The Ghostriderz have been working on Cedar Creek 13S11. We have some positive dialogue with the Forest Dept. Here is the update.

This section in the Cleveland National Forest has been closed since 02/06/09. The website states closed due to rain. The Ghostriderz explored this area last weekend and found the road to be in fine condition, even though there are closed gates on both sides. The Ghostriderz contacted Joan Friedlander and the Palomar Ranger District(760-788-0250). We had a conference call that also included Jeff. Jeff rides a 640 Adventure. In our discussion, it was decided that this road will be inspected in the next two weeks. This road is currently closed to everything except Mtn Bikes, hikers, and horses. They are open to the idea of opening this road up to motorcycles in the event it will not be open to vehicles, as motorcycles are not any wider than a horse. Joan said they could possibly cut the lower bar off of the horse gate to allow street legal motorcycles. It was discussed that after enough motorcycles traveled the road, it would then be more accessible to vehicles, possible opening the road completely at little expense to the forest dept. Joan is in favor of the premise of allowing the public to access public lands. She said that these Gates they put up, cost about $5000.00 dollars installed. While gates are needed, for less than a $1000.00 a grader could be hired to improve the road, thus saving $4000.00. I will be in contact with Joan in 2 weeks to get an update.

I hope they open it. It's been closed for a long time (since about 2005, I thought) and would make part of a great loop if it were to be reopened.

I just got off the phone with the Palomar Ranger District office about Santa Isabel TT (the connector between Pamo Rd. and Black Canyon Bridge).....it remains closed to other than foot traffic/mtn bikers/horses.....I had a pretty long chat with them, informed them about our club, told them I was "local" and not some snot faced hooligan/kid........ told them about our club's relationship in Descanso and adoption of a portion of Kernan Cycle trail........told them I'd be happy to come in and talk to them in person and that I could easily mobilize a volunteer army to help maintain Santa Isabel TT and earn our keep (understanding that we would not be maintaining it for jeeps/trucks but making sure it provided safe passage for street legal bikes in addition to hikers, horses/bicycles)......told them we'd simply like to be able to legally pass through the horse gate - leave the main gate locked to prevent Yahoo's in jeeps/trucks from tearing it up.....I was told I would receive a call back......we'll see what develops.....

I'm hoping I can make some positive headway with these folks......I've been unsuccessful in the past but I also haven't ever had a face to face meeting with them......hopefully I'll be able to break through.....

Awsome work guys. I'd volunteer for trail clean up if needed. <_<

Hey Kevin, and or Chris, if you guys need a backup call to the people you're dealing with, to let them know SDAR supports your efforts to open the trails, let me know and I'll be happy to call them.

If anyone else wants to get involved to try to open trails/dirt roads that you know of, let me know if you need any help or advice.

Thanks for all your help,

...It's been closed for a long time (since about 2005, I thought)...

Yep. That is what I have witnessed... and one can check the web archives to confirm that it has been closed for years too.

Thanks for everyone's support. I believe we should take this one step and one trail at a time. Let the slow process work. When and if this trail does become open, we would then have protocol to use on the next trail. Chris, I have addressed your situation last year, and even talked to the Engineer responsible for the road. A phone conversation would be best if you want to know all the details(call me). The last thing I want is to "bombard" Joan with other issues/phone calls until this one is resolved. She asked for two weeks to get this idea worked out, so be patient and I will let you know then the next action is needed if any.

Craig, your are correct it dates back to 2005. The Ghostriderz did some recon on this trail about 2 years ago, just after a grader went threw. You could have taken an RV down the rode. But the gate remain locked. This issue was also discussed. Joan is somewhat new(about a year), so let's see what she can do. She seems very open to public land being open to the public, as well as Jeff whom was in on the conference call.

After this gate issue is resolved, the GhostRiderz will be working on the closed area in Dulzura!

The Ghostriderz have been working on Cedar Creek 13S11. We have some positive dialogue with the Forest Dept. Here is the update.

She said that these Gates they put up, cost about $5000.00 dollars installed. While gates are needed, for less than a $1000.00 a grader could be hired to improve the road, thus saving $4000.00. I will be in contact with Joan in 2 weeks to get an update.

To expidite opening, If they rent the grader and pay fuel, I could donate my time to reshape it. <_<

Good Job Ghostriderz!

She said that these Gates they put up, cost about $5000.00 dollars installed. While gates are needed, for less than a $1000.00 a grader could be hired to improve the road, thus saving $4000.00. I will be in contact with Joan in 2 weeks to get an update.

To expidite opening, If they rent the grader and pay fuel, I could donate my time to reshape it. :ph34r:

Good Job Ghostriderz!

Your volunteer work is admirable. The GhostRiderz feel that we should hold the public servants accoutable for the public having access to our public lands. Thus, they should properly manage their assests and priorities. There will be a time and place were we can all help, but lets provide this service because we want to, not because we have to in order to access public lands. The Ghostriderz are using different avenues to handle the current loss of access to public lands as the traditional ways seem to conitnue to fail. The Ghostriderz are working on an issue to generate serious $$ to compensate our opponents. Stay tuned for details.

Here is the latest.

I talked to Joan today, and this ROAD IS NOW OPEN to all vehicles. She had road maintanance performed, thus now even allowing high profile vehicles. She is continuing to work on the motorcycle only access when the road becomes difficult, as opposed to closing it. We will be talking to her in a couple of months regarding this additional issue. Joan realizes that the road will "somewhat" maintain itself if it is open to even partial access. Joan again stated she is for the public to have access!!

The Ghostriderz will now move onto another closed area to try and accomplish its re-opening.

Here is the latest.

I talked to Joan today, and this ROAD IS NOW OPEN to all vehicles. She had road maintanance performed, thus now even

The Ghostriderz will now move onto another closed area to try and accomplish its re-opening.

:o:) :ok: :blink: :dance: <_<:rolleyes: Thanks a bunch! I think I'll go take a ride out there this week.

Here is the latest.

I talked to Joan today, and this ROAD IS NOW OPEN to all vehicles. She had road maintanance performed, thus now even allowing high profile vehicles. She is continuing to work on the motorcycle only access when the road becomes difficult, as opposed to closing it. We will be talking to her in a couple of months regarding this additional issue. Joan realizes that the road will "somewhat" maintain itself if it is open to even partial access. Joan again stated she is for the public to have access!!

They never called me back about Santa Isabel TT and I backed off so they could address one issue at a time.......maybe the Ghostly ones would like to influence that reopening as well.....

The satisfaction of a good loop... :rolleyes:

...maybe more will venture down Eagle Peak Road who hadn't been down there since it had become a dead-end.

The satisfaction of a good loop... <_<

...maybe more will venture down Eagle Peak Road who hadn't been down there since it had become a dead-end.

Well....I kept going down there and taking a look at it. :rolleyes:

The satisfaction of a good loop... :)

Well....I kept going down there and taking a look at it. <_<

That's 'cause you got a secret fishin' hole... ooops, I mean there's nothing out that way... uh nothing to see... everyone turn around... :rolleyes:

:blink:

I only got to ride Cedar Creek once before it got gated. I might just wander out there in the next few weeks and take a much closer look... I recall there looked to be a few good spots to take a snack break and enjoy the breeze... :rolleyes:

Is Cedar Creek the left turn at the end of Eagle Peak Road? (I say end, but what I mean is where THE MAN has decided that it should end)

I've looked down there thinking that it was a pretty awesome looking canyon!!!

So are the gates now open or do we have permission to ride around them?

I know there is loads of room up top - I was there in my truck, but noticed that some scofflaws would have an easy time if they wanted to go around on a bike...

The National Forest Website shows:

Cedar Creek (13S11)

Closed

Palomar

San Diego Cty

Closed 2/6/09 rain

Obviously that'll be the last thing updated - I'm sure...

Only closed since 2/6/09 eh? :rolleyes:

Here is the latest.

Okay....when does the road REALLY physically open??????? :angry: It ain't open today! It's locked up tight as can be.

It would appear that our local public local servants in charge of our public lands have been mis-guiding the Ghostriderz. Stay tuned, don't turn the dial.

I really like that sticker. I wonder how that got there??

Looks like a couple of feeble attempts were made to remove it.