.

Yamaha is getting there ass sued off by ownersof the side by sides...

At the risk of hijack, yamaha is not to blame... You play in the dirt, you're gonna get hurt. A side by side is more dangerous than a dirt bike, but people are shocked the thing tipped over!!! Really?!?! I guess all the off road training they didn't do had something to do with it.. Or the fact that they can't judge trail conditions...

Back on topic; while struggling through devils hole, we were saying "we're crazy to spend money to do this to ourselves" would I even consider suing a bike manufacturer because they are unsafe??? No... Now if a bike blew up the first time I turned the key, I might consider litigation... But "it rolled over and my leg fell out and now its broken"... Welcome to the dirt; betcha don't ride that tough of a trail again

I sound callous, but I'm not... People need to evaluate their skill before trying anything adventurous, and adventure isn't safe...

ah... you edited your post before I responded... above was a quote after the pinnacles ride...

I didn't know you practiced THAT kind of law, but I stand by some of my original point... ANYTHING can roll over... If I read your edited post correctly, somebody is suing a manufacturer, and the manufacturer is claiming that the modifications by the owner contributed to the roll-over?

It would not bother me in the least to have side by sides litigate themselves out of existence, either way...

The Big Bear downhill runs are a thing of the past, due to a lawsuit... does anybody think that riding a bicycle at 50 mph on dirt could possibly be safe?

Does anybody think that a steel roll cage on a side by side is going to keep you safe?

now... I think sometimes a Health Care provider is the one doing the suing... or the family of the deceased.

Not sure what to say to that, but I know what MY family would say... Dad died doing what he loved... he SUCKED at it, but he loved it... Thanks for all the great memories Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki! I'd roll over in my GRAVE if they sued a manufacturer.

anyhow Paul... i'm sure you can't give details, and I am POSITIVE I didn't help you in any way

I am working on a Rhino rollover case. Anyone have any related articles or stories? The allegation is that adding a fabricated bench and two people to the cargo area changed the center of gravity and caused the Rhino to rollover. I'm not sure Rhinos are designed to drive up steep uphill climbs regardless. Thanks.

I saw that Yamaha has won the first of these cases. The Rhino rolled while going onto the street and they were going too fast. The legislation was the Rhino is an OFF ROAD ONLY vehicle.

I am not sure that anything added by the user will fly. Car manufacturers are not at fault for example if someone cuts the roof off their car and dies in a roll over.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/08/...t-in-first.html

Better luck would be sueing the company who sold them the mods or made the mods

And I don't think you can sue the car company if you bolt some seats into the bed of your truck and then someone dies in an accident because that is not a seating area as per the vehicle design

Well you can sue but don't expect to win.

There has been a "do not sell" issued on the Yamaha Rhino's by the consumer safety board until they have been outfitted with wheel spacers and doors>

Lots of injuries on these things for you lawyers to make money on because people are "sometimes" incapable of operating a vehicle, thus they blame the manufacture. Since Yamaha is the one with the biggest pockets-they have been hit first.

I was told by a yamaha rep a long time ago that they were designed to fit in the back of a pickup. This was for ease of transportation but they were tippy. Then the after market onslaught hit. I have goofy friends with too much money that have over $35.000 in theirs, yes I said THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND. I think they are still a POS and in the way in the DUNES. If I spend that kind of money it better make it up China Wall.

Lots of injuries on these things for you lawyers to make money on because people are "sometimes" incapable of operating a vehicle, thus they blame the manufacture.

Them and quads. :) That's the nice thing about motorcycles. They are just intimidating enough to keep a lot of those "iffy" vehicle operators from trying to ride them.

. If I spend that kind of money it better make it up China Wall.

Schwinn-have you been to Glamis lately as I thought that China Wall(Hill #6) is off limits due to the endagered weed?

If they modified the vehicle like you say then the CG is obviously been changed (raised) and would definitely make it more unstable. Don't see where they would have a case in blaming the manufacturer of the vehicle. By saying roll over I assume you mean it was a side roll over and not a flip over backwards. Either case could easily happen with a raised CG in the cargo area. I'm sure there is probably a cargo carrying limit that these vehicles have in their literature or even on a lable in the vehicle but I'm not familiar with it. With the modifications like you say then the suspension should have been stiffened to compensate for the additional weight which might have helped with a side roll over.

I work for iShock and we make +3.5 and +6 inch longer a-arm long travel upgrade kits for the Rhino. That is +7 and +12 inch overall track width increase. These kinds of kits are the best way to make the UTVs more stable side-to-side in addition to providing a better ride via longer travel suspension and upgraded shocks. They don't do anything for front or back flip stability however. Wheel spacers are another way to increase the width but tend to screw up the steering geometery as well as put a lot more stress on the wheel hubs.

I think they were recalled a while back to add doors because when they did roll over peoples legs and feet were falling out and getting smashed/broken/etc. even when wearing set belts.

And like others are saying, its a risk you take when you decide to operate one of these vehicles. They aren't idiot proof by any means or stretch of the imagination.

That's my 2 cents worth. Probably doesn't help your case though...

I'm assuming you're working for the operator of the Rhino and defending their right to modify a vehicle not originally designed for extra pounds up high in the mini truck bed.

If this is true, for all of the reasons mentioned here, your clients are idiots.

These types of lawsuits are the reason there's a sticker by the generator compartment on my toybox "Don't sleep in here. Gas fumes are dangerous and may cause injury or death" First, I'd hafta weigh 12 pounds to fit in the compartment.....

Oh, and I still have your ramp in my garage. Plz arange for pick-up or I'll start charging you rent.....so I can save for a Rhino :)

Guy at work lost his 15 yr old niece to a rhino rollover at superstition - seat belts not installed properly? Thought they were a total POS till I saw one climb a hill at devils slide that befunkeled two attempts from my hill climb buddys 525 and one attempt from my Raptor 660.

I'm assuming you're working for the operator of the Rhino and defending their right to modify a vehicle not originally designed for extra pounds up high in the mini truck bed.

If this is true, for all of the reasons mentioned here, your clients are idiots.

These types of lawsuits are the reason there's a sticker by the generator compartment on my toybox "Don't sleep in here. Gas fumes are dangerous and may cause injury or death" First, I'd hafta weigh 12 pounds to fit in the compartment.....

+1 on TH's post

Its not the Rhino that isn't safe, its the driver/operator

Its like saying guns kill people...NO...people kill people

Use the product as designed PERIOD

PS I sure hope all this lawsuit crap doesnt put an end to the Rhinos and other UTV's like they did to the three wheeler

. If I spend that kind of money it better make it up China Wall.

Schwinn-have you been to Glamis lately as I thought that China Wall(Hill #6) is off limits due to the endagered weed?

It was still open as of our last trip this year. It is closed just to the south of there. we always go to china, Lizard, a couple other walls and then to olds, China is always our 1st destination then head in a NW Direction.

I think Clint Eastwood said it best "A man has got to know his limitations", good words to live by. It's a Darwin thing, the intelligent, strong are supposed to thrive and pass along the genes to the next generation. But NOOOOO, in our society we reward the weak-minded by awarding them gobs of money while the cost of good and services skyrocket to pay for the poor choices they make.

There are few accidents that cannot be prevented with a combination of common sense and intelligence. I am tired of paying for other peoples stupidity.

Shock, I probably am not very helpful with this reply, certain things get under my skin and I have a hard time letting them go. I am just weird like that, I think it is because I miss my lawn darts........

Well I can think of a few people that won't be on the jury...

I expect shock was looking for case law, and not a bunch of opinions from dirtbikers...silly shock

The way I read it...they added a seat and some passengers to the back of this thing, went up a steep hill (china wall would be WAY too much of a coincidence) and flipped the thing backwards.

The plaintiff is trying to say that nothing in the literature indicated that a steep hill, on a short wheelbase vehicle, with 400 extra pounds behind and above the CG would cause a crash.

I wish Yamaha luck, without any animosity towards shock or his profession

I still like you Shock.... even if you are currently engaged in the manipulation of law and justice for your own financial gain.

Be sure and follow rule #1... CASH up front!

I'm looking forward to the temps dropping and getting out on the trails. I'm planning on the Desert Dash at a minimum.

Well the Rhino's give an even greater false sense of security for parents apparently. I've seen loads of 6-8yr old kids driving around the other kids most of the time not wearing helmets in camp because it has a rollbar and therefore must be safe to just let them drive.

The biggest factor is quite simply if the user modified the vehicle and that caused the failure who's fault is it?

Well the Rhino's give an even greater false sense of security for parents apparently. I've seen loads of 6-8yr old kids driving around the other kids most of the time not wearing helmets in camp because it has a rollbar and therefore must be safe to just let them drive.

The biggest factor is quiet simply if the user modified the vehicle and that caused the failure who's fault is it?

it is NEVER that simple...

Did it contribute? Maybe... Would it have happened even without the modifications? Plaintiff will say "yes", and Yamaha will say "no"... and 12 people, a jury of your peers, will decide who is right... I'm kind of curious if the people inside the roll cage were injured. Not that it is much of a factor, as the Rhino might've stayed upright, if not for the load in the bed...

Since Yamaha has millions of dollars, and Joe Plaintiff does not have medical insurance, and his family was critically injured, and people feel sorry for the little guy... He will get something. he may settle for medical expenses, and some pain and suffering.

How does Joe Plaintiff who can't afford health insurance afford a Rhino and a trailer and a tow rig? And the money to mod the Rhino?

How does Joe Plaintiff who can't afford health insurance afford a Rhino and a trailer and a tow rig? And the money to mod the Rhino?

because he has PRIORITIES... he works TOO HARD NOT TO HAVE SOME FUN... he doesn't need health insurance... he's as healthy as a horse

he mods the Rhino himself, because he a real man, and real men use tools and make stupid mods, then post about it on the internet

Hey... where did Shock go? :unsure: