I got up this morning and this was the front page news. :angry:

5-29-200974954AM.jpg

As if we don't already have too few and faraway venues for recreation. And it will only hurt the economy, too. :(

thats unbelievable.

what will they do make it wilderness so no one can go there or make it blm?

thats unbelievable.

what will they do make it wilderness so no one can go there or make it blm?

So far, it looks like they are planning to just CLOSE the parks to the public. I think the public will find ways to get in anyway in a lot of cases.

The same damn thing is going on with the local fishing areas like POINT LOMA, La Jolla and dana point and so on.

I am a RSG member on the MLPA, drawing maps for closure and believe it or not, I,m a good guy.

some are trying to take take take just like they did to our local riding areas.

its not easy

Local gems on list of parks that state could shut down

By Michael Gardner

U-T SACRAMENTO BUREAU

2:00 a.m. May 29, 2009

LOCAL PARKS TARGETED

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger will propose shuttering 220 parks statewide, including these in San Diego County:

Anza-Borrego Desert State Park

Border Field State Park

Carlsbad State Beach

Cuyamaca Rancho State Park

Palomar Mountain State Park

San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park

Silver Strand State Beach

Torrey Pines State Beach

Torrey Pines State Reserve

(Also targeted for closure is the Salton Sea State Recreation Area in Imperial and Riverside counties.)

Online: For the complete list of proposed state park closures, go to uniontrib.com/more/parkslist

SACRAMENTO – Cash-starved California may be forced to close some of its most treasured state parks, including Anza-Borrego and Torrey Pines in San Diego County.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's budget-cutting plan would take more than $213 million away from parks over the next two fiscal years, leaving little choice but to shut down 220 of 279 statewide as early as this fall.

Iconic parks where visitors gasp at towering redwoods, gaze into the emerald hues of Lake Tahoe and learn how life was lived in the Old West could be off-limits to the public. Several state beaches along San Diego's world-famous coast are on the list, as are some mountain campgrounds.

Parks officials yesterday released what they called worst-case-scenario closures. The governor has targeted parks for budget cuts before with little success.

Last year, Schwarzenegger proposed temporarily shuttering 48 state parks and beaches. The plan drew stiff resistance in the Legislature and elsewhere, and was withdrawn.

But the state's budget picture has become much worse since then. Schwarzenegger and lawmakers are staring at an estimated $24.3 billion deficit.

“This is an unprecedented crisis, and things that were previously dead on arrival are a lot more viable in a crisis like this,” said Assemblyman Jared Huffman, D-San Rafael.

Assemblyman Mike Villines, R-Clovis, warned, “Parks are just not going to be a priority over public safety and education, as much as we hate to see them close.”

The governor had warned that more painful cuts were on the way after California voters rejected several budget-related ballot measures last week. Schwarzenegger and the Legislature are just beginning weeks-long negotiations over the cuts. In addition to the parks proposal, Schwarzenegger aides yesterday revealed he will seek an additional 5 percent pay cut for the state's 235,000 employees to save nearly $900 million.

The lower salaries would come on top of a 9.2 percent reduction – through two furlough days per month – already imposed on much of the state's work force. This time there will be no additional furlough days, spokesman Matt David said.

Visitors to the San Diego region could discover closure postings at some of the region's most popular parks.

In addition to Torrey Pines State Reserve and Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, Cuyamaca Rancho and Palomar Mountain state parks are targeted. Others on the list are Silver Strand and Carlsbad state beaches, Border Field State Park and San Pasqual Battlefield State Historic Park.

Officials said the parks targeted for closure, in general, do not generate enough visitor turnout to offset ongoing costs.

The early-warning list does not specifically address what would happen to rangers and lifeguards, but as many as 2,000 could lose their jobs. The state recently sent layoff notices to 5,000 other workers.

Beaches cannot be fenced off, but the state would probably not maintain restrooms or day-use picnic facilities. Ranger programs would be curtailed and lifeguard towers left empty.

Some local parks that generate more revenue than expenses will remain open.

Old Town State Historic Park in San Diego will keep bustling, thanks to concession fees generated by the restaurants and shops there. Local state beaches that would remain open include Cardiff, San Elijo, San Onofre and South Carlsbad.

Also, off-roaders will still be able to take their vehicles to Ocotillo Wells State Vehicular Recreation Area and to Oceano Dunes on the Central Coast, two popular parks that would remain open because entrance fees cover operational costs.

Statewide, Hearst Castle is the most notable park on the saved list, along with many popular state beaches. The Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is considered “likely” to keep operating, according to the list.

But threatened closures include several well-known parks, such as Bodie, Humboldt Redwoods, Point Lobos, Governor's Mansion, Pfeiffer Big Sur, Jack London and Año Nuevo.

The closures would be temporary, but no timeline for reopening was provided.

Various proposals to raise revenue to supplement park funding have surfaced in recent years. But the governor has been cool to increasing fees and taxes, contending that voters sent a clear message in the May 19 special election not to raise any more taxes.

State parks spokesman Roy Stearns said day-use fees could double in many locations that stay open. That decision would be left to local park superintendents, who would determine “what the traffic will bear.”

“What we're looking at now is cuts and cuts,” Stearns said. “We have reached the end of the fuse.”

Stearns said the threat to close parks is not a scare tactic, despite last year's reversal.

“We have a worse recession and a worse budget deficit” this year, he explained.

As the governor raised the notion of cutting park funding last week, the California State Parks Foundation issued an alarm.

“The governor's harsh proposal to take general fund support away from California's state parks – even if done over time – will have a profound and devastating impact on parks and on all Californians,” foundation President Elizabeth Goldstein said in a statement.

“Closing parks not only loses the potential to earn revenues that support that park, but it also causes revenue losses to the local economies in communities that surround state parks,” Goldstein said.

“This is not the time to be causing further economic turmoil in communities around the state.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

In the Union-Tribune on Page A1

I'm surprised that Ocotillo Wells SVRA wasn't on the list. This is not good news, we already have such limited riding area.

I'm surprised that Ocotillo Wells SVRA wasn't on the list. This is not good news, we already have such limited riding area.

I guess that SOME of the green sticker money still gets to fund that area.

Meanwhile, what will become of the annual Desert Dash? :angry:

only b/c i am curious....if they "close" these places...what does that mean for the areas??

sounds like it's less rangers, therefore less rules?? or more "adventure" style camping etc??

do we all go Mad Max style to these places then??

seems to me that the options of "closing" these parks only makes the infrastructure inaccessible?(*toilets, ranger stations, etc)

think typing here....but, isn't the land still there? and there will be less enforcement, and therefore less

likely to be "caught"?? i am not one to break the laws, but with the enforcers not being paid they won't be there

to "catch" the offenders(*meaning, well, old west style of behavior...) will the mentality be, don't ask don't tell?

or is the penalty going to be so marked up that no one dares to enter?? seems slippery slope to me...

this budget thing is gonna get messier and messier....until what/when etc?? should be interesting to see.

Blind :angry:...wonders what our kids will see....IF we make it that far...

I am wondering how they will enforce closure of these areas, especially the big parks. They can't fence them. They can't afford to patrol them, so how exactly will these places be closed to the public? Without rangers, people who don't know any better will start forest fires and vandalize the areas for those of us who respect the outdoors and want to enjoy it, preserve it and keep it safe. Even staffed with rangers, they can barely keep up with all kinds of illegal activities like pot farming and the like.

Maybe it is time for me to move to AZ...CA is in a world of hurt.

I am wondering how they will enforce closure of these areas, especially the big parks. They can't fence them. They can't afford to patrol them, so how exactly will these places be closed to the public?

it's true. Maybe the REAL story is how many riding areas will be available now...

it's in the subtext, and i think you nailed it FN.

catch-as-catch-can?? i think i am in that mode if it's gonna be that way....

black on black(*reversible??), with a poss "black out" switch on the lights....no one sees nothing.

plate quick removal...*dust in the wind*

not that i WOULD....but :angry:

:(

Right. It's impossible to "close" large tracts of land, at least cheaply. Without expensive patrol and enforcement, the Mad Max thing would happen quickly, squatters and all.

I think Arnie is just trying to provoke a hue and cry of outrage so that he can try again to drum up support for increasing revenues and/or cutting costs.

I'd pay cash to ride the trails in Cuyamaca! Get away with green sticker areas, and open up "pay to play" locations! I believe in a balanced budget, but stealing green sticker fees, then closing more dual sport areas plain BLOWS

Like anyone is going to stop surfing at Torrey pines or Carlsbad state beach I mean so they stop paying to maintain it? They close camping areas? They wont actually keep people off the beach

Like anyone is going to stop surfing at Torrey pines or Carlsbad state beach I mean so they stop paying to maintain it? They close camping areas? They wont actually keep people off the beach

Here is an excerpt from the Press Enterprise in the Inland Empire area.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories...30.475154c.html

Officials said the closed parks and beaches would be gated where possible, and all staff would be removed except for roving patrols that would monitor them for trespassers and damage once or twice a month.

The only parks spared from closure would be state reservoirs, off-highway vehicle areas and parks that generate more money than it costs to maintain them, said H.D. Palmer, deputy director of the state Finance Department. (If you can believe that)

I think Arnie is just trying to provoke a hue and cry of outrage so that he can try again to drum up support for increasing revenues and/or cutting costs.

Forest, You hit the nail on the head.

Most (not all) services that the state provides is for the poor/illegals. By closing state parks this now effects the middle & wealthy(which do not consume nearly as much state resources) .

Therefore making it easier for Arnold to raise taxes.

I was out in Anza Borrego on Friday and was told by a Park Ranger that Ocotilla Wells will not be closed as it is funded by the gas tax. He also said most of the Park Rangers at Anza Borrego wil be laid off in the next 2 months. ;)

most of the Park Rangers at Anza Borrego wil be laid off in the next 2 months.

Fine by me. All they do is write me bogus parking tickets anyway. ;)

I would rather the state cut all the handouts to loafers and keep the rangers... Course I'd rather that the rangers consider themselves public servants instead of prison guards (no offense Roger)

I would rather ride abdsp knowing there is a dedicated group of public servants watching out.... I like puppies and rainbows, too, and when I pass gas, it smells like potpourri

I think you've said enough....or possibly too much. B):lol:

I guess that SOME of the green sticker money still gets to fund that area.

Meanwhile, what will become of the annual Desert Dash? :lol:

Correct. "Self funded parks" are not affected. Ocotillo Wells is paid for by your OHV funds and thus will stay open. It is not a "general fund" park.

NO Rangers actually works for me.

Unfortunately, NO RANGERS would equal NO PARKS. Given the legalistic nature of our society, the park must be able to demonstrate that they have adequate personnel (Rangers), policies, and funding in place to operate the facility in a manner that public safety can be maintained. If not, they are open to law suits from anyone who would be injured at the park.

most of the Park Rangers at Anza Borrego wil be laid off in the next 2 months.

Fine by me. All they do is write me bogus parking tickets anyway. :lol:

Again, Unfortunately, the end result will be worse. Either they will close areas or the San Diego Sheriff's Office will step in during the absence of the primary L.E. agency (State Rangers). The S.O. has no recreational use training and are hard core Law Enforcement officers. They will issue a lot more citations than Rangers...guaranteed!