mctrails

Night ride Corral this weekend 7-18-09

Any interest in a night ride at Corral this weekend? I'm thinking late evening for a ride before dark and then some in the dark. ;) Maybe spend the night and one ride early in the morning Sunday before it gets too hot. Meet at Bobcat Meadows campground. I would like to ride the trails at Corral but am open to meeting at Pine Valley if that is more popular. Let me know if you're interested and what your preferences are and hopefully we can put something together.

Any interest in a night ride at Corral this weekend? I'm thinking late evening for a ride before dark and then some in the dark. :ph34r: Maybe spend the night and one ride early in the morning before it gets too hot. Meet at Bobcat Meadows campground. I would like to ride the trails at Corral but am open to meeting at Pine Valley if that is more popular. Let me know if you're interested and what your preferences are and hopefully we can put something together.

Alan, sent you a PM.

I'm interested, saturday is better, I got to work late mon-fri. Still working right now unfortunately. Saturday night I'll definitely go...

It's going to be Saturday evening for me. My dad is visiting from CO and will be heading out on Saturday morning so I can't do Friday night. I will plan to be at Bobcat campground Saturday sometime around 5pm +/- 1hour. I have a white F350 crew cab and will have my 300 and GasGas with me.

Any interest in a night ride at Corral this weekend? I'm thinking late evening for a ride before dark and then some in the dark. :lol: Maybe spend the night and one ride early in the morning Sunday before it gets too hot. Meet at Bobcat Meadows campground. I would like to ride the trails at Corral but am open to meeting at Pine Valley if that is more popular. Let me know if you're interested and what your preferences are and hopefully we can put something together.

What kind of trails are you guys gonna go for? Easy, intermediate, difficult? I'm very new to dirt riding so want to make sure I don't slow you guys down too much - :)

What kind of trails are you guys gonna go for? Easy, intermediate, difficult? I'm very new to dirt riding so want to make sure I don't slow you guys down too much - :)

No worries, we ride at the appropriate pace and take the appropriate trails for everybody in the group. We will start with the easy stuff and work our way into whatever the group feels comfortable with.

What kind of trails are you guys gonna go for? Easy, intermediate, difficult? I'm very new to dirt riding so want to make sure I don't slow you guys down too much - :unsure:

No worries, we ride at the appropriate pace and take the appropriate trails for everybody in the group. We will start with the easy stuff and work our way into whatever the group feels comfortable with.

Count me in then- I'm going to be on a yellow DRZ.

My camp will look something like this:

post-4114-1247797674_thumb.jpg

Although probably not at this spot. I will try to get a spot further back in the campground. This is at the entrance to Bobcat campground looking out toward the main road with the Los Pinos Fire Lookout tower in the background.

are you camping?

it seems like last year there were over 10 maybe even 15 people that showed up for the night rides, whats going on this year?

My 525 stayed in Utah last trip so I don't have the proper tool. Sounds like fun though. I'm doing a rain dance for you.

are you camping?

it seems like last year there were over 10 maybe even 15 people that showed up for the night rides, whats going on this year?

I would like to join in, but I have a gig... my last night dirt ride was the infamous Walker1 ride.

George; don't feel like you have to ride the pace of any group. You ride YOUR pace, and let the ride leader know how you are doing.

are you camping?

Yeah, I will probably bring a sleeping bag and pad and spend the night in the bed of my truck starring at the stars unless Racer Bill's rain dance is successful then who knows? Bill, doesn't your 250 have a headlight? Bring it. I'm just putting my stock 525 light on my 300 and using my NiteRider helmate light. The stock light is not that bright but it don't matter. Night riding at Corral is usually a slow paced tunnel visioned kind of ride. You know, just for the fun of it.

I think the low attendance is due to the last minute timing of the post. Only a few days notice is probably not enough for most folks. We'll see who shows up.

Hope you all have a great time... my steed is in full moto form right now and I will not be able to get ur set up by satuday night. I may drive up in the jeep and say hi though..... Ride safe, we need all of you to fight those democrats! :unsure:

BC

JeepLakeMorena07-07036.jpg

count another newb in as well, assuming my bike is not still leaking coolant(just finished working on it tonight). I have a silver honda accord small red trailer and Yellow DRZ. Anybody have coordinates to the meeting site? I will try to get my extra LED light system hooked up by tomorrow, I am interested to see how it works for the dirt bike.

The best I can tell by looking at MapSource the coordinates are N 32.71230 W 116.55699. Take 8 East exit at Buckman Springs Road, go right about 5 miles and look for sign on right to Corral Canyon OHV Area and take the right turn. That will be Corral Canyon Road. Its dirt for a couple of miles and then is paved the rest of the way. Follow it about 6 miles to the top of the hill which is the Four Corners Trailhead. Go left there about a mile to the Bobcat Meadows campground. Sometimes they have maps at the Four Corners Trailhead map board. Grab one on the way in if you want one.

went out for a ride and it looks like the leak is fixed, maybe a little tiny leak still or very possible just a little left over coolant in the weep hole passageway, only some more riding will tell. So barring any unforseen issues I am in :clapping:

went out for a ride and it looks like the leak is fixed, maybe a little tiny leak still or very possible just a little left over coolant in the weep hole passageway, only some more riding will tell. So barring any unforseen issues I am in :clapping:

briana and I will be out there about 5:15 - 5:30 at the bobcat camp.

A few of us will be out there as well and may run into you (not literally of course!.........it's much safer at night). Probably stage at the bottom of the hill to ride both areas.

do we need parking passes of any kind?

My trailer sucks on Buckman Springs Road, so unless there is a place for me to park nearby (fire station?), I would need a ride out there. I have a parking pass and I think you are supposed to have it for these campgrounds. I already drove from Riverside to San Diego today so I'm probably out, but this sounds like fun.

just to follow up my question, Yes an adventure pass is required. The road seemed to be in good condition and my harbor freight trailer made it no problem.

Bought my Adventure Pass (es) at the Pine Valley store. Need new ones...make sure you get the additional pass for an extra $5....can't beat it.

We had a great time at Corral last night. Thanks to Spaugh, Brianna, pappaalex, jbw and karlaeda for coming out and joining in on the fun. Everyone was there at the group camp spot at Bobcat campground by 6pm and we did a warmup ride (while it was still quite hot actually) before dark. Down trail 6 to Corral CG and then up Spur Meadow to Los Pinos Road. From there karlaeda and I rode up to the lookout tower and then back to the campground. The rest of the group took the Espinosa Loop back.

Spaugh, pappaalex and karlaeda preping for the ride.

post-4114-1248051861_thumb.jpg

Pappaalex, Brianna, karlaeda, spaugh and jbw taking a break at the top of Spur Meadow.

post-4114-1248051894_thumb.jpg

As darkness set in karlaeda decided he didn't want to push his luck on the technical trails in the dark and loaded up and headed for home. The rest of us got our lights all tuned up and set to go. We spent some time looking at jbw's cool little LED light that he designed and built and mounted to his helmate. He is an electrical engineer and has a great product that we all were trying to convince him to market. It uses two LEDs and was brighter than our NightRider lights. Outerlimits and a few friends rode into camp and we talked with them for a few minutes before they left on their own ride. Due the the extreme dusty conditions they wanted to ride separate from us. Probably a good call.

Once we got is all together we headed out and took trail 6 down to Corral CG again (a whole different experience in the dark.) From there it was the dirt road west to trail 11 to trail 5 and south to Skye Valley Road and east to trail 1. Trail 1 north to trail 3 and east down to the dirt road and south to trial 4 which we took from the north end to the south. Somewhere along trail 4 Alex said he saw a mountain lion and her young kitten.

At that point we were tired, thursty and dirty so we headed back to the campground for some refreshments and benchracing.

Brianna exiting trail 4 with jbw following. Sorry about the quality of the pic. I think the dust was being reflected in the lights making all the bubbles unless somebody has a better explanation.

post-4114-1248051916_thumb.jpg

After everyone left I sacked out in the back of my truck and starred at the night sky until I fell a sleep. In the morning I took a quick loop of trail 8 on my GasGas. After a brief rest I took the 300 out and did the single track to Four Corners and then trail 1 and 2 down to Corral CG and then up Spur Meadow and the Espinosa Loop, Skye Valley Road, trail 4 south to north to the road and trails 3 and 1 back to camp. By then it was getting hot so I loaded up and headed home.

The night riding at Corral is really fun. Lots of wildlife out on the trails at night. We saw tarantulas, snakes, kangaroo rats, weird looking giant bugs ??? (we decided they were flying cockroaches) and a cougar. I'm looking forward to doing it again in a few weeks. Stay tuned for details...

Sounds like a good ride. Thought about trying to make it, but had evening chores to do. Glad all had a fun, safe time.

And yeah, that one shot after dark looks funny because the dust gets illuminated by the flash. :lol:

hey mctrails, thanks for inviting us, briana and I both had a great time, it was one of the funner rides we've done lately. We're looking forward to another night ride!

:lol: