DigDug

Saturday 30 Aug - Big Bear

Well, Mickey's grounded from his bike - again... That means big-boy rides (dual sport) for me!!! I'd like to head up to Big Bear and do some of the harder sections from the past two years Big Bear runs. I'm trying to link up a few harder sections from the eastern side of the mountain (John Bull, White Mountain, Heartbreak Ridge, Lightning Ridge, Bellyache Springs) with as minimal fire-road/pavement as possible. I'll have to sit down with the maps and GPS tracks later in the week and see how it all pans out, but I'm thinking somewhere between 80 and 100 miles total.

You'll have to be plated (no green sticker bikes), and let's limit it to intermediate plus riders. I'm not a speed demon, but in order to get the ride complete, we'll need to keep moving...

I'll post details as they come, but wanted to throw it out in case anyone was looking for a technical ride this weekend. Preliminary meeting place and time is: Deer Springs Park-n-Ride, rolling for Big Bear by no later than 7am.

Who wants to ride? <_<

--------------------Update (28 Aug 08, 7:30pm)----------------------

It looks like Spaugh, papaalex, and me so far committed... Anybody else thinking about joining?

How about we meet at the Park-N-Ride on the west side of I-15 at the Deer Springs Rd exit (just north of Escondido Google Maps / Streetview Link Here gps: ) and be ready to roll up to Big Bear by 7am? It's about a 2 hour jaunt to the east side of the mountain. We'll stage at the bottom of the south end of White Mountain (Google Maps / Streetview Link Here gps: N34 16.446 W116 49.147). Hopefully we'll be on the trail by 9:30am. If anyone wants to meet up there, that's a pretty good time to shoot for. If so, give me a call on my cell phone to give us a heads up (number is in the member's only section - or PM me).

I've attached a MapSource track file of edited tracks (from previous rides). There's also waypoints for the Deer Springs P-N-R, and the rally point on the south end of White Mountain. As always, download the attached file and save it to your computer. Once you've got it, rename it from .txt to .gdb and it will open in Garmin MapSource. For an overview, we'll climb White Mountain, run John Bull, do Delamar Mountain, up a cool little short single track, work our way over to and down Jacoby Canyon, through some quad trails out of the Cactus Flats OHV Area, some fire-road to Heartbreak Ridge, up some gnarly rocky trails to Hwy 38, about 1.5 miles of pavement, up Onyx Summit, then back down some scenic fire-road down to Big Bear City. It should be a challenging 80 miles. If we average 16 mph (a realistic expectation depending on rider skills, etc) that's 5 hours of riding.

I've also included a few other tracks in case we wind up blowing off some of the early sections but want to do more in the afternoon.

BBTR_Best_of_30_Aug_08_Ride.txt

Pencil me in as a definate maybe. I just got back from the doctor and have some ligament damage in my hand. I will wear the brace for a few days and see how it feels. <_< Ken

what did mickey do? I'm glad I don't get grounded from my bike.

what did mickey do? I'm glad I don't get grounded from my bike.

Broke into the garage with his friends while I was in LA, stole my 950 with his friends and took it for a little joyride on the streets...

But I won't go into it...

I would have liked to go on this one, but have to stick close to home this weekend.

I'll be with you in spirit :lol:

let's limit it to intermediate plus riders. I'm not a speed demon, but in order to get the ride complete, we'll need to keep moving...

I'd have to concur with that, perhaps low-level-advanced riders ... On previous outings where some are having issues in the difficult sections it can take forever to get through it. Then you're out of time and half the route doesn't get done. I am also quite aware of what "difficult" means to Doug ...

:lol::lol: :scare: :scare: :scare:

I'd have to concur with that, perhaps low-level-advanced riders ... On previous outings where some are having issues in the difficult sections it can take forever to get through it. Then you're out of time and half the route doesn't get done. I am also quite aware of what "difficult" means to Doug ...

So you're coming then??? :D

[broke into the garage with his friends while I was in LA, stole my 950 with his friends and took it for a little joyride on the streets...

But I won't go into it...

So Doug do you have a KLX 300 for sale now? :lol:

So you're coming then??? :D

Already have a Saturday overnight plan with family in Carlsbad, Sunday morning Super-moto ride, Sunday afternoon BBQ with our SSC street group, and a Monday detox session planned. Wish I could participate in your punishment offering, but seems I'm all booked up ... :D

So Doug do you have a KLX 300 for sale now? :scare:

I just might... we'll see how his first few weeks of school go...

Hey, Roger, I'm looking for a "secure bedroom" for him.. you have any open ones there at work for a hoodlum???

:lol: :scare: :scare:

are you guys riding up or hauling?

Mitch

We're hauling up... I have no desire to plant my butt on that plank KTM calls a seat for almost two hours... :lol:

We might be able to carpool - depending on how many come too...

Hey, Roger, I'm looking for a "secure bedroom" for him.. you have any open ones there at work for a hoodlum???

:scare: :lol: :scare:

I have room for him when he is three years older. I sure hope it never comes to that! I also have a very wide leather belt, it use to be used by my Dad and I can tell you it works. :scare:

First post updated with meeting time/location/plan/gps file...

Who else is going and does anyone want to carpool???

Oooh, I was just looking at the weather conditions for Big Bear on Saturday and you guys might get treated to some thunderstorms and rain. Cool things off a bit and keep the dust down. :)

Oooh, I was just looking at the weather conditions for Big Bear on Saturday and you guys might get treated to some thunderstorms and rain. Cool things off a bit and keep the dust down. :)

Perfect riding weather!!! :)

Pencil me in as a definate maybe. I just got back from the doctor and have some ligament damage in my hand. I will wear the brace for a few days and see how it feels. :huh: Ken

ken, you coming? We are trying to figure out the carpool situation.

ken, you coming? We are trying to figure out the carpool situation.

Ken sent me a message, he can't come.. Looks like it's just the three of us unless we have some last minute takers tonight or in the morning...

I can fit three bikes in my truck and it seats three with gear pretty comfortably...

We can meet at the P-N-R a little early to shift bikes over and see if anyone else shows in the morning. Or if we're pretty sure nobody else is coming, we can meet at my house.

Let me know what you guys want to do...