Can I nominate myself for another award?

This one is called 'The 2006 PyroNOOBiac award'. :P

I guess my problem was, as two wheels referred to it... He found the source of our problem sitting in his living room.

I think we all realize, in hindsight, each mistake that led to our dilemna... and the eventual outcome.

Where I think he's an ass... making a bunch of opinions based on a couple of pictures, taken out of order.

Troy; I'm glad you're covering your ankles now... remind me to show you my "no boots, footpeg down to the bone for 6" long scar"

Did you like the way I stuck up for you? kind of...

Ya, that was amesome! I do appreciate that Slut, and I agree completely. The whole thing has become pretty entertaining to say the least, so I guess thats a plus. Anything that can bring out so much discussion and opinion can't be a bad thing. While there is always atleast a few boneheads out there that are completely blinded by their own egos and lack of empathy, I still believe that the greater majority of slightly more intellegent human beings out there appreciate and benefit from the story we have told here. And if that means that I can be the worlds most famous noob for a day, woooHOOOOO, cheers to that!

Lets face it: One of the things that has made the human race the most successful species on the planet, is our natural ability to believe that we are smarter and better than the next guy. It takes alot of experience and maturity to look at things from a more realistic point of view. Those folks doing the bashing on KLR.net have obviously not reached that point yet. Some people never do.

Hey guys, dont worry about the "Monday Morning Quartebacks" out there. It took courgage to attempt to ride the trail(Exploration) that nobody has been on for some time. It also took courgage to post the experience in an open forum. Your story will keep alot of future riders more prepared and educated on what could happen and what to do in a similar situation. Its is not the destination, its the adventure! And you guys had an adventure!!!!!!!!!!

THAT is ADVENTURE?! Oh... then adventure SUCKS... I'll have no more of THAT thank you very much.

99% of the people have been real cool about it.

Since when does quality and expense of gear equate to experience? When was the last time you went down hill skiing? The bunny hill is full of folks struggling to master the snow plow in thousands of dollars of the very best gear. How about bicycling? Every weekend the streets around my place are full of Lance Armstrong look alikes. Bellies hanging over their spandex jersies and tights which are covered with sponsers. What about sport bikes? If I had a nickle for every squid I have passed on a sport bike who was all decked out in the latest racer boy garb...... well, you know the rest.

As for me, I don't advertise for free and I'm not good enough for a company to pay me to wear their name on anything I own. Ever try to buy a piece of motorcycle gear that you don't have to read? It isn't easy. If you are a dirt biker and you want to protect yourself, you are going to end up looking like the latest Supercross star. Sorry, I'm 46 years old. I don't want to look like that. If you think that makes me a noob, than you are simply an idiot.

This was a group of 40+ riders with easily over a hundred years of collective experience. Not a single poser in the group. Were bad decisions made? Of course. Were good decisions made. You bet. Did they have anything to do with the gear we were wearing? I doubt it.

Andy

In response to our latest adventure, I've been contacted by Suzuki, Dunlop and Thor... they want me to NOT wear their gear and are willing to pay me not to...

Come on GUYS!

The ride was an adventure, Will I do it again? The answer isYES!

I plan to explore again Sunday, just further north. Same thing, the unknown. That is what makes it appealing to me. If we get stuck, we will draw on our experience from the last adventures. We work as a team and no one is left behind. :D

Bikeslut, Join us!!

Let's Ride!!! ;):D;):D:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Come on GUYS!

The ride was an adventure, Will I do it again? The answer isYES!

I plan to explore again Sunday, just further north. Same thing, the unknown. That is what makes it appealing to me. If we get stuck, we will draw on our experience from the last adventures. We work as a team and no one is left behind. :D

Bikeslut, Join us!!

Let's Ride!!! ;):D;):D:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well said John, I will ride with you(as always) any time!/Kev

Unfortunately, I will be at sea till early November. Can't wait to ride with the group again. Craig and I are doing the Neduro riding Clinic on 10 Nov. That may be the next time I get to ride my bike. Sometimes, the Navy sucks but I'm happy to serve. Being able to read about your adventures helps a lot.

Keep posting those great ride reports with lots of pictures.

See you in November

Andy

I may be able to do one more Sunday... post your plans, and i'll see where I can meet you guys. If there's not too much slab, I may bring a friend on my TW200...

I just wanted to quickly chime in here. I haven't checked the site recently but met up with Craig at San Diego Sport Cycles yesterday, where he mentioned the 'event'.

That is certainly some adventure, and a well told story Craig. I'm so thankful that no one was hurt! Funny how even after years of riding we still learn new things. New preparations, new precautions, new decision making skills.

By the way, the major offender at the KLR site got spanked by Admin:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.ph...?t=44308&page=3

Look about half way down the page.

Off to Baja for a week this Monday ... let the good times roll!

Brett

I just wanted to quickly chime in here. I haven't checked the site recently but met up with Craig at San Diego Sport Cycles yesterday, where he mentioned the 'event'.

That is certainly some adventure, and a well told story Craig. I'm so thankful that no one was hurt! Funny how even after years of riding we still learn new things. New preparations, new precautions, new decision making skills.

By the way, the major offender at the KLR site got spanked by Admin:

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.ph...?t=44308&page=3

Look about half way down the page.

Off to Baja for a week this Monday ... let the good times roll!

Brett

I almost felt wrong about what I posted............. NOT!!!!!!

That guy is a kook. ;):D

This was a ride origanally posted by Rideorange that I was going to join.

:D I can't leave you guys alone for a MINUTE! I bail-out on one simple little ride, and the next thing I know you all go get your arses flamed on some other site :lol: Kinda makes you want to trade your KLRs for something in ORANGE , don't it? :D

Seriously, I'mm glad you all made it out O.K. Pay no attention to the jackasses behind the curtain. Those types of people obviously have no sense of adventure, and therefore, no experience in extracting themselves from a hairy situation.

I salute you, Team Hairball! I'll be sure to have the knobbies on for our next adventure together....

Great write-up !! The Helo bike ride was an added touch.......even if an expensive one :lol:

It's great to read about the adventures, all of them that everyone is writing about. Keep 'em comin' !!

I liked this sign when I saw it B);)

Posted Image

Great story! Does our photo look familiar?

Your story hit home for a bunch of reasons. About two months after posting the “Phantom Trail”, my neighbor told me about a trail BLM had hired him to bulldoze about 20 years ago. So we headed to the same gate across Lucky 5 Ranch & found the trail. We made it down to a point where I figured I’d end up pushing if we continued. My son, still young, headed down to scout the area & managed to rip back up the hill on a heavy 650R. We figured going on would be too punishing & we rode back up to explored for other trail possibilities! All our photos are Here.

Posted Image

No-that picture is not familiar at all... OURS was steep and rutted and overgrown! THAT trail is... um... OK... that may be the same trail. Your son is younger than I am too. :ph34r:

Woody, in regards to your post that you don't want to look like a super star and advertise protective gear when you are riding, I kind of think differently.. I don't care if my knee protector says fox (only about $25.00), or my chess protector says fox.. I care about my chess and my knees and body. To me the real thing is not so much the expense of the equipment (you can always find used, or good sales, or charge it), but the truth of the matter is that it is very uncomfortable to wear. I get tired using my chess protector, knee protector, elbow protector, it just ads weight and lack of mobility. But so far I use it because I want to be as protected as possible in case of a fall or accident. And sometimes the protective gear is not enough, but at least I did my best. And I sometimes also feel like just wearing my boots and jacket and forgetting about all the gear... will see if I wear all my gear in future rides.. but if I wear it, I don't care if I advertise a brand, that's the least of my problem. Obvioulsy I don't like wearing jerseys that advertise a brand, and I never buy clothing that also advertise a brand. But knee protector, yes! Well, I just wanted to voice my opinion...

Dirtfocus Posted on Oct 9 2006, 07:37 PM

Great story! Does our photo look familiar?

Been there done that.

Looks like the spot where we stopped all but 1 bike. It went 1/4 mile further down.

Maybe we could plan another scout team with trail maintance equip to get the trail passable when it cools off?? Maybe start from the bottom and work up. What do you think/Kev

I second that motion... I want to beat that trail in to submission. Give a month to raise a baby (does it take more than a month?) and I'll be there. Of course, the rainy/snow season may just about destroy any headway we would make. The trail was right along a drainage.

Do we need permission to go in there and improve the road? There's a gate at the top and sometimes it's locked. I'd hate to spend several days doing manual labor to get the road passable only to be denied access.

Dude, that kid can ride! OH YEAH ! That is what it's all about right there ! ! !

The trail sure was in nice shape back then.

That rut is like 6 feet deep now! mawAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH !

Anyways, let me know when you guys are done fixing the trail.

I'll come test run it for you to see which spots still need some work! :lol:

Posted Image

Two wheels brings up a good point. I also understand there might be some private land at the bottom of the trail that might cause some problems. This will have to be investigated before doing some maintance and future exploration/Kev