Sign in to follow this  
Cheff

Big Bear Run What a ride!

What a great ride! We started in Big Bear city at 8am taking the pavement to the trail head. From there it was all dirt, and lots of rocks. At the 9 mile mark I got a flat tire, took 15 min to change the tube and 20 min trying to get the wheel back on. What a pain that was with out the lift. The TrailWing stocker has to go, it is not meant for off road travel at all. I kept a bit more air in it from that point on, but it was slippery. At about 30 mile mark we came up on a steep rocky incline, I had made it up the past 2 but this one was really ugly. I tried 2 times to get the pig up and failed braking my clutch lever on the second try. Another 15 mins and the pig was ready to go for another try. Lucky for me and Jose that some really good riders had caught up to us, they rode both our bikes up this incline as well as the rest of the pack that could not make it up. We stuck with them the rest of the ride, and it was a good thing. At the 35 mile mark there was an even steeper and rockier hill. Again they rode most of the bikes up, there was 8 of us by this time. The trail continued to be very challenging for the rest of the first loop (30 more miles) but I made the rest of the course. ( I need lots more practice on rocky steep terrain) Lunch and Gas was at the end of the first loop 60+ miles in Pioneer town (4 miles from Yucca Valley) We ate lunch and decided it was to late to start the second loop and we were to tired to even try. We let the Sweep team know we were taking the road back, we took the 247 to the 18 and back to Big Bear for a total ridden miles of 147.6 and 8 hours of ride time. This is my version, I am sure Jose will chime in and let us know how much fun he had.The most fun and challenging ride I have ever been on! I cant wait to take the BRP to Mammoth this August for their Run.

Guest JOSE

This ride was a blast; the ride had a lot of single trails, sandy trails, rocky hills and fire roads, which made it a whole new experience in my book.Early on in the ride one of our buddies had to take a bail out road with the sweepers, he was a bit slower then the rest, then at the end of section 3 another rider had two quit and took a bail out road to the main highway, and at the end of section 5 or 6 another rider quit and managed to get a ride in a pickup truck, so 5 of us took the roads back home.I had lots of fun even in those 2 rocky hills we couldn't to climb, but with a little help and a little hiking we were good to go. I truly believe we took a wrong path thru a difficult section early in the ride at sections 2, because neither the sweepers nor the rest of the riders behind us passed us and we took a long time to finish section 2, I’m sure some one would of passed us if we were on the suggested path because later on we were told we should have taken the path that avoids those nasty hills. “Oh well”After lunch Israel and I were anxious to get back to Big Bear knowing we had our wife’s and kids waiting in the pool side or Jacuzzi of our Hotels, my weekend couldn’t have gotten any better.Overall I think we did pretty good considering the terrain we completed and no one got hurt which is the most important, we also learned “never to forget spare tubes, tools and possibly spare levers, and shifters.Cant wait to do it again, and hopefully Israel and I will hook up again for another adventure..

I think that we did the hill that you guys were talking about too.Was it just before the first checkpoint? There was a spot where I think that we confused the directions and climbed a hill that was probably only 80% as tough as the one in the Expert section in the morning loop.When I get home tonight I'll look at the tape and see if I can figure out where that was again and add a post confirming the location.Once I get a copy of the tracks for the GPS, I can load them in to my Topo program and save a map that shows a little of what the profile of the ride we did looks like. I'll post a link to the file on my web site or attach here if I can figure out how to do it.Daryl

Guest JOSE

I you are refering to a hill were you reach the top and you could climb an ugly hill to your right or you could go straight to a downhill then a 'Y', then you are right but Israel knows exactly where it is, he will come out soon and tells us..

Yea that is the hill, after we got done with them ( there is a second one) and not seeing riders coming behind us, we began to wonder. We were right on track on the GPS but we saw no sweepers. I guess the sweepers took and alternate route that was easy. With out those 2 hills the ride would not have been as fun. I cant wait to do it again.Jose don't let me forget I owe you a clutch lever.

Looking back through the strip, I think that the hill was in section 3. I think that we got confused somewhere between the 1.9 mile point and the 3.3 mile point because at the 3.3 mile point I remember that after the hill climb we were looking for the T @ Tree at the top.The first checkpoint was long after.

Guest KTMrad

Hey, cool you guys had a great ride. Sounds like after those tough trails, you're ready for some more action. Anyone available for a ride this weekend ? I've got some exploring I want to do out east off LaPosta Rd and 94, or we could go prerun some stuff up near Anza and Idyllwild for our next organized San Diego Adventure Riders run later this fall. Let me know.