piratemonkey

Free Garmin instructional video

I have a Garmin instructional video (for the 60 series) that I don't need anymore. This video is extremely basic and won't help you with anything in-depth, but as a starter for a total GPS newbie it's ok. It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-GPSMAP-60CSx-...E/dp/B000LZ59LY

It offered at least a jumping-off point for when I first got my Garmin.

Let me know if you'd like it.

Let me know who else is interested, I'm happy to pass on the love once I've seen it.

Let me know who else is interested, I'm happy to pass on the love once I've seen it.

Dibbs. :) Ken

The narrator wearing khakis totally sounds like a certain pro QB (to me, at least) -- if you're a football guy, tell me if you "recognize" that voice.

The narrator wearing khakis totally sounds like a certain pro QB (to me, at least) -- if you're a football guy, tell me if you "recognize" that voice.

I wouldnt know a sports figure if I was tackled by one. Wrong guy.

Hahhaha! At least you know tackling is involved.

Hahhaha! At least you know tackling is involved.

Damn straight. I know my baseball. How about them Padres, tackled him right on home plate. TOUCHDOWN!

Hoss, PM me your address and I will send it to you.

Pyrate, welcome to the group. As soon as we see that you have not infiltrated the organization just to abscond with this instructional video :angry: I am sure you will be welcome to it. Please post up here,

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showforum=32 and tell us a little about yourself. Look forward to riding with you in the future. Ken

Hello Pyrate,

Since it's my video I'd like Ken to send it to hoss314 since he has more than one post. We might never hear from you again and then no other SDAR member would be able to use it. No disrespect meant; just want to support the community first.

Hello Pyrate,

Since it's my video I'd like Ken to send it to hoss314 since he has more than one post. We might never hear from you again and then no other SDAR member would be able to use it. No disrespect meant; just want to support the community first.

This be my ride. Just returned from Mammoth and Yosemite. Been in SD 17 years now and just getting back to the dirt. From MI originally where even if you had a road bike you had to be ready for dirt and sand or snow at any moment. No worries on the support of the community. I get it. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I didn't realize my notification settings were using two tin cans and a string to advise that someone else had added to this post. Plus - I was out riding last week!

post-13506-1245276114.jpg

Please put me at the bottom of the list. I would love to learn more as the GPS bug has bitten me hard.

Thanks,

Spyder

Hey All

I just bought this same gps unit....so add me to that list....I'm a land surveyor by trade and have used the "big" gps systems, but haven't messed around too much with this one....I've found with toys like this, an hour with a person that knows what their doing is PRICELESS...

Sounds like lots of interest.......

If any of those experts are interested in sharing with the rest of us.....kind of a training BBQ?

I'd offer my house to host and I'll buy the beer....

let me know..d

......a training BBQ?.......I'd offer my house to host and I'll buy the beer....

"in" :lol::unsure::)

If it's the video I'm thinking of it's pretty lame........basic operation/use of the GPS can be covered before the first beer is emptied.......we did this once before at Strega's place......we could certainly do it again......

I'd recommend everyone with GPS questions start here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Scan down/search the forum.....bet you'll find answers to most any/all questions....

Having watched the video, I agree. The video will show basic gps functions, I did learn some from it. The problem is that it is so long between uses that I forget how to do the stuff anyway :unsure: . For me half of gps use is done on the computer anyway. Things like making tracks/routes, connecting tracks/routes, eliminating portions of tracks/routes. Making a track in Google Earth and importing it to your gps. Those are the things that I need to take notes on at at geek night. I hope to make the next one. Ken

Pyrate, welcome to the group. As soon as we see that you have not infiltrated the organization just to abscond with this instructional video B) I am sure you will be welcome to it. Please post up here,

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showforum=32 and tell us a little about yourself. Look forward to riding with you in the future. Ken

Hoss,

If you're finished with this video, and you still have it, I'd like to have a gander at it. I just picked up a 60CSx.

Making a track in Google Earth and importing it to your gps. Those are the things that I need to take notes on at at geek night. I hope to make the next one. Ken

Maybe we can have a "geek night" on a trail that is a hands-on lesson on how to make and follow a GPS track.

OK....Brenden ended up not needing the DVD after all....I still have it....who wants in on the rotation.

Hot Potato!!

Pyrate, welcome to the group. As soon as we see that you have not infiltrated the organization just to abscond with this instructional video :lol: I am sure you will be welcome to it. Please post up here,

Hoss,

If you're finished with this video, and you still have it, I'd like to have a gander at it. I just picked up a 60CSx.

I picked up some video at REI about how to use this GPS. $20. IMO - it sucked. It is an aftermarket company but since REI carried it (they usually have good stuff) I tried it. Basically it was an overview of functions and nothing more.

I have used my gps and prior gps versions for sailing with no issues. My challenge I think is getting the right map software. I am using the Mapsource (?) software that was provided with my unit and it works for main roads but very little for dirt tracks unless I am just missing something. I can find more on my CA atlas than that software. I am not quite understanding it either when you put in a destination and it gives you the bird's route, not an actual route via roads. To give an example, I live in Point Loma, I put in Disneyland just to see what it would show and the 1st 50+ miles were routed through the Pacific Ocean. Maybe I need to see the Garmin version if you think it is more detailed.

I thought I had already posted some info on the nOOb section. I will see if I can find it. Let me know if you think the video really helps what I am trying to do. Thanks!

My challenge I think is getting the right map software.

It's not a challenge....it's just more $$ :lol: - Go buy City Navigator NT software........the software that comes resident in the 60CSx is relatively useless......