Sign in to follow this  
RogerTOWM

What boots are best

I went to the Doctor yesterday to have my broken toe checked. This time they told me a little more about my injury. I knew I had cracked the bone. No biggey, broken bones will heal. This time they explained a little more about what I can expect. My broken toe resulted from a fall that jammed my foot straight forward into the ground. This cracked the toe but it also damaged the first joint. The nice smooth pivot point of the first joint is gone. I can expect pain the rest of my life whenever I try to bend the first joint of my big toe. So Ok, I won’t be able to do ballet anymore. I guess I won’t be borrowing Schwinn’s pink tutu after all. They said that if the pain is too bad they can operate and fuse the two bones together. Gee that sounds like fun. :blink:

But hey what’s done is done. What I need to know is what boot I should wear to keep this from happening again. I was wearing O”Neal Element MX boots. These are not the most expensive boots in the world. If I had not been wearing them I would probably have more extensive injuries to my foot. But what boots should I get to prevent this type of injury and yes I am willing to pay for that protection. Any good suggestions from you experienced riders? :D

You fell going 90 and only broke a toe??

May I suggest any decent boot in 1/2 to 1 size too large with 2 pairs of socks?

I'm wearing a slightly oversized boot with 2 pairs of socks and I like it better than a snug\normal fitting boot and 1 pair. No more swamp foot.

I think any alpinestars, sidi, garnere, etc should have the best toe protection money can buy. Old school type with metal toe might be better than the ones without. You will know what I'm talking about when you start your boot search.

Get ones that feel good to you and have a bit of toe space.

You fell going 90 and only broke a toe??

I might have been going 9 mph and there was dirt, but I wasn't wearing sandals. :blink:

May I suggest any decent boot in 1/2 to 1 size too large with 2 pairs of socks?

I'm wearing a slightly oversized boot with 2 pairs of socks and I like it better than a snug\normal fitting boot and 1 pair. No more swamp foot.

I think any alpinestars, sidi, garnere, etc should have the best toe protection money can buy. Old school type with metal toe might be better than the ones without. You will know what I'm talking about when you start your boot search.

Get ones that feel good to you and have a bit of toe space.

How about those high priced boots that have the removable liners? Would they serve the same purpose? I already wear thick motocross socks. Although that day I was not. I was going to work taking a dirt road up through lower otay. And I had my work boot socks on. Maybe the thicker socks would have helped. My O’Neals are not steel toed and I was thinking that a stiffer toe would have been better.

Make sure that you have a roomy toe box in the boot. and that the ankles will fit snug and not let your foot slide forward in an impact to the toe of the boot. Keep your toenails trimmed too. I used to break the toenail on my big toes from not keeping them trimmed very short.

I like to wear Gaerne SG10 boots. Pricey, but very well constructed and easy to get in and out of. The ankles move properly.

Love me Tech 8s

Me too!

Boots are pretty personal. I have been wearing an old pair of full leather Alpinestars with the leather buckles and steel toes and shin guards for over 30 years and never injured a foot with them. They are very comfortable and like all leather are well broken in to fit my feet and ankles. I treat them with needsfoot oil once a year and they still look pretty good. I also use a similar pair of Malcolm Smiths full leather boots which bought sometime in the mid 70's. These are great too.

Don

I like to wear Gaerne SG10 boots. Pricey, but very well constructed and easy to get in and out of. The ankles move properly.

Ditto. I love the SG10's. There will be a couple hours of break in time but they are oh so comfy afterwards. Superior ankle protection is the main reason I buy them. I once broke my ankle (lower leg actually) on both sides because I crashed and the boot completely flexed in both directions. Worth the money.

I think all the high end boots will give you similar protection. Go with what is comfortable, try them all on and walk around the store in them. I have heard good things about the Sidi Crossfires. I went with Sidi Forceflex and have been happy with them, but I think I will try the Crossfires next time. :blink: Ken

I have a ridiculously wide foot... the better the boot, the worse it fits.

I wear fairly cheap boots, because they are more comfortable, but they are not particularly safe... I put a kick starter through the arch of my Thor Quadrants... so I ditched those for dirt duty, but still wear them for dual sport rides.

Now wearing O'Neal elements... also a cheap boot, but comfortable, and seem better than the Thors... and i have to go a size and a half larger to fit my wide feet. :blink:

Assuming you have normal feet, Tech 8s have a great rep., and you can never go wrong listening to Mimi about what to wear... the resident Clothes Horse...I mean that in the nicest way possible :D

I have a ridiculously wide foot... the better the boot, the worse it fits.

ditto

i have to go a size and a half larger to fit my wide feet. :blink:

ditto

Assuming you have normal feet, Tech 8s have a great rep.

ditto or you can do like I did and get tech 8s in 1 size too big. They seem long and narrrow, but I'm like bob. wide feet.

t8 have the removable liner and metal toes. plenty of toe space. 15% off all the time at motoworld.

Any of the mentioned high end boots should be fine. I think Sidi also in general makes very solid products. I have slightly cheaper boots the fox F3's but I got a year old model and got them for under 200 bucks for a 360 dollar boot. I feel like they have great protection and are made well.

For street I wear sidi streetburners and have been very happy with them. Much better protection than a normal even high grain leather shoe but still comfortable to wear all day if a bit weird feeling because they are so flat.

I really wanted TCX Infinity touring boots as they seem to combine the best of both worlds for a dual sport type situation. If I was going on a full dirt ride I would still wear the MX boots tho

I've alway's been partial to these ones...

Tor800-B.jpg

...as they offer excellent personal protection when properly used.

Tor800-B.jpg

Nice Choice Jon.... That's the same style boot I was wearing on my Last Ride.....

post-2790-1224883788_thumb.jpg

GARY! :) UNCALLED FOR!! :)

I don't want to look at your feet! :lol:

that's the second most offensive picture ever posted on this site! :D

Heal up, dude! :D

[That's the same boot I was wearing on my Last Ride.....

Yikes, Gary you do know those are womens boots? What other womens attire do you wear while you ride?

Tor800-B.jpg

Jon, if they are women’s boots why did Gary get them from you?! What else is in you closet? :)

I went and looked at several of the suggestions you guys gave. I really liked the Gaerne SG10 boots. I saw the tech 8s and tech 10s but I liked the feel of the SG10s better. They had a size 9 SG10 at cycle parts west that I tried on. I normally wear a size 10 in boots and shoes. It felt pretty good but I was wearing thin socks. Good toe protection and great ankle support but still lets you walk in it. These boots are easy to put on as well. These are not tennis shoes but for MX boots they are pretty darn good. The price at cycle parts west was pretty good at $349.99 for this year’s model.

But I was able to find last years model on sale for $249.99 out of Arizona. :D The only difference in the models is color. I don’t care about the color and the price was right. :D I got them from these guys;

http://www.cyclezoneinc.com/gaerne-sg10-mx...6c697451c6bc575

They have a limited supply of them; they only had size 10 in white which is what I ordered. I preferred black but again what do I care about color. If Spaugh can wear white boots so can I. He said they still had about 20 black ones in size 9 and 11. I ordered size 10 because that is my normal shoe size and I normally wear thick motocross socks when I ride. If it is too big I can wear a 2nd pair of socks or sell them and get the size 9 blacks. :)

Thanks everyone for your help, cept maybe Jon. :lol:

Tor800-B.jpg

I was thinking if I wore these boots with my pink TU-TU nobody would pass me on the trail or rather nobody would follow :D But I would be almost as tall as EX-QB since he is 6 ft 8" ( really )