ShocknAwe

GPS Mounts

What is the best mount for the Garmin Rino? Thanks.

RAM mounts seem to be the ticket. There should be a mount for the unit you have. Very adjustable to the application and position you want. www.ram-mount.com

I have used them with my old GPS and love them. I am thinking of ordering a drink holder for my even slower rides..

What is the best mount for the Garmin Rino? Thanks.

RAM mounts seem to be the ticket. There should be a mount for the unit you have. Very adjustable to the application and position you want. www.ram-mount.com

+1. Touratech are probably better but they cost like 5 times as much. Ram is the way to go.

I ended up buying the $35 RAM mount, which works well, but sticks out a little. If you like your GPS mounted closer to the bike and not sticking up, the standard mount from Garmin works really well if you also buy the larger diameter clamp.

I also went with the RAM mount. I mounted to the hand guards. I did not like how high up it was when mounted to the handlebars. I think it came out pretty good. I have not ridden with it yet so I am not sure how it will work. I also got the hard wire kit installed:

gpsmount011.jpg

gpsmount009.jpg

I ended up buying the $35 RAM mount, which works well, but sticks out a little. If you like your GPS mounted closer to the bike and not sticking up, the standard mount from Garmin works really well if you also buy the larger diameter clamp.

RAM is the way to go, I've had both......shock isolated is not worth the extra $$ in my opinion (though it is nice to have the optional lock on your Touratech mount.....I had one on my YZ).......regardless of mount, I like the GPS sticking up/out a bit so I can see it without completey eliminating the field of vision in front of me.....makes it vulnerable in a crash but I figure the saftey plus up in the form of better vision/awareness is worth the risk to the unit....my $.02

[

RAM is the way to go, I've had both......shock isolated is not worth the extra $$ in my opinion (though it is nice to have the optional lock on your Touratech mount.....I had one on my YZ).......regardless of mount, I like the GPS sticking up/out a bit so I can see it without completey eliminating the field of vision in front of me.....makes it vulnerable in a crash but I figure the saftey plus up in the form of better vision/awareness is worth the risk to the unit....my $.02

I've riden for 1000's of miles using the Ram mount and having it higher is a big plus when your navigating.

I see RAM getting most of the votes.

I too love, and use RAM.

Shoot... got'em in almost all my vehicles in one way or another.

They do break however.

I've had the mounts break that hold the cradle, and the cradle itself snap in two.

... not from crashing, but severe beating over time.

And it also helps to have a zip tie handy... over the top (see picture)

The toura-tech is a great mount too.

But be sure your not a 'crashing' type. As it has the ability to turn into a guillotine with it's few sharp edges.

Here's one of my RAMs with GPS mounted up.

... I choose the right side, so the brake line doesn't get caught up in the antenna.

DSC07194.jpg

My 60csx launched off the RAM mount today...... somewhere between Pine Valley and the start of Kernan Trail. After hundreds of miles over the past two years it let loose and I even had a zip tie on it for backup. Maybe i'll get extremely lucky and it will be returned to me or when I win the loto im buying another 60csx and going with a different set-up. It has my info and phone number on the start up screen.

I lost a 60CS off a RAM mount before, but fortunately saw the cord dangling out of the corner of my eye and stopped immediately. I found the unit about 20 ft behind me.

The pin on the back had broken off the rear of the case. Even though it was out of warranty Garmin replaced the unit free.

Since then I've put a piece of paper towel behind the GPS to help keep it from vibrating against the mount and also use the tie-wrap trick to help ward off another case of the broken pin.

I have the Baja Designs wiring kit for my lights etc. that was installed on the bike when I bought it.......where are you pulling power from for the hardwire kit used on your GPS?

are you splicing into power for the headlight or?

RAM, zip tie over the top, lanyard around bars to the "loop" next to the antenna.

I lost a 60CS off a RAM mount before.......

My cradle snapped in half in Bass lake this past weekend....well, not "in" the Lake but riding up in the Bass Lake area........zip ties/duct tape saved the day......used it for years with no zip tie......I think it just wore out.....no biggie......

Ram is the way to go.......

I know I've mentioned this before - but if you're going to buy a setup, I STRONGLY recommend the Garmin 76 series over the 60 series. It's the exact same software (menus, etc), same sized screen, but in a different casing. It doesn't have the fragile antenna hanging out there to get hung up on your brake line or snapped off by whatever. It's marketed as a marine model, and floats (it's also waterproof - like the 60). Best of all - the Ram mount is TOTALLY BULLET PROOF!!! It doesn't rely on that little screw on the back of the GPS to hold the unit - the Ram cradle completely surrounds the GPS. I've NEVER lost or even had one start to come loose. As a matter of fact, Mickey has looped his bike completely (with my old 76) and broke the ball of the RAM mount, but the cradle didn't let go of the GPS.

They're pretty much the same price - the 76 being a little more expensive because it comes with a bigger memory card (pretty much a waste because most people go and buy a 2 gig card anyways).

I never lost my Garmin Rino 530 with the RAM mount, but did lose it after the second time using the Garmin mount. The plastic mount itself snapped. If I buy another Garmin I will probably just keep it in my vest.

I never lost my Garmin Rino 530 with the RAM mount, but did lose it after the second time using the Garmin mount. The plastic mount itself snapped. If I buy another Garmin I will probably just keep it in my vest.

That sucks. I'm using the plastic mount and just replaced it with a new one as one of the plastic tabs broke on the mating piece. I guess i'll just have to make sure its tethered along with the velcro strap I use to keep it locked in place