kiwi

Private Property or Public Property closed by Local Land Owners?

I live in Temecula and just started Dual Sport riding in the area. I found some nice forest roads up near Hixon Trail and Allisandro Trail heads. One heads towards Temecula and is posted as being 6S89. It then turns into Juan Diego Flats Road then becomes Reed Valley road. BUT, there is a locked gate blocking Reed Valley Road at Alley Road (6 pad locks, none USFS). I was told by a local Temecula resident that 10 years ago he and his friends rode up this same road and it was posted as a USFS road. One time they found 2 locked gates and proceded around them and were physically attacked by 2 guys on Tractors threatening citizens arrest on them. The Sheriff and USFS were both notified, and done nothing. Eventually someone found a big 'weed patch' growing beyond the gate and the Sheriff done a bust and the gate dissapered at the same time. Now there is a Locked gate across Reed Valley road. After 1 hr on the phone to Riverside County, they are not sure as to weather it is public or private and directed me to another county Dept. on the second floor in Riverside. Any one know anything about this, or have any suggestions?

It is a nice ride from the Nat. Forest down to the gate, but then you would have to launch your bike over the big rock on the right. Not that I have ever done this, by mistake :). Just want to be safe and legal.

I think that there are more roads than just the one you pictured there, that are supposed to be public roads that have been blocked of out in that area. :) I have seen gates with about seven or eight padlocks on them, for all the different people who live back behind the gate. I have often joked about adding one more padlock. Who would notice one extra one? :lol:

And another time in the same area, there was a trailhead marked with an official forest service sign that said "OHV corridor" at one end, but when I reached the other end, a land owner had strung barbed wire across the way where the trail met the other paved road and had put up a "no trespassing" and "private property" sign. :angry:

I think that there are more roads than just the one you pictured there, that are supposed to be public roads that have been blocked of out in that area. :) I have seen gates with about seven or eight padlocks on them, for all the different people who live back behind the gate. I have often joked about adding one more padlock. Who would notice one extra one? :angry:

I was thinking about an extra chain and padlock just above theirs :lol: Just imagine the look on their faces coming home to a 'locked gate'.

GPS mark the location. Map it. Take it to the County Assessors office. Ask for the parcel map & check who owns the property. If it's privately owned, see if there are any existing easements allowing public passage (not just for county maintenance).

I treat the folks at the assessors REAL nice and they can walk you thru a variety of stuff that would take you a while.

If it's illegally locked, ask the assessors what the next best step would be. Sometimes Code Compliance officers are the best solution because they know obscure laws & county codes prohibiting the lock out.

I know where that gate is...last time I went through there, the bolder to the left was not there. I dont know if its public or not but I did talk with a ranger on the Hixon side and she said that there have been reports of the guy who lives back there pulling a gun on guys trying to pass through. Its sad that this is what our country has come too. Because I heard that the guy has pulled a gun (true or not) I will not ride the back side of the mountain as I have already had a great friend shot while riding (he lived). IMHO, riding some where in question is just not worth it to me (whether is Baja or State side).

Here is the gate:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Reed+Valley+...12,22.5,,0,5.97

This whole things pisses me off...I am going to make some phone calls and see what is up... :)

This whole things pisses me off...I am going to make some phone calls and see what is up... :angry:

I hit the assessor's office regularly. You have my contact info. Give me a call with the exact location and I'll see if I can't help figure it out.