Beezzz

My green blood is turning orange

HELP!

I bought a 2002 KTM dual sport 520 exc 6 speed.

I need advise on how to finish setup of this bike for dual sport.

Current configuration:

Electrical

- no brake light hardware

- small front and rear blinkers that do not work

- headlight with low and high beem (low beem is useless)

- control cluster is behind headlight

- license plate is under back fender

- should I add a key/lock?

Motor

- starts fine

- cold motor idles rough and dies

- warm motor idles but not smooth like a street bike

- with warm engine, at idle, a snap of the throttle will kill engine (I need to fix this)

- tons of power

Last owner "Doug" in Alpine, does'nt know of the last time it had a valve adjustment. Says he had a tune up a year ago. What are the signs of a valve adjustment is due? I don't want to blow the thing up. I have never owned a four stroke.

Any ideas?

Shop recommendations?

The last owner used Mike Tripes for years.

I don't know what to do with this much power and 6 gears?

HELP!,

Beezzz

"250 two stroker - red sticker guy"

beezzz; i am far from an expert, but I would guess a main jet is clogged (regarding the engine) a "tune-up" would include valve adjust...

Assuming it has switches to activate the brake lights, I would work on that first... signals B) ... uh.... yeah.... EVERYBODY has those and EVERYBODY uses them.

I wouldn't worry about the license plate placement unless a LEO tells you otherwise... I LOVE my edge light and plate bracket, and it draws very little power. I also wouldn't worry about the weak headlight... unless you plan on a lot of night rides... fakey can set you up with the HOT set-up (sunburn on my neck riding in front of him), but I'm sure he has budget options that he is aware of for mere mortals...

don't bother with a key... carry a padlock and a cable if you will be out of sight of the bike for any length of time...

congrats! I am busy this weekend, but will run over with the kids, and take a look... 4 strokes are more complex, but less finicky (in my experience)

Valve adjustment is first. While the bike is apart, pull the carb off and start taking it apart and cleaning it. It's poosible the fuel has varnished or left deposits in the jets. The accelerator pump may be on the fritz and would explain why the engine dies when you whack the throttle open. Check and clean/replace the air filter. Check electrical connections in the ignition wiring. Replace the spark plug and possibly the spark plug boot. I would go in that order.

As far as the wiring, and lights, well just start checking for wires, you may need to run wires for the tail lights. There are also some issues or something that KTMs have with electrics. Another KTM owner could tell you more than me.

Good luck and congrats on the new bike.

Jon

Congrats Beeez! Pulled the trigger....good job!

I don't have any suggestions past those mentioned other than sell another bike and drop yours off at All American in Ramona (based on the reviews here).

First thing:

Get yer booty over to www.ktmtalk.com and start reading all the pinned topics. KTMTalk is a website surpassed only by SDAR. THere is everything you need to know about KTMs there, including videos of how to adjust valves (although I disagree with their methods), how to set up a carb, electrical diagrams, etc, etc.

The particulars: I've replaced my turn signals with Armstrong Signals, and yet to get a ticket, but I ride the street rarely. My bike, as outfitted by Baja Designs, has only a rear brakelight switch, and I make a habit of using it whenever slowing down.

Headlights are for show and law, not for actually lighting anything.

Keys and locks are for street bikes.

I'd use the Baja Designs rear fender for a tail light and license plate mount. A well-mounted plate suggests compliance with law enforcement- less attention = better.

The 02 520 is a great bike, second only to the '03 ; )

p

HELP!

I bought a 2002 KTM dual sport 520 exc 6 speed.

HELP!,

Beezzz

"250 two stroker - red sticker guy"

Come back to the light Luke, resist the dark side. Oh wait too late! Enjoy your orange. Remember fruit is good for you. B)

Thanks for ALL THE GREAT ADVISE!

It amazes me that within minutes you can receive tons of help.

Thanks. Thanks. Thanks.

I will keep you posted,

Beezzz

KLRogers,

How is it going with your Beta 525 and your TE 610?

Are they living up to the dream?

Beezzz

congrats on the bike.

accelerator pump and idle setting are causing the bog.

That carb is for streetbikes. In 03 they got the newer style FCR carb (better carb).

adjust valves and pull the carb. Check for cracks on the vaccume plate. Then pull the bottom of the carb off and pull out the acc pump diaphram. It will be full of dirt (it gets through the little rubber boot on the acc pump rod. Clean it. Make sure your acc pump shoots for 2 seconds when you wack the throttle.

Turn your idle up (higher than you think it needs to be) the auto decompressor does funny things to throttle response below 1800 rpm.

Red Locktite the nut on the auto decompressor on your cam gear, in 03 they got welded on. Too many grenaded motors. My wife has the same bike, we done all the fixes to hers.

let me know if you want help.

KLRogers,

How is it going with your Beta 525 and your TE 610?

Are they living up to the dream?

Beezzz

Uh, I'm guessing you don't speak spanish. Not that I'm great at it myself but lets see if I have it right. Esta Muerto = is dead. mi TE 610 esta muerto = my TE 610 is dead

I'm riding the Beta with Pasta boy tomorrow so we will see how that goes.

mebbe

Hey! I still owe you some paperwork on that truck... let me know.

Don't go comitting any bank robberies with it in the meantime.

The 02 520 is a great bike, second only to the '03 ; )

I thought all the motors from 2000 to 07 are the same RFS.

I don't have a KTM but my buddy just had his 03 525 rebuilt at the KTM shop in Ramona and had really good things to say about them.

Well, the 03 KTM 525 is the best motorcycle ever built. Nothing comes close to the power, grace and beauty of the 03. Not only mechanically superior in every way, the 03 is more like a sculpture than a motorcycle. Owners of an 03 KTM 525 are known for their excellent taste in motorcycles, and everything else they appreciate. They operate at a level of aesthetic significantly higher than the norm. Yes, the 03 KTM 525 is more than a motorcycle, it's a statement, a testimonial of all that is mechanically perfect in the world.

The 02 520 is a great bike.......

Couldn't have said it better myself B)B)

I've had a lot of fun with my 02 520 and the 02 400 I used to own.....though I think I may have to invite Spaugh over for a maintenance day B)B)B)

Lot's of good advice in above threads.....sounds like your new/used ride has a case of "Garage rot" .....hopefully it just needs to be cleaned/ridden......have fun!

Well, the 03 KTM 525 is the best motorcycle ever built. Nothing comes close to the power, grace and beauty of the 03. Not only mechanically superior in every way, the 03 is more like a sculpture than a motorcycle. Owners of an 03 KTM 525 are known for their excellent taste in motorcycles, and everything else they appreciate. They operate at a level of aesthetic significantly higher than the norm. Yes, the 03 KTM 525 is more than a motorcycle, it's a statement, a testimonial of all that is mechanically perfect in the world.

Easy there cowboy... Its just a bike

.though I think I may have to invite Spaugh over for a maintenance day B)B)B)

sorry for tech post. :( Just got done doing the head on brianas bike a couple months ago after the cam chain broke because the decompressor nut came off during a ride. That was expensive. Soon after that, her carb broke. KTM figured out people were having the problems and fixed the boo boos in 2003. Welded decomp nut and a new carb. The motors are very reliable with the fixes but without B)

I'm open to helping do the upgrades for you guys with 02s that don't have them. I'm a big microbrew fan. B) A 7$ gasket, 5$ updated plastic screen, some 3bond, red locktite and a few hours of cursing, and you can sleep easy.

I'm open to helping do the upgrades for you guys with 02s that don't have them. I'm a big microbrew fan. B) A 7$ gasket, 5$ updated plastic screen, some 3bond, red locktite and a few hours of cursing, and you can sleep easy.

I have the factory chain breaker, peening tool for the cam chain and the flywheel puller if anyone needs to borrow it.

That quote is pretty accurate. You need to check the valves first and ktmtalk.com is the best for any technical knowledge as already said. Bring it out to gunners maintenence day and we can get it dialed in. B)

A 7$ gasket, 5$ updated plastic screen, some 3bond, red locktite and a few hours of cursing, and you can sleep easy.

What the detail on the

1. $5 updated plastic screen

2. some 3bond.

I want to take a list to Mike Tripes.

Beezzz

A 7$ gasket, 5$ updated plastic screen, some 3bond, red locktite and a few hours of cursing, and you can sleep easy.

What the detail on the

1. $5 updated plastic screen

2. some 3bond.

I want to take a list to Mike Tripes.

Beezzz

if that dude knows the rfs, he'll know what needs to be done.