Strega

Evan Tanner dead, riding his motorcycle

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...59&zoneid=2

Guess he lives in OSide, went out to the desert and bike broke down, he was alone, and looks like the died from heat exhaustion. <_<

What a shame, sounds like he almost made it back to camp. If I went out riding on a Wednesday and asked my friends to "call the sheriff if I didn't make it back right away" I would hope my friends would call before Friday! I would be pissed, I would be dead, but I would be pissed. Ken

If I went out riding on a Wednesday and asked my friends to "call the sheriff if I didn't make it back right away" I would hope my friends would call before Friday! I would be pissed, I would be dead, but I would be pissed. Ken

That's what stuck in my head when I heard the story last night on the news. If you tell a friend you're going on a solo adventure and you'll be back Wednesday, you should be confident help is on the way Wednesday evening while you're trying to walk 15 miles back to your campsite in motorcycle boots. Definitely a shame, this guy is in top shape but no match for the heat.

Having been on a ride in the heat of the desert more than once, and not being a very tough person, I can say that he made a bunch of mistakes. Going alone, going in summer heat, over-estimating his abilities and as Ken commented on, having the wrong friends. :(

I liked DD's view on this, Just another example that even the toughest of the tough are only human. Very sad to see the outcome, His decisions and actions cost him his life and impacted the others in his life in a way I am sure he did not want to.

The article said that he was near Palo Verde. I looked on Google Earth and that is way the heck out by the Colorado river. I wonder what kind of riding area is out there and why that guy went so far away for a ride.... :(

I don't consider myself "soft" in the least... I consider myself "smart"... I make good decisions, and stay in decent shape... and still found myself in the same situation...

the difference? the people with me... another reason to ride with somebody else... even if it's HP, fn, or Ozzy :(

and being in the same situation, it's always a matter of... "just over this next ridge..." and you keep pushing until you can't even walk any more... and your mind starts messing with you, and you yell at 911 operators (or so I hear)

for you that don't follow the UFC, Tanner was a major guy ... He has fought TONS of fights.... these aren't boxing gloves they're hitting with, either... they weigh like 4 oz, and are JUST padded enough to stop knuckles from breaking, and skin from splitting...

RIP

There's a route called the "Bradshaw Trail" that runs from the Salton Sea out to Palo Verde that I've ridden a few times. I'm curious if that where he was. In any case, there's not much out there if you break down in terms of water, shade, etc.

Bradshaw Trail

Another case where the Spot tracker, PLB, or Sat Phone, may have made a difference.

What a shame . . .

That is just what I was going to post... Even if you are not going to carry enough water, tools ect, take one of these. You just never know. plbs.jpg

I went riding out on memorial weekend when it hit about 125 degree. i thought i was going to die and my bike was working. i cant even imagine if i had to walk. anyway safe to say i am never going to try that again. waiting till it cools off to ride again.

I went riding out on memorial weekend when it hit about 125 degree. i thought i was going to die and my bike was working. i cant even imagine if i had to walk. anyway safe to say i am never going to try that again. waiting till it cools off to ride again.

125 degrees? :( Where were you riding--Death Valley?

This story is just so LAME and sad. He also jinxed himself by saying he could lose his life.

Never go Alone!

I am so glad I got SPOT.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templa...59&zoneid=2

Guess he lives in OSide, went out to the desert and bike broke down, he was alone, and looks like the died from heat exhaustion. :(

WOW......I didn't post it in my report, but on my way back from Sedona to Ramona on Friday I got pulled over by the border patrol.......I waved to them as I went by their checkpost outside of Bythe and they chased me down out near Glamis........"why are you pulling me over?", I asked......."I'm a U.S. citizen and I wasn't speeding?".........they said the Imperial County Sheriff's dept was searching for a guy "on an orange bike with luggage" riding out in the same vicinity and I matched the description......."why are they looking for him?", I asked........"Because he's lost and sent a text to his friend to send out a search party", they replied........I tried to explain over and over that I wasn't "the guy".......I wasn't lost......But I was tired because I'd already logged 300+ miles by that point, it was hot (REALLY HOT), and I wanted to get moving..........I hadn't called a friend to send out a search party, etc., etc.......they said I needed to wait for the Sheriff to verify I wasn't the guy !?!?!?!.............WTF?!??!?!..........the cops finally pulled up and said, "He's not our guy"......and let me proceed.......no apology.....kinda pissed me off at the time......and I was on my way......another reason I didn't get home until 9:15 Friday night.....

I asked the border patrol/cops how they knew to look for a guy with an orange bike......they said he sent a text to a friend that if he didn't return by morning to send out a search party.....another reason to carry a GPS (minimum.......spot tracker would be even better).....he was lucky enough to have cell service......too bad he couldn't just send a text with his coordinates......tragic....