Sign in to follow this  
ranchodeweerdo

Witch Creek Fire lawsuit - OLD

Just past the one year anniversary of the Witch Creek fire. The fire went through our property, and I don't know why we didn't lose the house: an AP video photographer caught the flames as the fire went up creeks on either side of the house. The northern wall looked like it was in the flames. As it was, two homes were lost just to the north and a home was lost on the mountainside above us to the east. Other than heavy smoke damage, our house came through relatively unscathed due to the fortunate presence of a group of volunteer firefighters and a neighbor who pointed them to our property.

The fire did a pretty good job of wiping out the vegetation down to the dirt. Our property contained a number of old-growth oaks. The insurance covered the loss of the trees and shrubs only up to a certain percentage (5%) of the value of the house.

Since the fire, a lawsuit has been filed against SDGE. We're a party to the lawsuit, and just had an appraisal done to determine total loss using the replacement value of each plant. The amount of loss over seven acres is significant, much more than I would have thought.

I know a number of members live in the outlier areas of the county and were affected by either the Witch or the Guejito fires. If you're interested, information on the law firm handling our case can be found at San Diego Fire Victims Lawyers. They are handling the cases on a contingent basis. There are other law firms also actively filing against SDGE.