Sign in to follow this  
DrzDasher

Watch out at McCains

I was out a carrizo overlook area earlier in the week hunting some coyotes and bunnies. Well after twenty minutes of calling

and after a deer came in I decided to move spots. Well I was creeping along and about twenty to thirty feet away a nice size kitty decided he wanted to see what I was all about. So if you are hiking or just taking a break be careful. I really don't think the noise of a bike will scare them seeing as Ihad just shot a bunnie and my 223 is pretty loud. Be careful. Anyone wants to go for varmits or cotton tails in the valley let me know, bunnies are yummy.

I used to do a bit of exploring on foot out in McCain Valley and I was always a bit uneasy about becoming a free meal for a mountain lion. I never saw one out there, but I have seen the tracks. I have also seen the tracks at Corral Canyon.

About 7 or 8 years ago I rode up the front side of Bronco Peak (Trail 3) at Corral. Just as I cleared the front face and came up to the top I came face to face with a large mountain lion about 20 feet from me. We both froze for a second that seemed like an hour and then she turned and ran away. Man, talk about getting your heart rate up in a hurry. I think I was shaking in my boots for 5 minutes after that.

So, yeah, there at Corral too. Or at least they used to be. With the fire that went through there a couple of years ago I don't know about now.

That is cool. It is amazing that he wouldn't be scared off by the gun though!....suprising....and kind of scary..thanks for the warning..

I saw a very big one on the Corral perimeter road about 2 years ago...so; yeah, they're out there

Saw one pretty close to Cuyamaca camp while mountain biking....

Although I respect the animal, I don't really fear them (on a motorcycle) I used to have a set of eyes on the back of my bike helmet...just another small thing to improve my chances.

I used to have a set of eyes on the back of my bike helmet...just another small thing to improve my chances.

Those glarey ones?

images.jpg

Proper "big kitty" courtesy would dictate you should have shared a bunny with your new found friend. That's OK as long as you give him/her two bunnies next time.

I used to have a set of eyes on the back of my bike helmet...just another small thing to improve my chances.

Those glarey ones?

images.jpg

no fair making up a word, and deleting a pic before I get to see it B)

they were just... eyes... I heard they do it in India for tigers, and Africa for lions, and in Australia for... do they have any big predators in Australia??? Dingos? I know they have tons of stuff that will bite you, between snakes, spiders, wombats, tasmanian devils and what not... what were we talking about?

Oh yeah... eyes... I know mountain lions like to pounce you from behind, so I tried to make them think they weren't behind me... but I also know that they have an "attack that moving thing" instinct, and I didn't slow down any... Dan; as far as I am concerned, my bunny is their bunny... and so is my sub sandwich...and anything else they want, as long as it doesn;t have the same last name as I do...

Those glarey ones?

no fair making up a word, and deleting a pic before I get to see it ;)

Cheeze whiz, you had enough time to see the eyes image before they were gone. They were just the No Fear eyes. I had to delete them. They made me all uncomfortable every time I went into my photobucket account and saw them glaring at me. B)

Ok, since the cat eyes photo was removed I'll place this one to try to make up for it :)

bee-cat.jpg

Ok, since the cat eyes photo was removed I'll place this one to try to make up for it :)

....last seen in the Bass Lake area, snickering from a tree after taking a Desert Gestapo member off his mount....