Round 3: March 15 2009

Superstition OHVA, El Centro, Calif.

Kirk Hester

Roadrunner Off-Road Racing

(760) 275-9852

captain@dc.rr.com

groups.msn.com/RoadRunnerOffRoadRacing

anyone in?

Ill be there. I have to finish this year. Two years in a row dnf with clutch issues.

This is a tough race for sure.

But, I did have fun when I raced it. I cherish my win in 2005 in the women's class because I had to work so hard for it : ;)

Me and the boy will be down there Saturday morning. Anyone else going to make it out?

Sun morn early for sign ups. Pie plate, Nat Sen B.

L1 was super dez fast (me not dez fast) L2 was a tough one,, got through it ok (not fast but steady) and unofficial finished 200th OA......L2 lots of tough sections of climbs (did all choice 1 climbs) descents and super rocky canyons, hope all made through with no issues, R

L1 was super dez fast (me not dez fast) L2 was a tough one,, got through it ok (not fast but steady) and unofficial finished 200th OA......L2 lots of tough sections of climbs (did all choice 1 climbs) descents and super rocky canyons, hope all made through with no issues, R

using the wife's pc

WOW!! Good work Robert!!!!! I'm surprized you are posting after that! I had a crap start, ran into some stalled out guy coming out of a hairpin wash exit and went over the bars, stalled on a silt hill had to push for a second. Got through the rough stuff and nailed the next 30 miles in 6th and passed about 6-7 people and started making a comeback. My lats are sore and I got major arm pump from holding the throttle open on the last half of L1. Made it back to the pits and felt sorry for you guys on L2. Good working making it through the second loop. I went and rode another 20 miles looking for a cool place to watch L2 and never found it after I finished.

I rode a buddies 250 after the race for a while and really liked the power and light weight. It had me wondering what I was thinking throwing around my beast of a bike. When I turn 30 and can race vet, I'm buying a 300EXC.

I took off before tree finished. Hopefully he is OK. One of the guys in OTB dnf'd and tore his rotator cup on L2. :lol:

Can't wait for the videos and photos to come out.

Let us know how it went tree!

brad

3358490569_d980fa1e37_o.jpg

I watched some folks on the high speed sand canyon transition to the steep, sandy, rocky, off camber hill. The turn into the hill gave 'em about 100 feet of "pick a line and hit the gas" time....not easy. Just that hill alone was work.

Hope all went well for those who raced. Spaugh told me I'd catch the bug and race next year...evidently he missed the "No Trophies" on my Tugger.... :drinks:

Thats the "hare" in the hare and hound,,usually the fastest guy in the hosting club,,,,he hauls arrrse down the bomb and then the flag drops and the hounds chase him down!!

all of my Husky bros have appeared to have great finishes,,,especially the CR125s (D37 100sMC) duo of Father and son Ajax auto team at the tip of the spear in their respective classes,,,,Yes they both ride bone stock CR125 Husqvarnas with only suspension work on them.

I was mostly out of my element (comfort level) out there and actually dropped out of 6th and cruised 5th in most of the long washes (too fast for my taste), the sand and silt was also tough on my plush enduro suspended machine

Anyone know who the photo crew was out there???

Beau all ready edited his vid minus the finsh as he had an issue with his truck, see below just one short section

http://promoto.tv/

tnt race photos

dirtfocus.com will probably have pics later unless they were in mexico.

still haven't heard from tree about how he and the rest of OTB did. Are you alive dude?

Rob, I guess the husky guys worked it! But whats up with grown men racing the desert on 125s? That sand has got to suck on a 125.

I saw some other tall gentlemen on a husky like yours and waved him down but it wasn't you. I looked for you at the start but didn't see you. I guess you were on the right hand side of the line?

tnt race photos

still haven't heard from tree about how he and the rest of OTB did. Are you alive dude?

Rob, I guess the husky guys worked it! But whats up with grown men racing the desert on 125s? That sand has got to suck on a 125.

I saw some other tall gentlemen on a husky like yours and waved him down but it wasn't you. I looked for you at the start but didn't see you. I guess you were on the right hand side of the line?

I'm here. Still recovering from the race. Unfortunatlly, I did not finish. I made it past check 7 were the sweep rider caught up to me. I was not in good shape my arms and legs were cramping up so on his advice I took the pole line road back to the pits. I'm still a little bummed and keep wondering how the last 15 miles were and if I could have made it. :lol:

tnt race photos

I'm here. Still recovering from the race. Unfortunatlly, I did not finish. I made it past check 7 were the sweep rider caught up to me. I was not in good shape my arms and legs were cramping up so on his advice I took the pole line road back to the pits. I'm still a little bummed and keep wondering how the last 15 miles were and if I could have made it. :lol:

don't feel bad, I got back to the pits and steve was gearing up to go for loop 2 and I was thinking to myself I don't know how I could go do another loop especially a harder loop. The first 30 miles of L1 were hard enough.

bbrrkingtjimg_1538.jpg

thanks...form form form,,,elbows up!!!! lean into the bars!!!

The dad of the Husky 125 crew is holding the AMA H&H #1 plate for the 2008 season in the 50A (expert class ) a real desert racer and the only guy in his class on a 125,,, his son may have won his class at this event.

I think over to the right on line 2,, I was almost directly behind the Pearson cousins, Burson was a little to my forward right and Destry was about 60 feet over to my forward right on line 1

any more d38 races for you robert? theres another out at superstition\dip the following weekend.

Brad,

Nope, way out of my element and comfort zone (and my bike's set up), the challenge is always great, that is what motivated me. But I really did not enjoy that race/ride, I like slower speeds and tight single track punctuated with very technical sections East Coast/Euro/Tecate style enduro/XC riding (as you know). However I love to participate rather than watch so I have another bucket list item scratched!!!

My salute to the RoadRunner's MC for putting it together and I was there to support their efforts and the AMA H&H series.

I am satisfied that I met the challenge and finished, but my local (D38)Dez race days are most likely done, they are just not my cup of espresso.

Just for info the Round 1 H&H event (Desert MC), was better for me it was alot more of a one line track through the Johnson Valley area and nowhere near as silty and sandy, that is just my riding opinion, and that is a question of local environment no reflection on the hosting club. Enjoy the ride and always ride inside the (your) envelope! (we all have family and work on monday!!)Rob

Brad,

Nope, way out of my element and comfort zone (and my bike's set up), the challenge is always great, that is what motivated me. But I really did not enjoy that race/ride, I like slower speeds and tight single track punctuated with very technical sections East Coast/Euro/Tecate style enduro/XC riding (as you know). However I love to participate rather than watch so I have another bucket list item scratched!!!

My salute to the RoadRunner's MC for putting it together and I was there to support their efforts and the AMA H&H series.

I am satisfied that I met the challenge and finished, but my local (D38)Dez race days are most likely done, they are just not my cup of espresso.

Just for info the Round 1 H&H event (Desert MC), was better for me it was alot more of a one line track through the Johnson Valley area and nowhere near as silty and sandy, that is just my riding opinion, and that is a question of local environment no reflection on the hosting club. Enjoy the ride and always ride inside the (your) envelope! (we all have family and work on monday!!)Rob

well said. ride in your envelope.

I could do without the silt and endless whoops, but you kinda get used to it oddly. I'm just excited to be able go out there and improve my time\place each time. This one was somewhat of a letdown (although I haven't seen the results), but it is making me that much more anxious for the next one.

I saw your name posted twice on the 40+B list on the AMA site by the way.

Yes, and for me it was a classic,,,there was a guy coming back down off to my left , I just pinned it in 3rd, by the time I was nearing the top I was running out of rpm slipping the clutch and by the time I crested it, still in 3rd I was at about 1 rpm, I should have dropped to second but it was kind of an intimidating monster and I was just along for the ride.

There also was the alt route around to the right and up the ridgeline (not my option).

as for that other canyon on the video I came through the canyon and on the sandy/rocky hill at the end of it I took the line to the right with the zig zag to the left and up about 1/2 way up, (where the guy crashes near the top after making it through) my momentum was off as I was right behind this other guy that was getting pushed by the guy on the hill, I cleared that cleanly as well, without drama.

I got off (fell over/mild crash) on one of the smaller steep rock hills on the back side, I just got offline and plowed into some big rocks, dragged the bike into position rolled back down, took a water break and cleaned it the second time. The toughest section was on the back side coming up this long rocky canyon, I made it cleanly (Dave Knight style)but stopped for breaks @ 4 times on the way up, just to not get too worn out, and I got a little o-heated there, oh yea my bike also steamed twice on that section. made it all no real drama or issues and no injury, good enough!! Where are the results!!!!!!!!!!!!???????

PS I really really like the Michelin AC10 rear,,,,,,,,,its a DS tire!!!! I used the S12 on the front and I am glad I did, but I still like the M12 better overall.

robert, results for your class are posted on ama site. You got 10Th!!

Still waiting on d38 for overall results. I think they have like 2 weeks to get it up.

Just contacted the AMA, they have me twice listed in 2 different lines, looks like I got 3rd in class (21 pts) at our local D38 and wow, along with the H&H round 1 result puts me at around 5th in the Nat 40B class OA. That is about all the points for the year, I am done racing H&Hs but will still do the AMA Western Hare scramble in sept at Glen Helen,,everything else is just fun riding!!