husky4me

Buying a GPS, any opinions out there?

I'm thinking about buying the Magellan 500LE color screen Adventure GPS from costco, which is reduced to $179.00 including shipping... I have never had a GPS, any comments.. is this a reasonable price and any recommendations? :o

I don't like the color screens because you can't see them in the sunlight. I like the LCD displays better - easier to see.

Martin, I have a Garmin etrex vista with a LCD display and It too is hard to see in sun light. Larger screen would be better. color might be better, I have never seen a color one in the sun light.

BTW, my garmin was about $250+ with software a while back.

Thank you guys... Most sales people recommend color, but 2wheels has a point.. but now carguy you tell me you have the same problem with blackscreen in the sun? I was thinking about the Magellan explorist 300 (non-color), but I'm going to keep on checking.. I noticed costco's deal for that Magellan 500 LE is not that great of a deal (the LE model does not have recharge capabilities as the regular 500). Walmart advertises the Magellan Explorist 300 for only $126.00 (online, not sure if it's the same in the store).

I have the blue Garmin etrex. I'm not sure which model it is. I didn't get the one with the color display because my cell phone (color), and my camera (color) displays are impossible to see in the sun. Sometimes the GPS display is difficult to see in the sun, but not impossible like my cell phone.

Another consideration is that the color displays suck battery juice faster.

Guest Guest

SDL---paging SDL---- I have come to rely on your technogeekyness (in a good way of course)

I have an explorist 200, but I only use it for the breadcrumb... I am looking to upgrade as well.

I have been researching prices, models etc... I'm all confused now ;) It's interesting how prices vary so much from store to store.. I would not mind paying extra for a better one, but I have never had one, so I have no idea... I was wondering if the Garmin Ryno 530 with radio communication would be worth the price? The explorist 500 color LE is on Costco website on sale for 179.00 but apparently the model LE does not come with re-charge batteires and cord, so the normal one is probably better.. Best Buy website has the explorist 500 for 199.00 or maybe it's better just to put batteries so that you can just take extra on longer rides etc.. www.gps4fun.com says the LE model has the added advantage of a battery clip...

A rechargeable feature would definitely be a plus. A fresh set is required for an all day affair, so batteries can get costly otherwise. A unit that you can download your waypoints and routes into is another good selling point. I have the Megellan 315, black screen, not real sophisticated, can't do the computer thing, but does the job. I've seen the color screens, and they are hard to read sometimes if the sun hits it right or wrong...lol. But you really can't go wrong with any of the compact ones......whatever the budget will allow....my 2 pennies

Rick

SDL---paging SDL---- I have come to rely on your technogeekyness (in a good way of course)

I have an explorist 200, but I only use it for the breadcrumb... I am looking to upgrade as well.

Blue eTrex Legend. 8MB. No street navigation. This would not be a unit to take on a 49 -State tour, but has been great for dirt.

I am of the philosophy that things that hang on a motorcycle can break, and sometimes break badly. I use the cheapest (eTrex), most widely compatible (Garmin), and simplist unit I can get away with. Afterall I may have to replace it so I don't want a $500 unit on my dual-sport.

Mine is primarily for breadcrumbing (recording a track), though I have Garmin Topo loaded (for the county) and use it to follow tracks previously ridden as well. Remember the eTrex product line was designed primarily for hiking.

...and just to complicate things... I think all the little screens are difficult to use (color or b/w)... but the monochrome is especially difficult to decipher the 4 color topo maps. To make matters worse I have a hard time viewing it in low light without reading glasses. ;)

I am kinda of a GPS geek, so here is my take on this.

I have been a Garmin user since their III, then the III+, then the V and now i have the 276c and the eTrex legend.

I have 2 Garmin units and both serve different purposes. However they share the same software and file swapping between the 2 is seemless!

The 276c is a larger color mapping unit that i use in my Landcruiser when i am exploring in Baja or something of that nature. I like it, because it is easy to see and use while "on the fly". I have it hardwired into the truck and run an external antenna. I have all of the maps of Mexico loaded onto it and i check out possible routes on my PC and plot them out and go explore them. I try to run a different trail and explore something new each time i go.

Anyway, the 276c is a larger more expensive unit so I wouldnt even consider putting it on my bike. Plus, because of the color and the large screen it sucks down batteries BIG TIME!

When i got my bike, I wanted something that i could transfer my files from and use with as little effort as possiblein the dirt! I also wanted something cheap in case i crashed i didnt want to be out $500+. I picked up a garmin eTrex legend (in the same cool blue as SANDIEGOLAND) and its PERFECT! You can find them under $100 (if your a savy shopper) and they mount perfectly on the bike.

I agree 100% with SANDIEGOLAND on his statement above. No need to spend anymore $ then you need to on something that might be destroyed in a crash! The eTrex legend is a perfect unit for Dual Sporting in my opinion!

Garmin sells a kickass handlebar mount kit that works great and somewhat protects it if i crash! I have about 500 hard miles on my bike with the GPS mounted in the position shown below and the mount holds it like glue and it easily clips off!

Here is a pic of my unit mounted onto the bike. It is well protected and easy to see!

Posted Image

So, i have most of my files in both units and swap and update them if i get new info (track on my bike or cool waypoints in my truck, etc....)from another unit.

SANDIEGOLAND on here, has a bunch of .gpx files on his site that i downloaded into my PC and have been checking them out. Once i tweak them a bit and add some more detail, i can easily add them to my little etrex (or the 276c) and head out.

I run both the 276c and eTrex with the Mapsource software and most of the trails we have run so far have shown up as such!

What sets Garmin apart from all of the others is their software!!!

Their software is hand down far superior to the others!

Also, their accesories. They have MASSIVE amounts of accesories for each unit they sell (handlebar mounts, hardwire kits, etc.....) Speaking of which, i need to hardwire my eTrex to my L eventually!

On the dicussions of which ones are easiest to see, the salesman (or woman) that told you color is dead wrong!! I have been using these for years and the LCD screens (WITH THE BACKLIGHT OFF!!!) are perfectly visible and almost all conditions! Also, the eTex with the backlight off will run for almost 24 hours on 2 double AA's. If you put the backlight on, it sucks them down with the quickness!

I recently saw a nice eTrex go on ebay for $69 and almost picked it up as a spare for my truck!

Here is a link to the eTrex for more info

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/

They also make several variations of it and one thing i would like in mine is the option of upgradeable memory. I think the VISTA has it, but its quite a bit more!

Personally, i would stay far away from Magellan!

Any questions, feel free.

Here is a pic of my unit mounted onto the bike.  It is well protected and easy to see!

I use the RAM mount. With the bike mount some folks have trouble with the eTRex model shutting off from off-road vibration when you are on batteries. There have also been a few cases of people losing them with the bike mount, altough it is hard to imagine how... :D

SANDIEGOLAND on here, has a bunch of .gpx files on his site that i downloaded into my PC and have been checking them out. 

Too kind. I need to update some of those. That was from a project to help test that website for the developer. We are continuously collecting and trading tracks by email too... B)

Thanks to all who gave me their opinons! I finally purchased the Garmin Etrex Venture Cx... (with $50.00 rebate) I bought it online, so will se how it works out once I get it.... Got the color because the website said "sunlight readable display." Hopefully it's true.....

Thanks!! :angry:

With the bike mount some folks have trouble with the eTRex model shutting off from off-road vibration when you are on batteries.

Yes, i had that problem, very simple fix was to stuff some tissue in there to take up some of the space, now the batteries cant move and it has been flawless over 800 HARD miles! :angry:

Thanks to all who gave me their opinons!  I finally purchased the Garmin Etrex Venture Cx...  (with $50.00 rebate) I bought it online, so will se how it works out once I get it.... Got the color because the website said "sunlight readable display."  Hopefully it's true.....

Thanks!! :angry:

Congrats and welcome to the world of GPS!

Please post up a report of how you like the Venture CX. I have been comtemplating getting one because it is the smallest unit with expandable memory, but have held back because of color screen and lack of handlebar mount brackets available. I really dig how my Legend sits on the bars and its very easy to use and see like that. If i can mount a venture or vista like that, i will!

I should look into RAM mounts for it!

What are your plans for it?

I have never had a GPS before... so I need to get familiar, probably buy a card and upload more maps, and try it out with SDAR trips... I'll be asking you guys more about it once I get it... the website mentions the bike mount (I think it's also misleading), but it probably does not come with it... any tips are welcome! :angry:

Guest Guest

I finally got my GPS Garmin Etrex Venture Cx! :P I need to play around with it and read the instructions, but so far so good.. I just used it in my car this evening, and it feels so good just to know more or less where you are.. I don't know how I never had one before... The screen is very clear, and with the adjustable backlight, you can see it clearly.. I checked it in the evening sun and it was not too bad.. It comes with a general map, and if you want detail topo or street, then you have to buy the programs which are expensive.. I want to test it with my bike soon... It seems to be a good unit! I have to check for a bike mount now... Thanks to you all who helped me decide!! :P

Opinion:

Agree with the comment about Garmin and Software. Lots of different software out there, but I really like the compatibility of the WorldMap and Topo from MapSource (Garmin).

I've had my eMap (discontinued in 2004ish) for about 7 years. Used it in Japan, Kuwait, Mexico, and all over the states. Smallish screen, crappy connection point for downloads and ext. power, but OTHERWISE it's been semi-bulletproof. I say semi because 3 years ago I wiped out HARD on San Felipe wash (50+mph) and cartwheeled. (I've got pictures of my speedo filled 3/4 with sand!) My eMap was mounted on a RAM mount, middle of the bars. It was STILL there when I finally picked up my bike. The face was scratched, but still readable. I finally called Garmin and they said "Send us the GPS and $99.00 and we'll send ya a new one!" I already had 200+ into it, so maybe I shoulda bought the eTrex, but I bit the bullet and paid. Now using my new one. Still love it.

Vibration is NOT a problem with most of the Garmin's. I also have an eTrex (for wife). Both GPS's have been mounted (on a RAM mount) in my buddies Class I off-road car for testing and racing. ZERO problems. 200 miles of pre-running for the 100. ZERO problems. I love my Garmins.

The RAM mounts ain't cheap, but WELL worth the mula.

www.gpscity.com has really good info and "answers" to loads of questions. They have a couple of test geeks that use everything they sell.

Finally, for converting different types of gps formats to something readable in any gps, go to www.gpsbabel.com and download their free converter. A little goofy, but works like a champ.

Have fun!

Jim

IF YOU STILL SEARCHING, THE EXPLORIST 200( I SEE IT ON WALMART.COM) THEY SELL A PROGRAM THAT CONVERT THE UNIT ON A DRIVE DIRECTIONS GPS ( I DONT KNOW THE RIHT WORD)

IF THIS WORK YOU CAN MAKE YOUR ROUTE AND FOLLOW WITH AUDIBLE MESSAGES FROM THE GPS LIKE THE ROAD UNITS

I BOUGHT A RINO 120, BECAUSE IT SIGNAL WHEN YOUR RIDE BUDDYES ARE IN CASE OF AN UNWANTED EVENT.

I DONT SEE HERE THE GROUP COMUNICATION ON A RIDE LIKE A RELEVANT TOPIC, WE ALL THE TIME USE RADIOS TO BE IN CONTACT, THE RINO TELL YOU WERE THE OTHERS ARE ON A 2 TO 5 MILES RANGE.

HOPE THIS HELP

I have a Garmin 60CSX I just bought. I need to sell my Magellan Platinum Series GPS, I'll sell it cheap, it's hardly been used.

Here is a company you all should support if you're buying GPS stuff. The guy who owns it is a fellow Adventure Rider (not from San Diego).

His Company is Off-Route.com - the factory authorized experts in geocaching, outdoor and automotive satellite navigation.

If I were to buy the garmin venture cx, is there anything else that is a must have to go along with it? I would like to have it for the dash. Don't want to spend any more than necessary right now. Where would be the cheapest to get one?

If I were to buy the garmin venture cx, is there anything else that is a must have to go along with it? I would like to have it for the dash. Don't want to spend any more than necessary right now. Where would be the cheapest to get one?

The cheapest way would be hook up with a riding buddy with a rollchart and GPS.

If not you will need a mount for the unit and some software. I don't know what the venture comes with.

The cheapest way would be hook up with a riding buddy with a rollchart and GPS.

How much do they cost? Can I get software from "buddies" or are they specific to the unit/card?