Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Phill

Daughter broke both wrists today

After surviving a day at the track in Perris my daughter broke both wrists today riding with her friends in Fallbrook. I got a call from Palomar ER late this afternoon. She's on her way down to Kaiser /Zion now. Left wrist is damaged the most and may need surgery.

I am told that she overshot the landing on a jump. Took full force on her arms. She was fully geared up so back/brain/guts are OK.

I think the full impact(!) of what happened hit her when she needed to got to the bathroom and needed help!

She's young and I hope heals fast. This is not what I need right now.

I also had to patch up some road rash on a cruiser ride today when one of our guys went down. Our man was following too close when an old lady slammed on her brakes.

The big question is do I ride the bike down to visit her?

Phill

very sorry to hear that phil...let us know how it all turns out...will keep her in my thoughts and prayers...

The big question is do I ride the bike down to visit her?

Phill

If that's how you usually travel, I don't see why it would be a problem.

I hope she makes a quick and complete recovery. I broke my hip in three places and snapped my right femur in a crash when I was 19. It wasn't exactly a quick heal, but it sure didn't keep me from riding dirt and street bikes.

bummer, Phill! :lol:

Let us know if you need anything! I know how boring it can be, nursing injuries. You guys let me know if you want to go to sea world after her surgery

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully she will make a full recovery quickly. Our thoughts and prayers will be with her also.

Phill,

Best of luck with everything. Tough day. Post or PM if any help is needed at all.

Good thoughts, well wishes & prayers...

OUCH......As other's have said, don't hesitate to shout out to this crew if you need anything......positive thoughts sent your (her!) way.....

She's on her way to surgery...both wrists. She's at Kaiser Zion so I'm on my way down. Her voice was very weak/miserable when I talked to her this morning. Recovery from this might be interesting.

Phill

been there :lol:

Make SURE you get physical therapy afterwards, and have her take it easy (follow Drs orders)

I know one guy that did neither, and has wrist pain ALL the time... He's stupid... His name rhymes with likesrut

DITTO that on the physical therepy and doctors orders thing.

.....I had a class 2 AC separation on my shoulder a few years ago.....did the full weekly physical therapy thing....and it doesn't bother me at all...

This is certainly different, but she is young and should recover quickly and hopefully thoroughly....hang in there....should get better each day from here on out...

Sorry to hear about your girl.

My wife and I are struggling with the notion of our two girls getting their first little bike and knowing that something like this could happen. Wouldn't make it any easier though if they were boys. Been banged up a few times myself and wouldn't trade all that for never having had the opportunity to ride bikes.

Had a bad wrist break back in 1976 when I was 17 due to an attempt by a pickup truck to occupy the same space at the same time as my motorcycle.

It broke both bones and was just shy of a compound fracture. Had pins put in my hand and elbow to set the wrist bones in traction - today I'm sure they would have used screws and plates on the broken bones themselves.

Anyway, back then they didn't do much in the way of physical therapy other than to give me a squeeze ball and say play with that for a while and it'll loosen everything back up. Didn't work all that well and I ended up with only about 70% of the range of motion - which makes it rather hard to whack a throttle all the way open except on quick turn throttles :-(

After having experienced a few other bumps and breaks which I won't catalog here, I became a firm believer in physical therapy and the no pain, no gain mantra.

Therapy doesn't have to hurt all the time, but inevitably there will be a phase of it that does and you've got to just grit your teeth and keep on working it.

I'll also pass along that when recovering from my worst accident, it was a 15 year old girl in the therapy center that was my inspiration. She'd blown out a knee due to a botched catch while cheer leading. Never seen anyone work so hard through all the tears and yet still keep such a wonderful disposition.

Best wishes to you and her for successful surgeries and a speedy recovery.

Phill, sorry to hear about you're daughter :(

I agree 100% with making sure to get into PT and just take one thing at a time. I hope everything went well with the surgeries and that she has a speedy recovery.

She's done with surgery. Both radii(each radius?)(gotta love Latin plurals) was broken distally. She now will be setting off alarms in airports for the rest of her life. Now for the long road to recovery. Her riding friends were there tonight when she got out of surgery. They brought her a Yamaha teddy bear to keep her company in the hospital. I got there at 2PM and she wasn't out till around 8:30...that waiting and not knowing is hard on an old dad. Her left fingers look like bratwurst, right side is not as bad. Thankfully she's right handed.

She's hurting, but also smiling.

Phill

Glad to hear she made it through. If there's anything you or the family need no matter how small it may be, let us know, I'm sure one of us can help out.

She busts out of the hospital tomorrow. Then the fun begins. We're trying/hoping she has enough friends to help her through the first week when she needs to lay flat with hands elevated.

Her surgeon looked very competent. He's done a lot of cycle rider repairs She had three hours of actual surgery, most on her left wrist where there was tendon/ligament damage as well as broken radius.

Phill

6 weeks out and she finds out the left is not healing right. Possibly more surgery next week. She has serious cabin fever. Classes started and she still can't drive. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Phill

Sorry to hear that Phil....hang in there....Good thoughts and prayers going out for your family....deb

Uncle Phil,

Consider private physical therapy.

It is 1 hour of time spent with the patient vs. 15-20 minutes with the Kaiser program. I when though Kaiser therapy first and only gained improvement with the private therapy.

Beezzz