KTMrad

RIDE TO WORK DAY is Monday JUNE 15th

June 11, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: (877) 877-8969

E-mail: pterhorst@ama-cycle.org

American Motorcyclist Association reminds motorcyclists that Ride to Work Day is Monday, June 15

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) is encouraging the country's millions of street riders to demonstrate the social benefits of commuting on two wheels on the 18th annual Ride to Work Day, Monday, June 15.

"Motorcycles and scooters are not only fun to ride, they are an efficient, economical way to get from point A to point B," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "This is true for the rider, but also for other commuters, as motorcycles take up less parking space, cause far less wear and tear on the road surface, and generally improve the flow of traffic compared to cars."

Ride to Work Day has become an international event in recent years, with participation in cities around the world and support from the Federation International de Motocyclisme. In the United States, it has been recognized on the floor of the House of Representatives by both Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) and Rep. Michael Burgess (R-Texas), both consistent supporters of motorcyclist's rights.

Video recorded comments by Rep. Giffords can also be viewed at AmericanMotorcyclist.com.

According to the United States Census Bureau and the Department of Transportation, more than 80 million cars and light trucks are used for daily commuting on American roads, and about 200,000 motorcycles and scooters are a regular part of this mix. On Ride To Work Day, the practical side of riding becomes more visible as a larger number of America's motorcycles and scooters are ridden to work.

Event organizers say the number of motorcyclists on the road likely will double on this year's Ride to Work Day.

"With such a significant increase in riders on America's roads during the busiest time of day -- rush hour -- the benefits are clear," said AMA Vice President of Government Relations Ed Moreland. "Ride to Work Day also demonstrates to non-riders that motorcycles and scooters are a socially responsible form of transportation that conserve energy, help the environment and, let's face it, are just a cool way to get around. And for riders, Ride to Work Day is a great reminder that the journey is every bit as important as the destination."

This year will be the 18th annual Ride to Work Day, which was started by Andy Goldfine, a member of the AMA Board of Directors and founder of the company Aerostich. More information about Ride to Work Day can be found at RideToWork.org.

About the American Motorcyclist Association

Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations.

I'm off that day... I'll ride not to work :lol:

who wants to ride not to work on Monday June 15th?

I was thinking Lark Canyon before it gets too hot

What a novel idea, why not ride everyday,except when it rains ;) You get to use carpool lanes, split lanes, you get the idea.

Everyday is ride to work day for me! Whooo hoooo!!!

What a novel idea, why not ride everyday,except when it rains ;) You get to use carpool lanes, split lanes, you get the idea.

Schwinn,

it will be nice to finally have company out there on the commute. Rarely do I see more than a hand full of other bikes on the commute. (Mine is short compared to yours though.) There should be a Ride to Work day each month! Really makes so much sense to ride to work here in So Cal.

That said though....... Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are the last days I will be riding to work...... :good:

Spyder

Schwinn,

it will be nice to finally have company out there on the commute. Rarely do I see more than a hand full of other bikes on the commute. (Mine is short compared to yours though.) There should be a Ride to Work day each month! Really makes so much sense to ride to work here in So Cal.

That said though....... Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are the last days I will be riding to work...... :good:

Spyder

Dont say the word "Retirement"

Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are the last days I will be riding to work...... :lol:

Spyder

SWEET! - Congrats Spyder!

Maybe I'll ride the Superchicken to work on Monday :good: .......hmmmmm.....better go visit that Battery Tender thread too..... ;);):o

[Dont say the word "Retirement"

Well...... Ok....... I won't say it.

Spyder

And thanks Chris!

See ya all out there this morning!

Be Safe :lol: ATGATT

Spyder

Well, I rode today to work (last day on the KLX250S as they are picking it up on Wed)! But, maybe it does not count since I usually commute to work every day... B)

Rode in today.

Of course I do almost every day but . . .

I saw even less bikes today. I think most people are fair weather riders but today was very enjoyable all the way to Santa Ana and saw a badass plane that was all grey and white camo with no writing on it except for the tail R2T. It was landing at John Wayne airport, the plane was about a 100 passenger 2 engine jet. Private? I love the carpool lanes.

did my share, feeling much better about things too!!

Blind :focus:...had one of "those" days yesterday...ugh

They're all those days.... B)

whoops.......I forgot :huh: :lazy: :focus: :fool: :huh::blink:

B)

Weak Mr. Crawford... Weak...

You sound like my teenager... :lol:

Weak Mr. Crawford... Weak...

You sound like my teenager... B)

"You're right, and I just remembered....your son Mickey was supposed to call and remind me......so it's his fault" (NOW I sound like MY teenager :focus: )

I rode in also........but didn't see another bike on the road, but I left the house at 9am, so most people were already at work. I think the rush hour from 3-6pm we'll see a lot of bikes........maybe ?

I only saw three other bikes on the way in to work today on the VMax, I thought I'd see more than that.

Seems like some bike riders are like some gun owners, they like what the NRA and AMA do to protect thier rights to own firearms and ride motorcycles but they don't support either organization in things like this. They are also usually the first people to "pitch a bitch" the loudest when their rights get encroached on and then have the nerve to ask "Why" and not think about how they've enjoyed the benefits of others hard work.

Sorry, rant off ..... B)

I'm not working today, but to support the cause, I duct-taped Cody to my back fender and took him shopping... how do you get the sticky residue off a 2 year-old?

I'm not working today, but to support the cause, I duct-taped Cody to my back fender and took him shopping... how do you get the sticky residue off a 2 year-old?

Gasoline usually dissolves glue. Use sparingly and don't get him near any source of open flame or sparks. :lazy: B) :focus: :blink:

GOOFOFF.jpg

B) :focus: :blink: :lazy: :fool:

I forgot today was the day and because it was supposed to rain I didnt ride

I forgot today was the day and because it was supposed to rain I didnt ride

What!! Mickey forgot to call you as well as Chris? :lol: