DigDug

IT'S TIME! Big Bear Pre-run...

I've been holding off posting this to make sure I got my bike ready. Well, a quality tap and 1/2 hour's worth of time and the 450 is ready to roll! It's got fresh meat (new rear tire) and is itching for some mountains. I was thinking about loading it up with Mickey and his 300 and hitting the Pinnacles-50 loop. This is a fun loop and should give riders an idea of what riding is like on the mountain, without being too extreme. My wife, Mickey, and I were killing time in the truck last weekend so we took a drive up there to check the conditions. Most of the snow was gone (only some left in the shady areas). We took a drive down to Devil's Hole and it's still a little deep/swift, but looks crossable - there were fresh tracks going to and from the water.

Anyone that is planning on doing the BBTR Run and trying all the hardways really ought to do this weekend's ride. We'll ride many of the trails that are pretty much guaranteed to be on the rollchart - but most are easy enough to give you a taste (the exceptions being Redonda Ridge and Devil's Hole) of what's there and decide whether you really want to subject yourself and your bike to the challenge. This loop will be intermediate plus level - but if you want to split off, there are bypasses for Redonda Ridge (the hardest part of the loop). I haven't pre-run any of the trails this year, so we may be avoiding downed trees, slogging through some leftover snow/mud/etc... While we won't be running a "race pace", we'd like to keep the group moving in order to complete the loop and begin to condition ourselves for the official run (which will be more than 3 times the length of this weekend's loop).

We're planning on getting a fairly early start so we can hopefully do the 50 mile loop and still have some time to possibly hit some easier trails to the west. We'll meet up at the Deer Springs Park-N-Ride (West side of I-15 in front of the C-Store, north of Escondido) at 7:00am and be on the road by 7:15. That should put us up at Pinnacles between 9:00 and 9:30.

The trails we'll be on are all green sticker legal so you can bring your little bikes (recommended so you can get your feet wet if you're not used to this type of terrain). It looks like red stickers are out of season. Also, I have seen, on more than one occasion, rangers checking bikes up there (spark arrestors, registration, even sound) so make sure you're legal. You'll also need an Adventure Pass to park up there.

If anyone wants to meet up at the Pinnacles staging area, here are the directions:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215 (don't miss the exit in Riverside to stay on I-215).

•Drive north on I-215 to Highway 210.

•Go east on Highway 210 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

Who's in???

Devils Hole was doable by many, about two weeks ago. Too many people out there on the weekends, though. But probably not where you will be headed. B) No snow or mud at lower elevations. Too bad about red sticker season, but lucky for greenie sticker guys.

520 top end/rebuild won't be ready in time B) ......I have a MT43 ready to slip on the rear wheel once it comes back from the shop......*may* head up that way over Mother's Day weekend.....

Those uninitiated, but GPS savvy, can pick up the ~50 mile loop/track here: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ost&p=25028

I am in, the Husky has been feeling neglected, it gets rode less than Rob's KTM :huh:B) .

Come on Schwinn, grab one of those mini bikes up there and join us.

I have room for another bike in my truck.

I am in, the Husky has been feeling neglected, it gets rode less than Rob's KTM :huh:B) .

Yes, Im in, lets go up the night before and crash at my house and ride the 7 miles over to Pinnacles.

520 top end/rebuild won't be ready in time B) ......I have a MT43 ready to slip on the rear wheel once it comes back from the shop......*may* head up that way over Mother's Day weekend.....

Those uninitiated, but GPS savvy, can pick up the ~50 mile loop/track here: http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.p...ost&p=25028

Thanks for the link Crawdaddy...

That's the loop we're planning on.

Come on daddy - don't you have a green sticker bike you can borrow or something??? Not wanting to ride the ADV on that stuff???

Come on daddy - don't you have a green sticker bike you can borrow or something??? Not wanting to ride the ADV on that stuff???

My only stickered bikes are......dare I say it B) ........quads B)B):huh:;)

I could borrow a bike and go but it wouldn't be politically wise on the homefront.....already promised Kathy a "home" weekend........also need to stay home to snap some photos/generate some 520 repair cashola via some garage sale/EBAY items........like I said, I plan on heading out somewhere the following weekend (8-10) since she's off to the river for a girls gone wild Mother's Day weekend......weekend after that is Laguna Campground (need to tune-up bicycles and do some Toybox maintenance too)

No hall pass for me this weekend as we have an out of town guest.

Best I'll be able to manage may be a quick trip out to TrashHaven (what the 4WD guys call the Twin Oaks spot).

Too bad as I could use the workout.

Best I'll be able to manage may be a quick trip out to TrashHaven (what the 4WD guys call the Twin Oaks spot).

B):huh:B) Good name for it! ;)

My only stickered bikes are......dare I say it B) ........quads B)B):huh:;)

I could borrow a bike and go but it wouldn't be politically wise on the homefront.....already promised Kathy a "home" weekend........also need to stay home to snap some photos/generate some 520 repair cashola via some garage sale/EBAY items........like I said, I plan on heading out somewhere the following weekend (8-10) since she's off to the river for a girls gone wild Mother's Day weekend......weekend after that is Laguna Campground (need to tune-up bicycles and do some Toybox maintenance too)

Where exactly is the girls gone wild Mother's day weekend? Any coordinates?

N35 07.565 W114 34.680

N35 07.565 W114 34.680

When I punch those coordinates into Google Street View, I get this: LINK

What sort of outing are they going on???

Now quite hijacking my Big Bear thread you two, fix your bikes and get them ready for Sunday!!!! ;)B):huh:B)

N35 07.565 W114 34.680

There you go.

Hey Roger, isn't that your truck parked across the street???

You coming on Sunday??? Redonda Ridge and Devil's Hole are calling your name!!!

N35 07.565 W114 34.680

There you go.

Hey Roger, isn't that your truck parked across the street???

You coming on Sunday??? Redonda Ridge and Devil's Hole are calling your name!!!

I will be gone all weekend in Palm Springs, if I was home, I would be in 100%.

I am in, the Husky has been feeling neglected, it gets rode less than Rob's KTM B) B) .

Yes, Im in, lets go up the night before and crash at my house and ride the 7 miles over to Pinnacles.

I will talk to the wife and see if I can get the ok for that. It may depend on if you are going to bring the blender or not :huh: .

bowers... I am almost approved for this ride... PM sent to beezzz already... no Friday ride for me.

South/East guys keep posts current and we can arrange carpooling...

I am in, the Husky has been feeling neglected, it gets rode less than Rob's KTM :lol::o .

I will talk to the wife and see if I can get the ok for that. It may depend on if you are going to bring the blender or not :D .

Its a house, not a cabin. There is a blender at all locations :o Umbrella not required . So come on Sailor.. :D

Alright!!!! It looks like we've got some interest in this weekend...

I also suggest packing a lunch - there's really nothing close by to the staging area. That and something to carry in your pack in case the 50 mile loop takes a while.

Weather looks nice - mid 60's and they might even get a little rain on Saturday!!! Good to keep the dust down.

Anybody else planning on doing the BBTR Run - really ought to do their best to make it out this weekend if you haven't ridden on the mountain. While these are some of the easier trails you'll see on the rollchart (again, except for Redonda Ridge and Devil's Hole), you will likely see most of them - it'll be nice to pre-run them!!!

I'm also hoping to get at least two more runs in up there before the event. Some of the harder stuff on the East side of the mountain deserve a pre-run, and then a longer day for conditioning....

Get a head count and I will sponsor lunch. I will bring a cooler full of Brown Bag Sandwiches.

Shameful free advertising at its best. :lol:

motorcycle riding is fun... enjoying the great outdoors with good friends... but to make it through the day, you need food. Brown bag sandwich company makes fresh, delicious sandwiches, and they fit in your pack. Sure; you could jaw on a power bar or choke down some beef jerky, but what you really want is a brown bag sandwich

I'll have a sub :lol:

Get a head count and I will sponsor lunch. I will bring a cooler full of Brown Bag Sandwiches.

Shameful free advertising at its best. :lol:

Gonna be carrot cake?? Ahhh, better to not tempt me.

[Location: movie set, director's chairs, camera dollies, carpenters, electricians]

[shot: starting wide, zoom to medium, camera dollies right as talent walks]

Hi, I'm Fake Name. You may know me from such popular movies as "The Invisible Man", "Nom de Plume" and "False Alias" plus many straight adult titles. I was also a stunt rider in movies like "On Any Sunday" and "Dust to Glory".

When I'm on a busy set surrounded by delicious babes and fast motorcycles, I don't have time for a long lunch or high-falutin dining experience. I need good food, man food, and I need it pronto, Tonto.

So I always send my 19 year-old starlet personal assistant to fetch me a sandwich from the ultimate sandwich creator. Brown Bag Sandwiches. Hey, blondie, go grab me one now!

[scantily-clad "actress" running away from camera, closeup on black KTM thong, strapless to suggest topside nudity]

[hands product to talent]

[talent takes bite]

Fantastic- and healthy, too.

So when you're on a set, a ride, or even in your own backyard, reach for a Brown Bag Sandwich.

[cut to luxurious trailer, camera dollies to stainless sub-zero refrigerator]

[talent opens door, revealing a refrigerator full of product and Pelligrino]

I like them like women- I keep plenty on hand, and I keep them fresh. So, take it from me, Fake Name- they give you what you need!

[fade to black, clients logo, then type "hijack off"]