paulmbowers

Radios and bike-to-bike com systems

I'd at least like to have a license to show the support and attempt to be "legal".

I've done the same thing, and I think it's a good idea to have the license to theoretically use repeater in case of an emergency, but....

I also believe that the penalty for an unlicensed transmission is less severe (depending on what's said/done) than being licensed and then operating in violation of the FCC rules.

Might be better off without the license and pleading ignorance, than passing the test and flaunting the law. Remember, in an emergency, an unlicensed operator may use the frequencies available...

Dunno.

Ya... that's why (one of the many reasons) I've not RAN OUT and taken the test just yet.... ph34r.gif

I'm cheap, so spending $350-$450 for a radio setup is not going to happen. I personally think the radio would be a better investment than a Spot or a GPS, I have neither of those and I sometimes ride by myself in places I've never been and have somehow completed the Desert Dash a few times using some crazy paper strip deal.

So I could see just having the radio as an emergency backup, probably more useful than a cell phone in the middle of nowhere. If I get one of the cheap Chinese radios, it would just go in the backpack with all the rest of my emergency stuff.

But that's just me, and I've rarely been accused of being smart.

I'm cheap, so spending $350-$450 for a radio setup is not going to happen. I personally think the radio would be a better investment than a Spot or a GPS, I have neither of those and I sometimes ride by myself in places I've never been and have somehow completed the Desert Dash a few times using some crazy paper strip deal.

So I could see just having the radio as an emergency backup, probably more useful than a cell phone in the middle of nowhere. If I get one of the cheap Chinese radios, it would just go in the backpack with all the rest of my emergency stuff.

But that's just me, and I've rarely been accused of being smart.

I know people like yourself... who, often... ride alone. And often, with no "backup" plan or "devices" to help keep them safe. Some of those, have been doing it for years and years with no issue(s) to date (thank goodness). I believe no matter your skill level, or how "safe" you ride... there will be a day you need help.

AND... it only takes ONCE to learn the hard way.

A radio, is NOT a good backup plan.

A SAT phone, is NOT a good backup plan.

A cellular phone, is NOT a good backup plan.

I also don't think a PLB is a good backup plan, as they don't track per-se.

And a GPS, is just an aid in routing. Not a backup plan or life saving device whatsoever.

... enter a SPOT;

A SPOT device, is a GREAT backup plan. Use the tracking so people (that you designate to keep an eye on you) can watch your path, and if you crash and are knocked out... they'll know your location (as long as your not in a tunnel, under heavy tree foliage etc.etc.) and can send help. How do they know you need help? Your in the same spot for waaaaay too long. So it's good to have people that know you, and your riding ability or "how you think" watching your spot link.

... I own 2 SPOT devices (a SPOT2 and CONNECT), and will be getting the new SPOT3. It's invaluable if you ask me. And it became more evident to me when I spoke with the a rep of SPOT and the President of GEOS Alliance (at length, years ago about "Baja" and coverage or access by GEOS). GEOS Alliance has your back... it's best to make sure you opt for their service if buying a new SPOT device.

Here's the first post of that thread in Nov. of 2008, talking about coverage and access in Baja (just after my bud, Steve Martz was shot in Baja while riding with three friends - prerunning for Baja1000 and on old SCORE race course routes);

http://www.thumperta...e/#entry6067806

Joliet ordered some stuff (for me ) from Rugged a few weeks back. Some items are Back ordered so we did not get our stuff yet . :angry2:/>

I usually prefer ebay. saves a little money.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item23320ff72a

or this one for longer battery life.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2400-mah-large-battery-for-Yaesu-FT-60R-VX-150-VX-170-VX-177-VX-160-VX-180-400-/350666588156?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Device_Batteries_Chargers&hash=item51a55b7ffc

CiD

My VX170 won't hold a charge anymore even after sitting on the charger overnight. Anyone have a good source for a battery pack?

I suppose Amazon makes the most sense?

http://www.amazon.co...=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

So I could see just having the radio as an emergency backup, probably more useful than a cell phone in the middle of nowhere. If I get one of the cheap Chinese radios, it would just go in the backpack with

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FDC-FD-160A-VHF-136-174mhz-handheld-portable-Radio-FREE-earpiece-2-way-ham-/400555313819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d42f50a9b

That's the one I use. pick up a SENA SR-10 and you are GTG for just over 200 bucks. Stay away from their accesories. I was using their handset on Sundays ride and it was junk unless you weren't moving. Other than that the radio itself works great and is pretty tough. I've beat the living crap out of mine.

They sell models that are "dual band" that cover the VHF and UHF freqs.

My VX170 won't hold a charge anymore even after sitting on the charger overnight. Anyone have a good source for a battery pack?

I suppose Amazon makes the most sense?

http://www.amazon.co...=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

I've ordered the generic version from Hong Kong and it wouldn't charge. mad.gif

The license is cheap and easy to get. Learn the basic rules and you would have to be a complete idiot to get yourself in trouble!

I am kind of curious!

How many people with radios on this site have a license and how many do not?

I have mine.

I'd at least like to have a license to show the support and attempt to be "legal".

I've done the same thing, and I think it's a good idea to have the license to theoretically use repeater in case of an emergency, but....

I also believe that the penalty for an unlicensed transmission is less severe (depending on what's said/done) than being licensed and then operating in violation of the FCC rules.

Might be better off without the license and pleading ignorance, than passing the test and flaunting the law. Remember, in an emergency, an unlicensed operator may use the frequencies available...

Dunno.

Ya... that's why (one of the many reasons) I've not RAN OUT and taken the test just yet.... ph34r.gif

I'm curious, has anybody tried or had any luck with the throat mike setups? If so, then what brand? I'm looking for something easily transferred from my dirt helmet to my street helmet. Radio type is not important, there's an adapter for that.

I'm curious, has anybody tried or had any luck with the throat mike setups? If so, then what brand? I'm looking for something easily transferred from my dirt helmet to my street helmet. Radio type is not important, there's an adapter for that.

I tried one years ago and it didn't perform that well but then it wasn't all that expensive either. When I was on an Emergency Response Team we used them with SCBA's. My recollection is that they were adequate but nothing more. I think the in helmet setup is a lot less cumbersome. Rugged Radios has sales on the headsets from time to time. The helmet kit portion can be had for ~$70 on sale. Buy two and put one in each helmet. You only need one harness. That's my setup. Painless to switch from bike to bike.

Been doing my studying and the next test day that I found is on February 15 at 10:00 A.M. for anybody that's interested.

02/15/2014

Sponsor: PAPA System

Date: Feb 15 2014

Time: 10:00 AM (No walk-ins)

(858) 487-0245

Email: papatesting@live.com

VEC: Greater LA VEC

5353 Kearny Villa Rd

San Diego CA 92123-1415

Just for reference, does anybody know if there's a frequency that everybody has settled into for rides? The only one I've seen in the posts is 146.505 If this is "The" agreed upon frequency are there any other settings that any intended users should be aware of?

Just for reference, does anybody know if there's a frequency that everybody has settled into for rides? The only one I've seen in the posts is 146.505 If this is "The" agreed upon frequency are there any other settings that any intended users should be aware of?

That's the one I've used on every SDAR ride I've been on, and as a result my own little group now uses it for our rides.

That's the default freq- no subtones or anything else. Plenty of legitimate arguments for other frequencies, too- we might be better in the FRS band, but this is where we've all landed. With enough licensed operators, we could start agreeing on "hailing frequencies" on local repeaters, especially for extraction efforts. But I don't see that ever happening...

Here's a list of current suggestions to equip yourself to talk with many SDAR members during rides. Yes, there are other ways, some might even work. But this is really what you want:

Rugged Radios Motorcycle Single Kit without Radio $199
http://www.ruggedrad...products_id=586

MC-BASIC-MOTORCYCLE-KIT-MD.jpg

You'll need to select a PTT switch- they have options for this kit. Velcro is the most flexible, but awkward to mount in an easy spot on the bike. PTT switches also tend to fail, so I suggest buying an additional PTT- I'd get one like this, their $70 XL perch mount PTT-MC-PM-XL:

http://www.ruggedrad...&products_id=78

PTT-MC-PERCH-XL-SM.jpg

but check what works with your bike. Then you have the velcro version for backup.

Then you need a "radio jumper":

CJ-VERT-Vertex-Radio-Jumper-MD.jpg

which adapts the radio harness to your selection of radios -more about radios later. The Yaesu radios use the CJ-vert $25 and the BaoFeng uses a CJ-10, which is not on the website- you'll have to call Rugged Radios.

I currently recommend the $38 BaoFeng UV-5R,

41geBq32QtL.jpg

a damn bargain when compared to the mildly superior Yaesu.

I like Amazon, but they're available in many places:

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B007H4VT7A

There you are- now read the very long thread about communications which includes discussion about the FCC and the grey shadows of legality in which many operate.

Be informed on Federal Law about these devices, scoff the law at your own risk.

In the interests of seeing more people riding with radios I will mention this headset/PTT setup. It isn't rugged, I'm on my second unit after snapping my PTT cable. It isn't fancy or even particularly nice. It is 100% compatible with the Baofeng UV-5R linked above, however, and $29 shipped.

In the interests of seeing more people riding with radios I will mention this headset/PTT setup. It isn't rugged, I'm on my second unit after snapping my PTT cable. It isn't fancy or even particularly nice. It is 100% compatible with the Baofeng UV-5R linked above, however, and $29 shipped.

Yes!

It is an option, and works especially well at rest or very low speed.rolleyes.gif

It works out great for my friends who spend a lot of time at rest, or riding at low speed. :heh:

Seriously tho, it works just fine for bike-to-bike communications (my wife and I have used them at 70+ mph w/o issue) and is an easier pill to swallow for someone who just dropped a ton of money on a bike and gear and just wants to be warned of oncoming traffic.

This should be step two. APRS is basically sending some data along with your voice when you transmit. Most commonly the data is coordinates. Every time you transmit everyone that can receive your transmission can see your position on their phone or laptop.

I ride my VStrom to work with ear buds........thinking about getting some sort of Bluetooth setup so I don't have to be plugged into the phone.......

I see this cheapo unit on Cyclegear for music/calling: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Accessories/Electronics/Bike-to-Bike-Communication/brand/UCLEAR/HBC100-Plus-Bluetooth-Communication-System---Single/p/44093_00000

Anybody use it? I may just put up with the annoyance of a flailing cord, stay plugged in, and save ~$150 that I can parlay towards an updated GPS.......I don't really care if I can't chat on the phone while riding.......I don't talk on the phone much anyway......

Speaking of GPS.......

Perhaps Bluetooth/WiFi is a reason to consider Monterra vs. Montana in terms of GPS upgrade?

http://www.gpscity.com/compare/mont600&mterra

Look in the current communications thread. I use a sena for Bluetooth. Works awesome and it is under $100 shipped from amazon.

Save your pennies and spend a little more for a name brand unit such as SENA or SCALA. I prefer Sena myself.

I ride my VStrom to work with ear buds........thinking about getting some sort of Bluetooth setup so I don't have to be plugged into the phone.......

I see this cheapo unit on Cyclegear for music/calling: http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/Accessories/Electronics/Bike-to-Bike-Communication/brand/UCLEAR/HBC100-Plus-Bluetooth-Communication-System---Single/p/44093_00000

Anybody use it? I may just put up with the annoyance of a flailing cord, stay plugged in, and save ~$150 that I can parlay towards an updated GPS.......I don't really care if I can't chat on the phone while riding.......I don't talk on the phone much anyway......

Speaking of GPS.......

Perhaps Bluetooth/WiFi is a reason to consider Monterra vs. Montana in terms of GPS upgrade?

Speaking of GPS.......

I just picked up a Sena SMH-10 and can give you a good price on a Sena SMH-5 system, with upgraded speakers. I'll swap out my unit with my wife's (only used about 2-3x) and send you hers.

About $130-140 value, yours for the low price of only $70 shipped.

Lemme know yo.