DigDug

Pine Valley / Corral Canyon

Well, I think I finished my first geek project (Crawdaddy, you should be proud!!!). Mickey and I rode all of the trails at Corral Canyon and created tracks for them! I'm not the king of this stuff, so hopefully it turns out.

These are all the LEGAL trails from Pine Valley all the way down to the Corral Canyon OHV area - including Spur Meadow and the Espinoza loop.

Here's the overview of everything:

Forest Service Map:

corralcanyon20051.gif

Tracks:

overviewmapmedium.png

Here's the detailed view of just the Corral Canyon area:

Forest Service Map:

corralcanyon20052.gif

Tracks:

ohvareamapmedium.png

In all we had a BLAST! It was fun working our way through every single trail on the map (and coming across a few that weren't ;) Many of which are a BLAST!!! - That is if someone were to ride them).

As usual, download the attached "Corral Canyon Trails.txt" then rename it to "Corral Canyon Trails.gdb" so it will open in MapSource.

I divided the tracks up into each route on the map. That leaves a total of 16 tracks, and I only had to filter down the Espinosa trail in order to get it under the 500 point maximum. Although it's a little hard to distinguish one trail from another, I color coded them based on published difficulty:

Dark Green - Fire Road

Green - Easy

Blue - Moderate

Black - Difficult

Let me know what you think???

TRIVIA QUESTION

Oh, and by the way, I've seen a few people post here that they've ridden all of the trails in the area. Can anybody tell me where this one is???

p3080024o.jpg

p3080027w.jpg

Have fun!!!

Corral_Canyon_Trails.gdb.txt

I heard you guys on the radio a bunch, but you couldn't hear me till I got to 4 Corners. At one point I heard, "Why you going so fast Mickey? I can't take any pics if we don't slow down!"

...or something along those lines ;)

Well, I think I finished my first geek project (Crawdaddy, you should be proud!!!).

WOW - Nice Work! ;):) This'll be really helpful to our members who head out that way - THANKS DOUG.

WOW - Nice Work! ;):) This'll be really helpful to our members who head out that way - THANKS DOUG.

Hopefully it will. Some of the trails out there are a little confusing to follow - Like the mess south of 4-Corners. I'm not sure whether the tracks will help or contribute to the confusion. Someone will have to give it a shot and let me know.

Oh, and thanks for the tracks Chris and Jeff - We wound up not using them because part of the challenge was for us to personally ride every trail out there. I'm glad we did, there was some fun stuff.

Does anybody know the status of the unmapped, but marked trail that cuts off from trail 1? It starts at the intersection of 1 and 2, climbs a cool rocky section, parallels then crosses trail 1. It's not mapped, but it is marked. As you ride north on trail 1, there's an "intersection ahead" sign and if you look to your right up the trail, it's marked as an intermediate trail but no trail number. We figured that since it was marked, it was legal, so we followed it. It starts of well ridden but quickly deteriorates. Fun little trail, but is it really a legal trail since it's not mapped?

Here's my best attempt to hand draw it in on the map. It's drawn in dark blue...

ccunmappedtrail.gif

I believe that's the Racerbill Singletrack.

p

Nice work, thanks. Yet another benefit to- and for- the SDAR community.

Thanks Doug,

As I've been getting more rides in at PV/CC I've been trying to piece the tracks all together. Looks like it's been done for me.

WOW - Nice Work! B)B) This'll be really helpful to our members who head out that way - THANKS DOUG.

Hopefully it will. Some of the trails out there are a little confusing to follow - Like the mess south of 4-Corners. I'm not sure whether the tracks will help or contribute to the confusion. Someone will have to give it a shot and let me know.

Oh, and thanks for the tracks Chris and Jeff - We wound up not using them because part of the challenge was for us to personally ride every trail out there. I'm glad we did, there was some fun stuff.

Does anybody know the status of the unmapped, but marked trail that cuts off from trail 1? It starts at the intersection of 1 and 2, climbs a cool rocky section, parallels then crosses trail 1. It's not mapped, but it is marked. As you ride north on trail 1, there's an "intersection ahead" sign and if you look to your right up the trail, it's marked as an intermediate trail but no trail number. We figured that since it was marked, it was legal, so we followed it. It starts of well ridden but quickly deteriorates. Fun little trail, but is it really a legal trail since it's not mapped?

Here's my best attempt to hand draw it in on the map. It's drawn in dark blue...

ccunmappedtrail.gif

that looks like a combination of rogue singletrack, bill's singletrack and a bit of wrangler...

that looks like a combination of rogue singletrack, bill's singletrack and a bit of wrangler...

I always thought it was rogue, but like I said, it is signed. As you're going north on trail 1, right where it crosses the line I drew, there's an "intersection ahead" sign. Then there's a blue square sign as you turn right onto the drawn in trail. Regardless, it's a load of fun.

No guesses from any Corral Canyon/Pine Valley experts on the pictured, trivia question, trail?

Here's a few more pictures to help...

p3080030.jpg

p3080032g.jpg

p3080036r.jpg

I have not been on the last few trails I see there in the photos. Looks tough.

The first track (the blue, tacky, hand drawn one B) ) is THIS one

ccOV.bmp

right? It's not on the maps, and at one point was fenced off... Ranger said it was rogue down near the bottom. It is actually a pretty fun trail coming up those rocks.

As far as the other one... never seen it... I would guess it's off trail 8?

ccOV.bmp

The first track (the blue, tacky, hand drawn one :huh: ) is THIS one

right? It's not on the maps, and at one point was fenced off... Ranger said it was rogue down near the bottom. It is actually a pretty fun trail coming up those rocks.

Tacky!!! What are you trying to say???

I don't have a GPS track because I didn't ride it - you know I wouldn't ride an "illegal" trail!!! B)

As far as the other one... never seen it... I would guess it's off trail 8?

Oh.. Come on Mr Corral Canyon - for a guy that says he's ridden every trail in the area you should know which one that is...

Actually I thought I'd ridden all the trails in the area until our little GPS project. That's when I realized I hadn't!

I'll give the answer. Here's Mickey exiting the trail after a rough struggle (that trail kicked his butt a little bit):

p3080041triviaanswer.jpg

That was actually trail #7 - Tombstone - a completely legal/marked/mapped trail. I had never ridden it before. Based on the erosion and brush growth, it doesn't look like it gets much use - probably because it starts above the roughest climb on 3A. At times, we were wondering if we were even on the trail at all!!! We first tried to find it from the Trail 6 side, but I couldn't find the entrance (It's there, I guess we just missed it twice). We went to the campground and up 3A to the turnoff - then rode it in that direction (Uphill - definitely the harder direction!!!).

I'm definitely NOT Mr Corral Canyon... I can think of 5 people here that know tha area MUCH better than I do... in fact, because I generally go by myself, I ride the same few trails, where I KNOW I won't get hit, or air lifted.

Never been on trail 7... I hate 3A... I've ridden it now 3 times, if only to keep my humility.

3a is quite the problem, a bit of a puzzle. But, just look carefully, there is always rocks placed in the easy combinations.

That was actually trail #7 - Tombstone - a completely legal/marked/mapped trail. I had never ridden it before. Based on the erosion and brush growth, it doesn't look like it gets much use - probably because it starts above the roughest climb on 3A. At times, we were wondering if we were even on the trail at all!!! We first tried to find it from the Trail 6 side, but I couldn't find the entrance (It's there, I guess we just missed it twice). We went to the campground and up 3A to the turnoff - then rode it in that direction (Uphill - definitely the harder direction!!!).

Yikes! No wonder I didn't recognize it. I haven't been on that trail since the early 90s. It was closed for a while in about 2004 or so, I remember because of erosion damage.

Yikes! No wonder I didn't recognize it. I haven't been on that trail since the early 90s. It was closed for a while in about 2004 or so, I remember because of erosion damage.

There is quite a bit of erosion on the trail as you can see from the pictures. I think if a few more riders hit it, it'll smooth some of the stuff out. It probably wouldn't be too bad if you did it from trail 6 backwards to 3A. It'd be downhill most of the way (except for the last little climb up to 3A - which might be a little rough).

I have to say though - it was a fun little trail and we will be going back!!!

great post have not been up there for a while, thanks for all the maps, looks like some good stuff (new or forgotten maybe?) need to go on weekday morn soon before too much heat. Thanks for the post. (new SDAR trail?? where might that one be?? can I poach it??)RN

PS black diamonds aside 3A for example (I love the ugly stuff, as some of you know)

My fave trail there is still 4, that one is short but has a great flow both directions and has those trees/water crossings and mixed terrain, its like a perfect special test.

Robert... if you are available Monday, let me know... I might be able to go out there again

Taking the family out there this weekend. Thanks for the tracks!

Is the new SDAR trail open for business yet? If so, how do I find it? Has anyone "gps'ed" it or drawn it on a map?

Is the new SDAR trail open for business yet? If so, how do I find it? Has anyone "gps'ed" it or drawn it on a map?

PM sent

To me? I don't have one. :blink:

PM sent

To me? I don't have one. :blink:

PM sent

1...2...3....4.... NOW you have one

great post have not been up there for a while, thanks for all the maps, looks like some good stuff (new or forgotten maybe?) need to go on weekday morn soon before too much heat. Thanks for the post. (new SDAR trail?? where might that one be?? can I poach it??)RN

PS black diamonds aside 3A for example (I love the ugly stuff, as some of you know)

My fave trail there is still 4, that one is short but has a great flow both directions and has those trees/water crossings and mixed terrain, its like a perfect special test.

Agreed robert, Trail 4 is one of my favorites also, as you say a nice special test, you will like the new single track I think, get out there monday for some fun?

Trail 7 - hmmmm - not sure I ever rode that one - need to try the new trail too since I have a small stock tank on my 400 EXC

Track file updated to include the new singletrack - Ranger