Sign in to follow this  
socalhodaka

Vintage Six Days

OK so its really only two days. The ISDT Reunion Ride is hosted by the Tulsa Trail Riders at the infamous John Zink Ranch near Tulsa. What is the Reunion Ride? Its run like a two day qualifier that you would of competed in to try and make the US ISDT team, and the Reunion is the past team members that come. Some of the riders this year will be Jack Penton, Carl Cranke, Dwight Rudder, Mike Lewis, Jimmy Winn and many more.

061_61.jpg

Of course I will be riding a Hodaka

DSCN4545.jpg

My bike ready to go.

The weekend includes Friday night Tech inspection and impound the bikes. Saturday will start with 3 bikes leaving each minute and riding 60 to 70 miles of trails with special test.

P1010098.jpg

One of our Hodaka team is Ed Chesnut who worked for Hodaka

Sunday back on the trail for about 30 miles then a 5 lap MX on a natural grass track. Awards are for 3 person teams and individual. This year the Hodaka team will be over 30 riders strong representing the largest group with Husky right behind. They expect up to 200 riders

ISDTRR.jpg

Last year photo of the Hodaka team, this will be my first event.

I would like to say the camaraderie I get with the vintage is what I fill here at SDAR and can't wait to join in on some of the Dual Sport Adventures. I hope you don't mind my vintage stories. Thanks Kelly

I would like to update the story after the event.

Brings back more memories of the "golden days" of off-roading. :boast:

Yea Mimi, I have seen some of your vintage stuff in other post. I know you mentioned not much interest to get on a vintage bike. Maybe I will get you to ride one of the events on a woman's team, and I will get you the bike to ride.

At Diamond Don's AHRMA National in Texas this year they hosted the Pioneers of woman's motocross. Riders like Sue Fish, Mercedes Gonzalez, Nadine Holbert and Tami Rice to name a few got back on the bikes and tore up the track. Sue said it has been over 20 years since she rode, she also rode a Hodaka in her early years.

One thing I like about competing in vintage is 99% I will make it to work, well when I had a job on Monday. And the people you meet.

IMG_1899.jpg

Super Hunky and his wife hanging out at my RV with none stop stories.

IMG_1895.jpg

Must read for all. Monkey Butt by Rick Sieman "AKA" Super Hunky

Yea Mimi, I have seen some of your vintage stuff in other post. I know you mentioned not much interest to get on a vintage bike. Maybe I will get you to ride one of the events on a woman's team, and I will get you the bike to ride.

At Diamond Don's AHRMA National in Texas this year they hosted the Pioneers of woman's motocross. Riders like Sue Fish, Mercedes Gonzalez, Nadine Holbert and Tami Rice to name a few got back on the bikes and tore up the track. Sue said it has been over 20 years since she rode, she also rode a Hodaka in her early years.

One thing I like about competing in vintage is 99% I will make it to work, well when I had a job on Monday. And the people you meet.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Yea Mimi, I have seen some of your vintage stuff in other post. I know you mentioned not much interest to get on a vintage bike. Maybe I will get you to ride one of the events on a Hodaka woman's team, and I will get you the bike to ride.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

Yea Mimi, I have seen some of your vintage stuff in other post. I know you mentioned not much interest to get on a vintage bike. Maybe I will get you to ride one of the events on a Hodaka woman's team, and I will get you the bike to ride.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

A year after building a Honda Trail 90 (go red?) from parts, a Hodaka Ace 100 came home in my fathers trunk....in pieces. It was an education and a cornerstone in my life. I keep coming back to riding and get a twitch after not wrenching for a while.

Thanks for the updated memory and good luck in Tulsa.

I remember racing with (or behind :boast: ) most of those riders. I remember when Sue rode a Super Combat Wombat. I have fond memories of those days, but my fast days are long behind me. I would compete in a sportsman (or sportswoman) race just for the fun and the company. It would be one of life's greater experiences, I am sure. Just like riding the 5th Annual Elsinore Grand Prix way back in 1972. Unforgettable and indelible. Too bad I don't have my old 125 Maico! :beach:

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

great post!

Ha ha, I was looking through

some old stuff today and I

came across this. It is a

photo of me in a newspaper,

in my very first competition.

I am on the evil Kawasaki

F6 complete with one of

those universal trials front

tires. ACA race at the front

track at Carlsbad, Mar. 72.

I just realized that not only

have I never had a Hodaka,

but I also never even managed

to ride one. :beach:

10-26-2008Vintageme.jpg

Misspelled my name, too. :boast:

Nice photos!! Mimi at Carlsbad!!! super cool.

last Carlsbad time up for me was the Marty Moates memorial secret mini moto race.... sorry I was only spectating. shoulda brought the xr80!!!

Carlsbad was epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Socal....didn't mean to hijack your wonderful thread with all my reminiscing. :lol:

No Not at all, I love the old stuff. I wish I would have kept or didn't loose stuff from when I was a kid riding Carlsbad, Mirmar,Palm Ave, Black Mt. All the technology we saw in the 70s and 80s. I have always had a bike since my first when I was 13 but was all my own from a paper route, so I was always years behind. I did alot of flagging at the tracks and hanging around. I just love the history and story's. I can't wait to hit the trails with you guys/gals. Here is a couple more photos.

JimPomeroy.jpg

Jim Pomeroy one week before he left us on a Hodaka at Mid Ohio

DSCN3296.jpg

Tommy Croft on a Hodaka. Tommy was the only Hodaka factory rider and still lives in San Diego

DSCN3228.jpg

Dick Mann still can kick butt at over 70 years old

Oh in case you might wonder about the Hodaka's we ride now day's have a few mods.

DSCN4365.jpg

My Superrat on the lift and my buddies below

Oh how sad about Jim Pomeroy :lol: I didn't even know that he was gone. He was one of my early MX heros along with Brad Lackey. I didn't hear anything about his Jeep crash at the time it happened. He wasn't much older than me.

Pomeroy and Moates,,,within a short period,,,not a good time for US MX pioneer fans.