Crawdaddy

WEST FEST 2009 - Buena Vista, CO.

I've laid out the route that KLRoger and I will travel on our way to

Westfest. Strega, are you still in? Still hoping others will join us.

Between Sunday July, 26th and Thursday July, 30th we'll cover about

1,100 miles with a little over 400 of that on dirt roads. Included in

this post are 2 Garmin files with the tracks of the ride.

Off road loops or roads in Utah: Cottonwood Canyon, Bryce Victory

Loop, Hells Backbone and White Rim Trail. In Colorado: The Alpine Loop.

I have not been on any of these roads and have relied on books,

internet sites and C Daddy's posted tracks to put the route together.

I would be interested in hearing opinions regarding these trails by

folks who have been on them.

Also would like to hear suggestions, ideas or criticism on the route

in general. We'll be on 950's and want to keep it easy.

Gypsfrog, Let me know if you want to try to hook up on the Alpine

Loop. We should be in that area Wednesday.

Wayne

Will do. I am still trying to finalize my trip/layover/etc.

Without sounding too much like a dumbass (looks can be decieving), can you convert the garmin tracks to be viewed on google maps/earth?

Without sounding too much like a dumbass (looks can be decieving), can you convert the garmin tracks to be viewed on google maps/earth?

You don't need to convert them.........once in MapSource, go to "view" in the toolbar then scroll down to the bottom and highlight "View in Google Earth".......that'll launch Google Earth in a separate window and you'll be able to view the tracks.....

Mike, Wayne, Roger - How's the trip planning coming along? :clapping: .....finalized your game plans? :declare: ........beautiful area to ride......you guys are gonna have a great time......looking forward to your stories/photos...... :curtsey:

You don't need to convert them.........once in MapSource, go to "view" in the toolbar then scroll down to the bottom and highlight "View in Google Earth".......that'll launch Google Earth in a separate window and you'll be able to view the tracks.....

Mike, Wayne, Roger - How's the trip planning coming along? :unsure: .....finalized your game plans? :blink: ........beautiful area to ride......you guys are gonna have a great time......looking forward to your stories/photos...... :)

I am currently in Escondido but hope to ride with the group on day 1 out of Page. A few unsettled contingencies but so far I should be in Page for the first day's ride with my friend Gawin from Page Honda. What is the latest Wayne?

Don

Chris,

Yes all the plans are set and both Roger and I are ready to go. Kept the route easy but still should be fun and interesting. Last half of trip not set. Hope to get up Pikes Peak but beyond that we’ll see how the weather is and also look for some ideas from others at the event.

Regarding our Utah route: Gpskevin sent me tracks marking what was big bike friendly and trails that may be difficult or that we should avoid altogether. He was very generous with his time and info in answering my questions and getting us on the right track (pun intended).

I have a smart phone with a weather App. Been keeping an eye on Page, Moab, Durango and Buena Vista. Over 100 Deg. in some of those places. Heat may be a big factor in what trails we ride.

Don,

I will be phoning you Monday and getting the plans between us dialed in.

Michael,

Roger and I should be arriving some time Thursday. Give us a call if you have the chance. 858-361-7358

Chris,

Yes all the plans are set

AWESOME - Have fun! :lol:

Well I had my bike looked over at All American KTM. New TKC's and heavy duty tubes put on. Got a new tank bag and put on my side bags. I plan on putting all my trash on the bike over the next two days to give it a shake down cruse. I got a power cable on for the GPS. So I think I’ll be ready to go. Gonna miss the C-daddy and man in black though. I know that Wayne and I will have a good time. :lol:

........look for some ideas from others at the event......

Are you familiar with this thread on ADV? – assorted ride ideas for event: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417416 B)

Also, Hayduke just posted a track from Buena Vista to Cannon City that looks Big Bike friendly……you might consider riding some of it then turning north towards CO. Springs/Pikes Peak ;):)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.ph...;postcount=1397

Chris,

Yes all the plans are set and both Roger and I are ready to go. Kept the route easy but still should be fun and interesting. Last half of trip not set. Hope to get up Pikes Peak but beyond that we'll see how the weather is and also look for some ideas from others at the event.

Regarding our Utah route: Gpskevin sent me tracks marking what was big bike friendly and trails that may be difficult or that we should avoid altogether. He was very generous with his time and info in answering my questions and getting us on the right track (pun intended).

I have a smart phone with a weather App. Been keeping an eye on Page, Moab, Durango and Buena Vista. Over 100 Deg. in some of those places. Heat may be a big factor in what trails we ride.

Don,

I will be phoning you Monday and getting the plans between us dialed in.

Michael,

Roger and I should be arriving some time Thursday. Give us a call if you have the chance. 858-361-7358

Hump, will do. Plans were solid, may have a few holes but ironing them out now. Going solo so still undecided whether or not I am riding or trailering if I get to go. Looking fwd to the heat...;-(

Answer came sooner than I thought. I am pulling out of Westfest. Crushed, as I was stoked, but, there's always spring. Chris thanks for the tracks and you guys have a great time. See you on the return.

Mike

KLR Roger and I are in for sure. We plan to take 11 to 12 days.

Are you boys back yet?

Just got back today about 6:00 PM. Had a blast, all went well.

Over 1,000 photos between us so it will take some time to sort out and write a report but here are some teaser photos to give you an idea of what it was like.

Wayne

post-3040-1249792983.jpg

post-3040-1249793001.jpg

post-3040-1249793016.jpg

post-3040-1249793024.jpg

post-3040-1249793032.jpg

post-3040-1249793040.jpg

post-3040-1249793047.jpg

post-3040-1249793057.jpg

post-3040-1249793065.jpg

post-3040-1249793072.jpg

post-3040-1249793080.jpg

post-3040-1249793087.jpg

post-3040-1249793095.jpg

post-3040-1249793105.jpg

post-3040-1249793119.jpg

post-3040-1249793129.jpg

post-3040-1249793138.jpg

post-3040-1249793148.jpg

post-3040-1249793156.jpg

post-3040-1249793164.jpg

B):)B) :clapping:

Looking forward to hearing the travel tales......

Westfest is being held in Buena Vista again this year (2013). Is anyone planning on going? I may meet a friend from the San Diego area and ride with him there.

Westfest is being held in Buena Vista again this year (2013). Is anyone planning on going? I may meet a friend from the San Diego area and ride with him there.

If i can talk my father-in-law into joining me I may try to be there. I'll have just sat for the bar in Denver, and likely in need of a holiday.

If i can talk my father-in-law into joining me I may try to be there. I'll have just sat for the bar in Denver, and likely in need of a holiday.

I'll bet Wayne still has the tracks from our trip in 09. Strega may have them on his site. :coolio: