TrophyHunter

"north county ride" or whatever........

Can we get a pm with where Don's house is <_< if he doesnt want to post it out there

I've always found all paths from the south side of Palomar to the north side are gated. Also WARNING the late June grasshopper infestation was going on in Warner Springs, last I heard. I don't know if it has subsided yet. Not fun to drive through; at least be prepared to clean off your goggles.

Steve

Can anyone answer the question about Canfield Rd being a good connector to Palomar Divide?

To the best of my knowledge, you can no longer gain access to High Point TT/Oak Grove TT/Palomar Divide TT other than off Hwy 79 on either end.......other options that may have been available at one time are now fenced off and/or gated off.... <_< Even if you did somehow manage to reach Palomar Divide TT from Canfield you'd run into the gate just a short ways up from where Palomar Divide TT and Oak Grove TT intersect (seamlessly)....

Can we get a pm with where Don's house is :tease: if he doesnt want to post it out there

I'm sure all interested riders will be PM'd or notified in some way. I'm in contact with Don via PM for coordination on this ride...especially since he's been gracious enough to provide a staging area.

I don't know how we'll handle lurkers but maybe a meet at the gas station right off of 15 about 8:20 for the short ride to Don's.

It'll be taken care of.... <_<

I've always found all paths from the south side of Palomar to the north side are gated. Also WARNING the late June grasshopper infestation was going on in Warner Springs, last I heard. I don't know if it has subsided yet. Not fun to drive through; at least be prepared to clean off your goggles.

Steve

Steve is right about the grasshoppers. Saw an article on them in the paper a few weeks ago. They may have moved on but we may be forced to take an evasive action route.

There is a ton of parking behind the gas station that is public. Its the start of the trail head for mtn bikers to ride around lake hodges.

Speaking of mtn bikers, Nate Harrison Grade seems to be very popular on MTB sites, especially as a training hill. Let's keep this in mind for safety reasons and keep it quiet and slow while passing.

Nobody has called back for gate opening. I say we ride up to the Fire Dept to say Hi and see about the gate.

Nobody has called back for gate opening. I say we ride up to the Fire Dept to say Hi and see about the gate.

We can always ask. Thx Steve!

Which Fire Dept Steve?

Hey T H, there is a short stretch of dirt road on Doane Valley road that is private property with locked gates at each end (one gate is right on the State Park boundry line, the other aprox 1/4 mile west of the Forest/ fire look out tower) . The forest service keeps them locked, for fire access only. So you cannot connect Nate Harrison with Palomar Divide. I suggest you do a loop from Rancho California R V resort and 79 (east of Temecula on 79) going up Palomar then loop around down to 79, head east to Warner Springs glider port then turn Left on Lost Valley Road and go all the way to Anza. Then.... more chooses.All big bike friendly and small bike fun too.

Hi Greig

You wouldn't be the same Kiwi I went on a ride with a few months back riding a British Enfield would ya?

Don

Hey T H, there is a short stretch of dirt road on Doane Valley road that is private property with locked gates at each end (one gate is right on the State Park boundry line, the other aprox 1/4 mile west of the Forest/ fire look out tower) . The forest service keeps them locked, for fire access only. So you cannot connect Nate Harrison with Palomar Divide. I suggest you do a loop from Rancho California R V resort and 79 (east of Temecula on 79) going up Palomar then loop around down to 79, head east to Warner Springs glider port then turn Left on Lost Valley Road and go all the way to Anza. Then.... more chooses.All big bike friendly and small bike fun too.

Hi Greig

You wouldn't be the same Kiwi I went on a ride with a few months back riding a British Enfield would ya?

Don

Ah no, sorry. I wish I had an Enfield like that though. I live in Temecula and have been lurking on the site for a while and decided to step up and join a ride. Hopefully I can lure the ride up this way. There are a few fun places to enjoy up here.

Which Fire Dept Steve?

Its a all Volunteer dept about a Qtr mile from Mothers Kichen on the way down back grade. Cross street is Crest. Gotta see Chief Lucia.

Hi Greig

Don

Ah no, sorry. I wish I had an Enfield like that though. I live in Temecula and have been lurking on the site for a while and decided to step up and join a ride. Hopefully I can lure the ride up this way. There are a few fun places to enjoy up here.

Looks like the group is comming from a wide area with Escondido in the center. We would be glad to have you come along even without an Enfield.

Throwin' my hat in the "interested" ring. Maybe with a buddy and his f650gs.

Will be coming from the north (murrieta), so probably not the whole ride.

Kiwi - you still thinkin bout pala gas station?

Which Fire Dept Steve?

Its a all Volunteer dept about a Qtr mile from Mothers Kichen on the way down back grade. Cross street is Crest. Gotta see Chief Lucia.

OK. We will follow your lead Steve and see what you get us into. :)

Well Ken-so far it looks like we may have locked gates and locusts. Should be an interesting day. At least I know my way back home. Stick with me and I will get you back to your truck. B)

Steve is a nearby neighbor of mine he can't get us too far off course.

Which Fire Dept Steve?

OK. We will follow your lead Steve and see what you get us into. B)

Well Ken-so far it looks like we may have locked gates and locusts. Should be an interesting day. At least I know my way back home. Stick with me and I will get you back to your truck. B)

Steve is a nearby neighbor of mine he can't get us too far off course.

Locusts in the face at high speed is called 'getting up close with nature'! Besides, I get scared when I see big rocks and holes in my direct path so the 'cover' is more calming. :lol: I'm totally flexable with meeting others in route to a meet up point Pala gas staion sounds good. Just waiting for direction from the 'EXPEDITION DIRECTOR'. :)

I don't know what Don has in store for a route but I can see a meet/pickup at Pala Gas (corner of Cole Grade & VC Road?)

It might be a good place for topping the tank off and make it more convenient for the "Way North" folks. If kiwi, 02rdking & plus 1 make that their place, we'll stop & getcha.

Still meeting at the Shell ? Across the street from North County Fair mall?

I don't know what Don has in store for a route but I can see a meet/pickup at Pala Gas (corner of Cole Grade & VC Road?)

It might be a good place for topping the tank off and make it more convenient for the "Way North" folks. If kiwi, 02rdking & plus 1 make that their place, we'll stop & getcha.

We could do the Lake Wolford route first to meet the group in VC at Pala for NH. When we get to Mother's we can let Steve work his charming ways with the Fire Dept. He knows the roads on Palomar better than I do. His success or failure would determine whether we can go the back route or continue down the front to Santa Ysabel (Apple Pie Stop) and Mesa Grande and the Cleveland National Forrest roads..

Sounds like a interesting ride. Is this going to be mostly dirt or is there a lot of pavement included? I'm on a DRZ 400 with a stock tank so about 80 miles I need to start thinking about a gas station. If it is all big bikes I dont want to be the only one with range restrictions and hold anyone up.

Still meeting at the Shell ? Across the street from North County Fair mall?

That's the group meet spot. Ready to ride at 8:30 like the first post says...... Whatever happens prior to that (Don's house, Starbucks, Denny's) is your choice.

Should be a great ride with a lot of new (to me) folks. Lookin' forward to it! :rolleyes:

Don's doing the route 'til we get to the fire station. Primarily pavement to NH Grade I think. Gas up at Shell, then Pala VISTA Gas for a top off. I think we'll be close enough to gas most of the ride & as Jaynen said, he's carrrying the strap on supertanker & I'll have fuel bottles just in case.

My son and I are interested in the ride, but I afraid that with all the back and forth I've lost track of the start and stop points. Could you do a summary of the ride where it stands now? and maybe the interest list?

Thanks

My son and I are interested in the ride, but I afraid that with all the back and forth I've lost track of the start and stop points. Could you do a summary of the ride where it stands now? and maybe the interest list?

Thanks

Please see the 1st post. The main meet up is at the Shell station listed. Some folks are trucking to Don's (with his permission)

The Temecula folks are probably meeting at Pala VISTA Gas at the corner of Cole Grade and Valley Center Rd. We'll pick them up on the way thru & stop for a top off there. Up Nate Harrison Grade & see how far across Palomar we can get with all the gates, etc. Discuss a supplemental route if we hit a dead end (or gate) & go from there.

It'd be great to have you along!

Edit: Don't know where we'll stop but bail outs at your leisure....

Edit: Edit: For clarification, we will pick up the WAY NORTH group at Pala Vista Gas Station‎

29200 Valley Center Rd, Valley Center, CA‎ - Thx to Schwinn for pointing out the difference....whew...