rwynant

Sunday 5/31/2009- easy to mid level ride

Packards in Ramona

9am leave time ish...

This is the Other Randy....I've been on several dirty rides, but not as many as some of the group. I really enjoyed riding each time I went on San Diego Adventure Riders RIDES. I've gone on some dirt rides as well as some SM rides.

Come on down.....the current plan is Black Canyon, Mesa Grande, and find our way to Nates Grade, and back the fast side of Palomar....then hunt down Boulder Creek.....dirt and street AKA Dual Sport!!!

BTW, if there are other ideas....no prob, will consider anything. I hope we can get some of the regulars out Sunday, as that would be cool.

Looking forward to riding Sunday.

DSC01297.jpg

Mines the one on the right....Track Day at Horse Thief Mile, Willow Springs.... ;-)

DSC01448.JPG

Strega and I rode the street bikes today.......we headed up to Santa Isabel for lunch then cut across 79/Mesa Grande to 76/Pala Racetrack......as we were riding by the intersection of Mesa Grande and Black Canyon Rd. (around 1:30pm?) a couple of guys were loading a blue dirt bike into the back of a truck........I just saw it out of the corner of my eye as we rode by and couldn't tell if it was dualsported or not..........the situation appeared to be under control (bike was already up in the truck) and we were too lazy to stop or turn around.......hope it wasn't you :blink::unsure:

We headed down 76 to Pala and watched the action for a bit........then we went our separate ways......Roger went down 76/old 395/etc.......I headed back up 76 to Cole Grade Rd, dropped down through Valley Center, 78, home.......~100 miles

Just got home, good ride. 76, Old 395, Del Dios, Via de la Valle, El Camino to home. Great ride, thanks CDaddy for leading once again. Hope that wasn't you in that truck buddy!

>Hope that wasn't you in that truck buddy!

I'm not sure if that was Randy's bike being loaded but I can tell you he wasn't in the truck. Bad news is he is probably still at Palomar Hospital. About a mile shy of Mesa Grande Randy went down hard and had to get an ambulance ride. It sounded like broken ribs and possibly collarbone/shoulder.

We stashed his bike behind the closed gas station/store with the owners permission, she was nice enough to let us use her phone to call 911, cell reception was crap. Randy's friend with the black DRZ (sorry, terrible with names) went to get a truck/trailer to get his bike.

Randy get better soon.

Kirk.

Sorry about the fall Randy. I hope all heals well and soon.

ah crap! :blink:

+1, that sucks :lol: ......had to have been his bike being loaded.....heal up soon buddy......

A bit short of Mesa Grande you say??........hmmmmm.......probably one of those two slick/slippery sweepers at the end of the straight section once you emerge from the trees......lots of folks hit those with too much speed......

Update: RWynant is a good friend of mine, I was not on the ride, but this is the info I got from my friends who helped get his bike home........I am going to try to see him at Palomar Hospital today....will post more updates after I see him.

6 broken ribs, broken collar bone and shoulder, collapsed lung.

"RW insists he was doing about 35 in right hander going north on Black

Canyon, up in the trees near the end, caught a rut, lost front, and

launched himself onto right side (obviously) very hard. He was in back

(Dave and a guy from SDAR in front), and had to lay there for 10 minutes

while Dave came back. He couldn't get his breath as his lung was

collapsing, ouch. Then, the magic bumpy 1 hour ambulance ride out

I imagine he is royally sore this AM."

Sorry to hear about your fall. Rest/heal up and let us know your progress.

Take care,

Randy L.

Dang, always hard to hear about a fellow rider getting injured. This was on Mesa Grande heading down towards the Hideout? I am trying to think of which corners you guys are talking about as I have been out there quite a few times and generally love that road.

Dang, always hard to hear about a fellow rider getting injured. This was on Mesa Grande heading down towards the Hideout? I am trying to think of which corners you guys are talking about as I have been out there quite a few times and generally love that road.

The incident happened on Black Canyon, which is the dirt road that comes off of Mesa Grande.

Just spoke with his wife MJ.

Many questions yet to answer regarding treatment for the ribs, shoulder and collar bone. Cat Scan showed a fracture in his back as well (spine) and when possible will do an MRI to determine if it's old or new.

The lung was collapsing due to pressure from the ribs and is responding to treatment. Thankfully no puncture!

Crappity crappity crappity! I hope he makes a speedy and complete recovery.

I did 3 ribs, collar bone and shoulder blade and lacerated spleen about 3 years ago......there is no treatment, just time.....sitting in a chair for 6 weeks.

Oh man I will be praying for his recovery and his family.

I didn't know there was a dirt road over that way only been out that way in a car

Update:

Just spoke with him. Collar bone is a CLEAN break so should heal well on it's own. Scapula is surrounded by bone and muscle tissue and will do the same. The 6 broken ribs he can hear/feel "clicking" as he moves, so OUCH!!! That will give him quite some pain for quite some time. Turns out he actually does have a lung puncture, but it's also expected to heal on it's own.

Heal well Randy... we're pulling for you. We'd each take turns taking your pain from you if we could... :lol:

I'll pray for a fast recovery. Are there any repairs needed on the bike we can pitch in on? Maybe bring it to Pasta's for a fix or two or three..........?

Was he wearing a chest protector or body armor?

I can tell you from personal experience it probably wouldn't have helped. Most rib fractures and collar bones don't come from the sharp impact with pointy objects that the armor is meant to defend. It's usually the trauma associated with the body's deceleration when hitting the ground. In my case, I had plenty of armor, but just the [massive] weight of my body thrown to the ground, pushing my arm against the ribcage is what did it. Lungs are typically punctured by the broken ribs, not from an outside foreign object.

Not that armor does not have it's place. I hit chest-first into my handlebar mount (different fall) that certainly would have caused significant damage to my sternum had I not had the armor's protector plate.

It's just a different kind of trauma.

I can tell you from personal experience it probably wouldn't have helped. Most rib fractures and collar bones don't come from the sharp impact with pointy objects that the armor is meant to defend. It's usually the trauma associated with the body's deceleration when hitting the ground. In my case, I had plenty of armor, but just the [massive] weight of my body thrown to the ground, pushing my arm against the ribcage is what did it. Lungs are typically punctured by the broken ribs, not from an outside foreign object.

Not that armor does not have it's place. I hit chest-first into my handlebar mount (different fall) that certainly would have caused significant damage to my sternum had I not had the armor's protector plate.

Yeah I was not sure about the ribs but understand with the collar bone. Maybe we should all ride around wearing bullet proof vests. But even then people get broken ribs I just hope Randy makes a full recovery

maybe try not crashing so much B)

Randy- sounds like the same place I crashed last ride in the area... I can easily see how it would happen. Best of luck, and post when you are able... if you need anything from the club, let us know..

maybe try not crashing so much B)

Huh. Let me think about that one. B)

Heal well, Randy, and realize it will take a LOT of time.

"RW insists he was doing about 35 in right hander going north on Black

Canyon, up in the trees near the end, caught a rut,

There was a rut just before where he went down that could have been the straw that pushed his 606 just past the edge of traction.

He was in back

(Dave and a guy from SDAR in front), and had to lay there for 10 minutes

while Dave came back

I was the guy with Dave, we got to the end of Black Canyon looked at each other for a few seconds and said "he was right with us just a couple turns back" we waited for a few more seconds and figured something had happened. Backtracked about a mile and there he was.

No chest protector but this was more of a mellow street/fire road ride. His street jacket was cut off by the paramedics but I didn't notice if there were pads in it as we were stashing his stuff behind the building on Mesa Grande.

Kirk