roostingu

Govenment Jobs

Well I was working for a local company for a couple months at a low rate of pay, but is was a job. I was then informed by the pension company I paid into for 32years that I could not work in the same industry in which I was employed while paying into the pension. Trucking (freight) teamsters and central states pension fund, so I had to quit and must find work and I am limited to certain industries. I cannot work Trucking and Freight in any capacity Car Haul ,Tank Haul,Warehouse,Food Processing or Distribution, Grocery, Dairy, Bakery,Brewery,and soft drink, Buliding material or constructiion. I was told I can work in any capacity for government, or as sales person at Home Depot or Lowes or something of that sort, but I know it was mentioned before in this forum or government jobs which I think would include civilian military? I thought of ,what KL Roger did for a living but don't know if I would be qualified. I have California class A CDL with Hazmat and all the endorsements doubles, triples, air brakes, tanker I didn't pick up the passenger endorsement but I think I could go back and get that without to much trouble. I know this whole thing with the pension really stinks but it has been challenged in court several times before, so I am not going that route. Any help or referrals would be greatly appreciated. Oh I guess I can be employed as an instructor (CDL) If I could find a job in my original capacity I could put my pension on hold but there are no jobs like that available that I know of. The job I gave up paid about half as much as it should have and I was getting shorted every pay in some way or another, and my pension alone is not sufficent to live on, thanks to my X who stole half but she has no restrictions on what she can do? :)

Thanks Jeff

Well I was working for a local company for a couple months at a low rate of pay, but is was a job. I was then informed by the pension company I paid into for 32years that I could not work in the same industry in which I was employed while paying into the pension. Trucking (freight) teamsters and central states pension fund, so I had to quit and must find work and I am limited to certain industries. I cannot work Trucking and Freight in any capacity Car Haul ,Tank Haul,Warehouse,Food Processing or Distribution, Grocery, Dairy, Bakery,Brewery,and soft drink, Buliding material or constructiion. I was told I can work in any capacity for government, or as sales person at Home Depot or Lowes or something of that sort, but I know it was mentioned before in this forum or government jobs which I think would include civilian military? I thought of ,what KL Roger did for a living but don't know if I would be qualified. I have California class A CDL with Hazmat and all the endorsements doubles, triples, air brakes, tanker I didn't pick up the passenger endorsement but I think I could go back and get that without to much trouble. I know this whole thing with the pension really stinks but it has been challenged in court several times before, so I am not going that route. Any help or referrals would be greatly appreciated. Oh I guess I can be employed as an instructor (CDL) If I could find a job in my original capacity I could put my pension on hold but there are no jobs like that available that I know of. The job I gave up paid about half as much as it should have and I was getting shorted every pay in some way or another, and my pension alone is not sufficent to live on, thanks to my X who stole half but she has no restrictions on what she can do? :)

Thanks Jeff

So...can you drive class A vehicles for a public agency and not breech your retirement contract? If so, and you don't have any background issues (felony convictions), you should try applying at water districts, Cities, Counties, and related. Heck, if I my budget wasn't recently slashed...I'd give you an interview. We have a hard time finding valid class A drivers...and I know this is true of other agencies as well. My best bet would be try the water districts...they are funded by water sales and are fairly isolated from these recent financial implusions. Other public utilities would also be a good spot to try.

Lastly, don't hesitate to send out "unsolicited" resumes. Just find out the name of the maintenance supervisor and send it directly to him or her.

I tried with Romona water district they were to hire 2 or 3 people and after going through the process I found out they hired internally, but I am willing to try, I have 35+yrs experience in every kind of equipment as far as flat bed, lowboy,carhauler,dump trailer,transfer and belly dumps, mostly 53'vans and I have operatied heavy equipment I am cofident I can operate pretty much anything. I spent the last 30yrs working for Roadway Express, I have several saftey awards and a perfect attendance for the entire 30yrs I was employed with them, never missed a day. I am of the opinion that it takes knowing someone in the right position to find work now, but thanks I will keep trying. :) Jeff

Oh yeah no felonies I did have a couple of speeding tickets 3 I think in 35+yrs and one equipment violation?

Such a rebel Jeff! :) good luck maybe the water districts will work out

Jeff,

I checked with the Marines I work with (I work at the headquarters, strategic mobility section) to see if they know how the system works. I know we ship quite a bit of gear all over the country - some of it goes via contract over the road (trucking companies bid for the movement contract - that wouldn't help you since they're not a "government job"). Some (mostly buses with passengers, but some trucks too) goes via Southwest Region Fleet Transportation (SWRFT). I suspect SWRFT is a "subcontractor" so working for them might be against your pension restrictions (you'll have to check with them and see - click on the link).

I posted this earlier in DirtDame's thread, but you might want to check HERE at the MCCS Employment site. I don't know if they have anything up your alley, but they might...

Good luck!!!