KTMrad

Colorado Rider Wins FIM Junior 125cc World Championship

Aug. 25, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: (614) 856-1900, ext. 1258

E-mail: cfleming@ama-cycle.org

Photo available on request.

Eli Tomac wins 125cc FIM Junior Motocross World Championship

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) is proud to report that Eli Tomac, fresh off a stellar performance at the 2009 AMA Air Nautiques Amateur Motocross Championships presented by Amsoil, was victorious over top junior motocross riders from around the world in the 125cc FIM Junior Motocross World Championship in Taupo, New Zealand, on Aug. 15-16, 2009.

"I think I haven't realized yet that I became a World Champion," Tomac said. "Thanks also to my sponsors, my family, the Townley family, Honda New Zealand, my mechanic and everybody who helped me to get this result. And also especially the AMA and Factory Connection Honda for helping me come here to this race with the added costs of international travel."

Tomac faced competition from all over the world, including riders from New Zealand, Australia, Italy, the Netherlands and more.

AMA Director of Racing Joe Bromley said that Tomac's triumph demonstrates that the young rider has proven to be a force to reckon with on any motocross track in the world.

"It's a great honor to have Eli Tomac competing and winning the Junior Motocross World Championship," Bromley said. "We at the AMA are proud of his accomplishment representing the United States and commend him on his great success."

Eli's father, John Tomac, was also proud of his son's accomplishment.

"Wow, what an impressive event that the Taupo track and New Zealand MX put on for this FIM Junior World Championship," Tomac said. "It was great for Eli to represent the United States and bring home the title for American motocross. It was a true test, with tough conditions with rain all week long and some great competition from the Europeans, Australians, New Zealanders and other international riders."

Tomac faced extreme weather conditions all weekend, including excessive cold and rain. Nevertheless, the Cortez, Colo., rider thanked the track promoter for providing a quality course.

"It was nice to compete in New Zealand. Thanks to the organizer for preparing this wonderful track," Tomac said.

About the American Motorcyclist Association

Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations.