Just wanted to say a quick thanks to Chris and Roger for their great work putting this ride together. Also, a thanks to Wayne for truckpooling with me and getting me home in time to take my wife out to dinner Saturday night. It was a great ride. I enjoyed the ride and meeting all the participants. Decent bunch of guys willing to try to cooperate and makes things work out for everybody. It was nice to put real faces to fake names. Everyone had a great attitude and rolled with the confusion and mild mishaps well. I have about 100 photos which I will try to make available soon.

Don

I have pretty low standards (as evidenced by the company I keep)

Just a 4x5 for the wall in my office; the picture should be fine... Most of you could use a little less definition

Thanks for the offer Paul; hope you're feeling better

So, were all those people from SDAR site ?

Nice turnout, nice ride.

So, were all those people from SDAR site ?

Nice turnout, nice ride.

I counted 3 non-SDAR types.

Randy; you were there in spirit... On the drive home, tntmo and I talked about the fact that we could get 25 guys together, many who had never met in the real world, and all got along so well... All on account of your site

For socalhodaka's sake. It was a tiring, I am sore, I found out a lot about myself and my bike and things I need to work on.

I also had a blast, met a lot of great people, and felt like I learned a bunch that improved my riding ability

One of the biggest issues I have is in confidence and the worry of a high speed crash so on whoops and soft stuff and that goes away to some extent when I can go faster

l_0e2285b1d9b442cf94c64e07b8d15f89.jpg

l_98356ff691a543afb6646ed7af898bfc.jpg

Some of my favorites from Wayne's pictures because I was in them! :lol:

oh yeah; Jason, blonde, Grant on his street bike and everybody else that had to stretch their comfort level... You guys rock!

That sand wash was a bitch, the rocky climb had its challenges, and the mileage was nothing to sneeze at! I was sure happy to jump in the jacuzzi sat night

I like that photo on the dry lake bed, it was a definite photo moment but our group was just having too much fun to stop for a picture.

I passed out pretty quick when I got home last night, but that might be because bikeslut kept talking about politics and world hunger on the ride home...stuff like that.

:lol:

Anybody that knows me KNOWS I was talking bikes, music, trucks or girls... Possibly family or work... Politics... :lol:

I might curse Feinstein... That's about it...

It was a 4" sticker, that looked like this, for those of you that couldn't make it:

xplane-sdar09.jpg

ah x-plane '09.... :lol:

so many memories....so many new friends. :lol: seeing a group ride up, and "WOW, hey guys what's up??" cool feeling.

unbelievable how a group of 24 got along so well....just amazing.(*and NO injuries!!!!! )

i felt so much encouragement, so many "YEAH!!'s"...

stretched some limits(*top speed of my bike 81*indicated :o ), got some quick pucker moments....(*B1 monument "how do you do?"..quick left..well i went straight following the Zeno-Hero!)watched a UFC caliber muscle job by Grantzilla(*Grant's Sandbox)....met a nice guy, roomie for the weekend(*apologize for the snoring...)...went to motoheaven Chapparal...

all in all a fun filled weekend with MANY high points and VERY few low points(*fn's Los Domingos' Revenge...THAT SUCKS buddy....you really troopered out a hell of a trip, i appreciate all you did this weekend as well!!! )

really enjoyed all of it....THANKS X 10~~~0000 to Crawdaddy and Strega for ALL they did(*stickers, room rates, cold cooler on hand...just all the crap that made it so much of a great trip....)

thanks to all and especially the Magnificent 7 who tolerated me!!!

Blind B)

P.S. NOW the bar has been set.....hard to top this one.

Welp, we’re back……Roger and I got home around 7pm tonight

I was sorry to hear about the clutch fiasco :o …..but glad that happened close enough to Barstow to avoid a long/ugly tow…..

Also glad no one got hurt as I’m relatively confident speeds were considerably high in a few stretches :o .....and I know the hardways were a challenge for some of you :lol:

I want to thank everyone for realizing that we’d need to split into multiple groups to have any chance of covering so much terrain……too bad we cut out the X-Plane and Burro Schmidt portions of the ride, but we still managed to cover ~170(?) miles on the day so that’s not too shabby B) ....... good job everyone! :lol:

I didn’t bring a camera since I figured many others would (and I’m lazy) :lol: …..look forward to seeing your photos….

Todd (N2TM), Tracy (Tlking6), Roger (Strega) and I rode about ~50 miles this morning……we headed out on the 08 Barstow to Vegas track then stopped off in Calico for a short walk about…….after that we cut over to a nearby 07 Barstow to Vegas Hardway track……felt a bit overmatched given the bikes we were on and the amount of time we had to work with, so we dropped back to the std route through the hills…….very scenic…….so scenic that I got a front flat (I got caught sightseeing while riding and bashed a rock hard enough to knock one foot of the peg and pinch flat a 3mil front tube! :oB) )…..after the tube change we dropped down to the Mojave River bed and rode a sandy trail back to Barstow……fun morning ride (less the front flat)……still made it back to Barstow by noon so we had time for a quick shower (arranged for 1pm checkout) before heading across the street for lunch at Los Burrito, Tres Fajitas (or whatever that Mexican Restaurant is called) so we could watch the Charger’s game…..we split when the score ran up to 28-10…..in the wrong direction…..

Pretty cool that I had this idea for a ride.........then Roger pitched in/helped out with organization.........and so many of you jumped on board to come out and share in the Adventure........as in "San Diego Adventure Riders"......thanks for joining in on the fun……

Well like all the rest have said, Rodger/Chris thanks for all your hard work. I had a blast...

Tom gearing up out front of the hotel.

1.jpg

On the road...boy can this guy wheelieeeee (you will see in a moment what I am talking about)

2.jpg

More road shoots

3.jpg

See what I'm talking about!

4.jpg

Me (lame I know)

5.jpg

A nice shot of a couple Yami's

6.jpg

This about sums up the weather, the dirt and surrounding area

7.jpg

Kirk hot on my tail follow'd by the rest of the group

8.jpg

I believe this shot was at the rock drawings

9.jpg

Tom on the gas in to Husky Monument!

10.jpg

Kirk on his 690

11.jpg

BikeSlut taking in the moment

12.jpg

Mr Vintage...

13.jpg

Tom Holassss hauling the mail

15.jpg

A shot of us coming up on the dry lake bed

16.jpg

Side shot of me

17.jpg

Tom hot on my tail

18.jpg

All the bikes (plus some) at the ohv parking lot (lunch time)

20.jpg

Are you guys tired or what?

21.jpg

Group One

22.jpg

After getting off course we found this lake

23.jpg

Shaine on his 400

24.jpg

On the way to the solar farm

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

On the dry lake bed

28.jpg

Tom next to me doing 70+ mph

29.jpg

What a day....

30.jpg

The group up ahead

31.jpg

On the way home (Tom up ahead)

32.jpg

Opps some one picked up a nail (10 miles from the Hotel)

33.jpg

The victim...

34.jpg

Road shot

35.jpg

Well guys thanks for everything, the day was a blast...met some great people/riders...thanks again

Aaron

oh and heres a short video of me being stupid

http://www.danwalshracing.com/Dual_Sport/X...ne/P1100046.MOV

Totally great photos there for what looks more and more epic as the posts roll in. :lol:

I would like to add a big thank you to Chris and Rodger for setting up this adventure. Next time I "WILL" make the whole ride, (positive thinking at work).

Kris

If anyone wants a little sticker Icon for their signature, here is the code:

[url="http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3675&hl="][img=http://stregalicious.com/moto/SDAR/rideicons/xplane-sdar09-icon.png][/url]

Thought it might be cool to have a little icon for all the big rides, so people can see what you've done!

Cool. I like it I was thinking about those little icons they used to paint on bombers after you gave us the stickers out there

Randy; you were there in spirit... On the drive home, tntmo and I talked about the fact that we could get 25 guys together, many who had never met in the real world, and all got along so well... All on account of your site

Well thanks man.........while Cam and I may own the site, it was built for everyone else, all of YOU........so it is your site too........that's what it's about :lol:

Strega and Crawdaddy, great ride you guys put on for all :lol: Wish I coulda made it.

For Kelly....newb report.

After a 13 year break from bikes & the dirt, I've been back for 1 1/2 years. This was the longest (by far) I've gone in one day and my backside knew it. The long stretches of sandy fire roads challenged me in the "comfort zone" area as my front end was alternatively grabbing tracks or plowing. I ran the pressure higher than I should have to avoid any pinch flats which I think was the right choice even though handling would have been better.

No pinch flats. I musta center punched a zillion rocks immediately after thinking "don't hit that", adding to my own tire pressure validation. We can discuss self fulfilling prophecy sometime :lol: One came on the rocky uphill which threw me off track for a short lateral movement. I'm still thanking the guy who put the Rekluse clutch on this bike prior to my purchase for the easy restart.

I learned a lot from following more experienced riders and watching their track selection. The weather couldn't have been better and the group, as mentioned, got along great. A successful ride.

Blind "oh look, I've got two Mike's Hard Lemonades. No other Mike's in the room....too bad" :lol: .....soundbite sampling.

Great ride, everyone! Sorry about my disappearing act afterwards- I was sicker than I thought. But I'm on the mend.

Here's the image:

SDARx15sm9054.jpg

If you want copies, you can order them direct from Shutterfly right here.

Great photo Paul.

For those of you who are not yet over 65 years old let this be something you can anticipate for your retirement years. It beats riding around Lawrence Welks' in a golf cart. When you find a bike that fits you stick with it. All 19 of mine fit me well. :)

Don

What a great trip! Thanks a bunch to Chris and Roger for putting this together and to everyone for all the great attitudes and adventureous spirit! I had a blast breaking in my Husky on this trip although the rock infested deep sand uphill wash definitly humbled me on that thing. Thanks has to go out to Bikeslut who was behind me on that section for keeping what he had to have seen,,, to himself!

This site rocks!

Most of my pictures look like everyone elses that have already posted but I do have a couple good ones, and a few from Calico that I will post up tonight.

"Everyone ready to go at 7 sharp!!!! Damn, I'm leaking coolant!"

Hey man, "I" was ready to roll at 7am but my bike was getting impatient ("it" wanted to leave at 6:30) :lol: .....so "it" overheated while I kept my cool :)

(Looks like I got a bit carried away with the whole "top off all fluids" approach before I left San Diego......too bad I forgot to trickle the battery after LA-B-V! :) )

Thanks again to everyone for being ready to roll at 7am on Sat. and being patient with group leaders who were trying to navigate unfamiliar GPS tracks without the added benefit of a roll chart/map.......you had to zoom the GPS screen in to ~800' or so in many sections since so many trail options presented themselves along the way.....I know I turned my group around a few times after I shot off down the wrong trail :o:) .....all part of the fun B)

This ride was exactly what I had hoped for in terms of preparing ALL riders on ANY type of Adventure/dualsport bikes for a long point to point ride requiring GPS navigation.......those of you new to this sort of riding and/or navigating now have a better understanding of what to expect should you decide to sign up for the Desert Dash next month where the first day mileage/terrain will be comparable.......likewise, this ride provided a good taste of what to expect should you ever wish to ride the LA-B-V ride which is held each Thanksgiving weekend.......we covered ~170(?) miles on Sat.....day one of the LA-B-V is usually ~220 miles and covers much of the exact same terrain between LA-Barstow......

Needless to say, the weekend camaraderie was also very satisfying......who would've thought you could throw ~25 internet buddies/knuckleheads/kooks together and have everyone mesh so well :) ......thanks again for coming out to enjoy the ride with me......the taste will only get sweeter as the days pass and you're sitting here in traffic, dealing with work issues, etc., etc.......bet you can already hear the call of wide open spaces saying, "Let's go explore some more trails out in BFE!"......I can't get them out of my head........I'm already thinking about the next ride.... B):)

What a great trip! Thanks a bunch to Chris and Roger for putting this together and to everyone for all the great attitudes and adventureous spirit! I had a blast breaking in my Husky on this trip although the rock infested deep sand uphill wash definitly humbled me on that thing. Thanks has to go out to Bikeslut who was behind me on that section for keeping what he had to have seen,,, to himself!

This site rocks!

Most of my pictures look like everyone elses that have already posted but I do have a couple good ones, and a few from Calico that I will post up tonight.

Tracy; I did see that you were having challenges, but so was I... And I've ridden with you before, and know you're a good rider...

Also; as often as I ride sweep, I get to see a LOT of funny stuff... Your sand wallowing (with the rest of us) doesn't even come close to what I've seen... Or what I've done

......the taste will only get sweeter as the days pass and you're sitting here in traffic, dealing with work issues, etc., etc.......

I second that... Work is pretty busy right now, lots of BS. Doesn't really matter. This sort of ride definitely "centers" you. It's nice to know that I can go solo 2 hours from my house meeting up with people I've only met once, twice or not at all and have such a positive memorable experience. I'm ready for more.

To the poster asking newbies to long rides to post their take. I'm included in that category to a degree. My longest jaunt was about 60-80 miles prior to this ride. I've never gone so fast for so long. I second TrophyHunter's experience with the fast pace over varied terrain. When I got into sandy sections I definitely tensed up a little early on. In part due to my higher tire pressure 17 front, 15 rear. Then, I looked ahead, which happened to typically be "tntmo", and figured if the guy ahead of me could keep his speed up through this, so can I. I did pretty well. I had a little bit of a gap at times but nothing that mattered (at least I don't think it did :)) The Scotts stabilizer helped for sure but I learned how important it was to keep my speed and stay loose. By the end of the day I was way more comfortable. Not exactly sitting on the couch comfortable, but definitely not stressing out. The distance didn't prove to be that much of a factor for me. I stayed hydrated and kept the Cliff Bars rolling so my energy was good. The only taxing section was the deep gravel/deep sand/pebble/rock/boulder wash we went through. I think that was an issue for most though. Just had to deal with it. I got a good reminder from Paul to keep my feet up through it. I'm a tall guy so it's way too easy to tap my feet when I start washing out. Better to manage that with a twist of the wrist. Probably saved me at least a black big toenail.

I'd recommend this ride to anyone who has "some" time in the saddle and can keep a decent pace on fire roads. It wasn't all that technical. A couple of loose climbs. Maybe 1 - 2 loose drops as well. If those same climbs/drops were on a typical back country trail ride, they wouldn't even be mentionable.

On another note. Who let the "Corn Star" up front in the group shot?

corn star=attention whore... He just naturally sought his rightful place up front...

Thanks to whoever photoshopped out the possible offensive pic... Tom has an unaltered version if you ask :)