Crawdaddy

Spring Break - Dirt Bike Style

Morning Crawdaddy,

Glad to hear nothing major with the 520 KTM. And hopefully the water is just from an enthusiastic wash by Jarrett...

Let me know what they find-the mechanic in me is curious.

AS expected, "crap in the carb" was the culprit

Correction:

Picked up the bike after work.......apparently there WAS more going on in that carb than just "gunk"......upon disassembly/inspection R.J. determined the Needle Jet clip somehow broke and/or simply fell off in the upper part of the carb......when that happened the needle dropped out of the slide.....which is why we could get the bike to start in the pilot circuit but then it would immediately die when giving it gas.....I thought it was a contaminant issue but it was the combination of clip/needle......may have had nothing to do with any sort of contaminant (but I'm still getting the inline filters for insurance)........R.J. said the needle was also pretty worn so it may have been rattling around for some time.....as always, many thanks to R.J./Brent and the rest of the crew at All American KTM for diagnosing the problem/ fixing up the bike.........so I can go break it again :blink::lol::o:lol::lol::)

Correction:

Picked up the bike after work.......apparently there WAS more going on in that carb than just "gunk"...as always, many thanks to R.J./Brent and the rest of the crew at All American KTM for diagnosing the problem/ fixing up the bike.........so I can go break it again

Cdaddy...Rj called, he said to save all the "thanks" and just send him a check! :lol:

Cdaddy...Rj called, he said to say all the "thanks" and just send him a check! :lol:

Unfortunately there's some truth in that statement........I was going to ride the bike a couple of weeks ago with Fakey, Slut and Ozzy but noticed the oil STILL looked pretty "milky" through the sight glass even though Jarrett had changed it......change oil (again)/start bike....no change in sight glass......dump oil.....repeat process......no change......hmmmm.....open radiator cap and notice level has gone down a tad..........that can't be good :good: .....water pump seal leakage? :o ......anything else going on in there? :o ......hmmmmm.....time to call in professional assistance.........back to All American went the bike.......full teardown/investigation/evaluation for any damage beyond the suspected seal...........yep, time for top end work.......shot rings, intake valves, etc........not THAT surprising since the engine has a lot of hours on it but nobody wants to hear that sort of diagnosis when we all have other bills to pay......luckily my mechanic is also my friend and he'll take good care of me/my bike..........soooooooo, oh-well & boo-hoo :o .....such is life/time to move on/suck it up.........nobody said this was a cheap way to have some fun with your family/buddies :ph34r: .......time to head out into the garage again with the digital camera......need to move a few more things on E-Bay to finance my motorcycle hobby :o:):lol::D

Are you willing to post your GPS tracks? I would love to do that ride!

I know I'm a bit late in the response to this ride... and it's recap....

But it sure is some lovely scenery!!!

... and again, I see Samir... boy, he gets around. :lol:

I've heard of rides to Bar10 more and more this past couple of years.

I see mostly roads, or as you guys say... "doable on the big bikes".

Is there some tight stuff, technical (but not bike breaking), and less road type tracks to get you there?

... anyone know??

I'd be interested to join, or setup a week to ride that area. But I'm afraid, my ride partners would get a bit bored with the sights and long roads... and I'd have to hear about it on the long ride home.

I'd be really interested to know more.

Anyone with links, info, or something to share?

:o

I'm sure you could find some tougher stuff on the way out if you took a different route, but the route BBTR uses on the way in is pretty easy. The ride out has some harder stuff between Bar10 and the Trumbull School House which is kinda tricky but fun if you stay moving. We did it on the big bikes with a little effort and staying on the juice.

I know I'm a bit late in the response to this ride... and it's recap....

But it sure is some lovely scenery!!!

... and again, I see Samir... boy, he gets around. :P

I've heard of rides to Bar10 more and more this past couple of years.

I see mostly roads, or as you guys say... "doable on the big bikes".

Is there some tight stuff, technical (but not bike breaking), and less road type tracks to get you there?

... anyone know??

I'd be interested to join, or setup a week to ride that area. But I'm afraid, my ride partners would get a bit bored with the sights and long roads... and I'd have to hear about it on the long ride home.

I'd be really interested to know more.

Anyone with links, info, or something to share?

:)

I live in the area part time-commute back and forth between Page and SD. The thing that you need to remember about the Arizona Strip, Southern Utah and surrounding areas is that it is mostly Federal land, (National Parks, Recreation Areas, National Forests Etc.). It has street legal only restrictions on many primitive roads. It is not unusual to come across a sign in what seems to be in the middle of nowhere stating "Street Legal Vehicles Only Beyond This Point" My experience is that it is best suited for the Adventure Rider interested in scenic and remote adventure riding. You can find technical areas but the best technical riding will be in designated areas like that area's version of Ocotillo Wells. Areas like Coral Pink Sand Dunes north of Kanab.

I am sure I will get plenty of argument from my colleagues, but that's SDAR. ;)

Don

If you want technical where was it the moab ride those guys went on the 5 miles of hell or something

If you want technical where was it the moab ride those guys went on the 5 miles of hell or something

That will definitely do it but it is on the East side of the state.

... not sure if I mentioned, my CRF450X is plated and street legal.

And I have a buddy who's done the "

(pt.1 of 4) and will show me the way.

... I know his skill level, as he's

and free-rode
with me.

Thanks for the info thus far!

Hey Johnny,

I did the 5MoH ride a month ago or so - on Gas Gas, not the Husky though.

Bit of work on a 450x, but doable. Let me know how it goes if you try it.

I'd like to get back out there this fall after it cools back down, or in the spring before it gets too hot. It was 90 or so the day we did it.

On the trials bike, the deep sand between some of the sections was almost worse than the technical bits. That and the darn boring ride back to the staging area after you complete the 5MoH.

Here's a link to Gerry, a fellow from Vancouver BC who met us out there, riding down then back up one technical bit . . .

If you look under other videos from RideGasGas (me), you'll see the Husky jumping the Golden Crack. I was scared silly the first time - Airtime I'm not :P

Hey Johnny,

I did the 5MoH ride a month ago or so - on Gas Gas, not the Husky though.

Bit of work on a 450x, but doable. Let me know how it goes if you try it.

I'd like to get back out there this fall after it cools back down, or in the spring before it gets too hot. It was 90 or so the day we did it.

On the trials bike, the deep sand between some of the sections was almost worse than the technical bits. That and the darn boring ride back to the staging area after you complete the 5MoH.

Here's a link to Gerry, a fellow from Vancouver BC who met us out there, riding down then back up one technical bit . . .

If you look under other videos from RideGasGas (me), you'll see the Husky jumping the Golden Crack. I was scared silly the first time - Airtime I'm not :)

Hey Daryl!

This must be you? on that lovely white TE and Clarke tanked 510 !!

... the 450X can handle it, just need to gear her down a bit and Go'fer it! ;)

BTW- if you check out the vids of Geralds, linked in my post... he has 4 parts of the ride on a 450X.

Uhm, :) did you ever get the VIN taken care of?! I'm such an ***, I forgot until I saw your name on here! :P

Nope, still need the docs.

To give you an idea, even with a 13 T countershaft sprocket, 4th gear on the Gas Gas is still lower than 1st gear on the Husky <_< and I used mostly 2nd and 3rd gear on the technical bits and occasionally 1st.

Don't think I'll ever be in good enough shape to manhandle a full sized bike like the Husky through there as I was pretty darn whipped doing it on the trials bike.

I'm looking forward to going back - once I've dropped 20 lbs and spent some quality time at the gym ;)

I'm looking forward to going back - once I've dropped 20 lbs and spent some quality time at the gym ;)

So your never going back?!?! :blink: ..... <_<

... email sent on the papeles!