Sign in to follow this  
Crawdaddy

3 Day Upper Baja Loop

Paged through some "Laying Down Tracks" postings over in ADVRider to see if there was anything to supplement Tree’s Thanksgiving Ride……came across this series of posts w/ tracks/descriptions that might be useful for a future 3 day loop/ride down in Baja starting/ending at Santa Veronica……anyone who used to participate in K.C.’s “Baja GPS Rides” years ago is familiar with Santa Veronica…..good/safe place to stay/eat/leave vehicles before a loop or easy destination to ride to for breakfast from Tecate border crossing before setting out on a ride to Mikes or (?) …..

Veronica – Mikes – Tomas – Veronica Loop – Summary info Post

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235570

Tracks and Descriptions:

Santa Veronica to Mikes Sky Rancho:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235569

Mike’s to Santo Tomas:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235565

Santa Tomas to Santa Veronica:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235566

Thanks Crawdaddy!

I'll keep that for reference until I really learn how to use a GPS.

Very easy to combin'em all into one file.....aw hell, I'll just do it :ph34r::blink:

I put all three tracks in one file, colored them differently, and filtered them down to less than 500 pts each.......also threw in some Baja Waypoints from another file......comments below are from the guy who created the original tracks.

Track 01 - Veronica to Mikes

The track leaves Santa Veronica, goes through Laguna Hanson, El Rayo turnoff to Valle de Trinidad and onto Mikes. This is a well travelled and sometimes well marked route. It leaves the road right outside the Veronica gate on some fun twisty and rocky (almost 2 track due to ATV's) trail, then shortly rejoins the graded dirt road for some miles down to El Compadre Ranch, then hits the fun twisty, sandy, rocky, two track to Laguna Hanson, Ramonas, and El Rayo turnoff. From El Rayo turnoff to Valle de Trinidad has lots of twisty deep sand and big whoops with some bone jarring rocky stuff thrown in for good measure. From Valle de Trinidad its a 28 mile cruise into Mikes with just a few rocky and sandy whooped sections. Would be a very tough day out on a GS type bike, but super fun and easy-moderate for dirt bikes.

Track 02 - Mike's to Tomas

This track leaves from behind Mikes via SCORE route, makes a gas stop at El Coyote Ranch (they sometimes have gas but a great place to stay also) the hits the now paved road just west of Meling Ranch and follows the fun twisty pavement all the way to Mex 1, then follows Mex 1 into Colonet (Pemex). Leaves the Pemex, goes north on Mex 1 about a half mile and heads off the pavement to the southwest for a few miles in a deep sand wash, then loops back north following graded dirt road a few miles inland from the coast, turns into rocky two track, sand whoops etc, all the way into Santo Tomas. Super fast and fun.

Track 03 - Tomas to Veronica

This track leaves the El Palomar Hotel on Mex 1 in Santo Tomas, heads north on the slab for about 6 miles then turns off the slab at El Uruapan. Then follows some graded dirt and super fun SCORE 2 track with some very rocky sections, whoops, etc and to the Pemex just outside of Ojos Negros. After the Pemex (on Mex 3) heads through Ojos east a ways then turns north onto fast graded dirt which run to the west of Laguna Hanson into Santa Veronica. The section from Ojos to Santa Veronica is the fast way (i.e. bypassing Laguna Hanson.)

The track is mostly cleaned up except for some places I stopped for a few minutes. There are alot of intersections on this track and many ways to choose so follow the track closely.

Big DS bikes like GS's would have a very difficult time on the section from Uruapan to Ojos and I would not recommend it for a heavy bike. Otherwise the rest of the route is very doable for a big DS bike.

3_Day_Baja_Loop_TXT.TXT

Is gas available every 100miles on this route?

"I" haven't ridden the loop....yet.......or looked that closely at the tracks.....but I'm relatively certain that gas IS available within that distance constraint.....I also dropped in Pemex waypoints (some of which may or may not be valid).