Anyone seen the ad on the front page of http://www.smokeybear.com/ ?

EDIT - the video is gone from the above page, but it's still on their website at: http://www.smokeybear.com/index.asp

Tell me there's no agenda there...

Pretty crappy attack if you ask me...

Apparently, BRC and CORVA have sent responses. Check out the D37 Off-Road discussion board thread: BlueRibbon Attacks Bad Ad about ATV's and Fires.

Geez, that's pretty lame......DEFINITE agenda.........message, "motorcycles are bad.....motorcycles start ALL fires.....just say "no" to motorcycles at the trail head", etc.........what a load'a crap :blink: .......no discussion of how moto groups conduct trail maintenance, use spark arrestors to PREVENT forest fires, etc., etc.......hadn't seen this ad before.....thanks Doug.....time for another letter/e-mail/petition to take that ad down from the net.....what's equally annoying/frustrating is a lot of unknowledgeable folks would buy right into this propaganda.....

Geez, that's pretty lame......DEFINITE agenda.........message, "motorcycles are bad.....motorcycles start ALL fires.....just say "no" to motorcycles at the trail head", etc.........what a load'a crap :angry: .......no discussion of how moto groups conduct trail maintenance, use smoke arrestors to PREVENT forest fires, etc., etc.......hadn't seen this ad before.....thanks Doug.....time for another letter/e-mail/petition to take that ad down from the net.....what's equally annoying/frustrating is a lot of unknowledgeable folks would buy right into this propaganda.....

There's a pretty good discussion and a copy of the letters written to the Ad Council by BRC and CORVA over on the D37 site I linked in post 1...

I posted a message there, but will post again here... It's stuff like this that doesn't need letters, protests, etc... This stuff needs LAWSUITS against the offending parties. We already know that government agencies buckle under the threat of lawsuits (that's how the greenies get their way against our interests)... Time to fight fire with fire...

How bout an ad where Smokey rides up to some "world travelers" and tells them not to start a campfire? How fast would that get people screaming "foul"? :angry:

"9 out of 10 wildfires are started by humans"... i don't doubt that, but it intentionally implies that ATVs start fires... and maybe some do... but in all of the years I've lived in CA, I have never heard of a properly equipped bike starting a wildfire...

lost hunters? international travelers? arsonists? weedwhackers? lightning? downed power lines? Yes to all of them... smokey needs to pull his head out. All ignorant non-riders will look at this as "fact" and continue to assail our past time... :angry:

All ignorant non-riders will look at this as "fact" and continue to assail our past time... :angry:

Exactly... and if you ask me, it's entirely by design!!! The creators of this "ad" definitely have an agenda, and there's no hiding it...

That's why I still think there needs to be some sort of lawsuit... Letters from ATV lovers won't make a difference to these people...

Hmm... I don't see the video on their site any more...

Maybe the letters everyone wrote worked...

Hmm... I don't see the video on their site any more...

Maybe the letters everyone wrote worked...

Maybe they rotate different ones per a certain time frame.

Maybe they rotate different ones per a certain time frame.

They might, but on the right side, under "watch more" there were two videos - the one in question with the ATV's and the one that's on there now (with the guys in the restaurant). Now there's only the second one...

I just watched the ATV video for the first time. It's still there. I saw the restaurant one too. If there was a motorcycle video, I don't see it anywhere, just the ATV and restaurant one.

I just watched the ATV video for the first time. It's still there. I saw the restaurant one too. If there was a motorcycle video, I don't see it anywhere, just the ATV and restaurant one.

I don't see the ATV one now... It's been gone when I looked at about 3pm Pacific time.

Hmm??? :angry:

Edit:

If you go to http://www.smokeybear.com/ it's not there (only one video. If you click on the image at the top of the page (with the picture of smokey's head) it takes you to: http://www.smokeybear.com/index.asp and the video is still there...

Also, there are other sites out there (blogs mostly) that used to link to the video - those all say "video deleted"....

Even the youtube site http://www.youtube.com/index?&session=...VdaFhDzC53lFfw= now states "The video has been removed by the user".

Edit:

If you go to http://www.smokeybear.com/ it's not there (only one video. If you click on the image at the top of the page (with the picture of smokey's head) it takes you to: http://www.smokeybear.com/index.asp and the video is still there...

Also, there are other sites out there (blogs mostly) that used to link to the video - those all say "video deleted"....

I did some investigations myself and found out exactly what you posted. Now was there also a motorcycle video or are we talking about the ATV video?

Edit:

I did some investigations myself and found out exactly what you posted. Now was there also a motorcycle video or are we talking about the ATV video?

Just the ATV one...

Here's an AP story on the issue: http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ix1f6vX...DEQvWwD9235G6O1

I saved it from the site for keepsake since the Forest Service seems to be trying to purge all copies...

If there was a motorcycle video, I don't see it anywhere, just the ATV and restaurant one.

In some quarters of John Q Public's mind, ATV=Dirtbike=Motorcycle.....it's all the same thing......motors.....sparks.......bad......

Which is why we have to stop "The Man" from posting this linda crap.....I tend to agree with Doug, the threat of a lawsuit might be more effective than whinning letters/e-mails/petitions.....

My bet is that all the attention (including the AP article) uncovered their thinly-veiled attempt to turn public opinion against motorized recreation...

Either that, or it makes them look stupid since the ad shows that they don't know what a spark arrestor is...

video is still there. I just watched it. lame. Smokey can kiss my ass...

I e-mailed Chief Kimball explaining my displeasure with this Ad, have you? You can reach her at

akimbell@fs.fed.us feel free you express yourself.

I e-mailed Chief Kimball explaining my displeasure with this Ad, have you? You can reach her at

akimbell@fs.fed.us feel free you express yourself.

I think all the thumpertalk dudes have taken care of the "off-roaders kick ass" responses... I sent a very thoughtful, lucid and candid letter, asking that they focus their energies on the most common man made wildfire sources...really... I did

I sent a very thoughtful, lucid and candid letter, asking that they focus their energies on the most common man made wildfire sources...really... I did

I know I did. :angry:

I think all the thumpertalk dudes have taken care of the "off-roaders kick ass" responses... I sent a very thoughtful, lucid and candid letter, asking that they focus their energies on the most common man made wildfire sources...really... I did

I don’t think off-roaders kick ass would be the best response. <_< My letter was calm, polite and to the point. :P

I don’t think off-roaders kick ass would be the best response. <_< My letter was calm, polite and to the point. :P

ever been on www.thumpertalk.com ? about 60% "off roaders kick ass" types and about 40% smart, articulate riders.

I'll post my letter when I get a chance

ever been on www.thumpertalk.com ? about 60% "off roaders kick ass" types and about 40% smart, articulate riders.

Well yes, I have noticed that many of the bloggers on thumper talk are fifteen years old. Some of the thirty year olds on thumper talk act fifteen. I always take what I read there with a grain of salt. They do have some good tech tips.

Well yes, I have noticed that many of the bloggers on thumper talk are fifteen years old. Some of the thirty year olds on thumper talk act fifteen. I always take what I read there with a grain of salt. They do have some good tech tips.

ATV_advertisement_on_the_web_site.rtf

WASHINGTON — Smokey Bear was unfair.

The Forest Service said Tuesday it has canceled a public service ad in which the iconic bear warned that sparks from off-road vehicles could start a wildfire.

Off-road groups had complained that the ad sent the wrong message that riders operating ATVs in a legal manner can start forest fires.

"The mutual goal of the Forest Service, National Association of State Foresters and the Ad Council is to spread Smokey's enduring message of preventing wildfires to all forest users," the Forest Service said in a statement Tuesday.

Because the ATV ad was interpreted as unfairly targeting off-road riders, the Forest Service has requested that TV stations and other media outlets that had broadcast the ad discontinue it, the Forest Service said.

The BlueRibbon Coalition, an Idaho-based group that advocates for off-road vehicles, hailed the ad's withdrawal.

"I honestly believe the agencies had intended to create a positive message regarding safe use of ATVs on public lands," said Don Amador, the group's Western representative.

Whatever its intent, the ad "incorrectly conveyed to the ATV rider that the best way for them to prevent wildfires was to stay at home. Instead, the ad should have encouraged the use of Forest Service-approved spark arresters and limiting travel to approved routes and areas," Amador said.

Forest Service officials said the ad was not intended to imply that all ATV use causes fires — rather that fire prevention is always important, especially at a time of high fire danger.

The Forest Service supports responsible use of ATVs on public land, said Jim Bedwell, the agency's director of recreation. ATV riders must use spark arresters — which restrict sparks from escaping an exhaust system — when operating off-road on public lands.

:D:D:):);)

Gee, do you think that some of our e-mails helped push this stupid ad off the air? I believe in treading lightly and using the land in an undamaging manner. But if we don’t make our voices heard, even in a stupid little thing like this, the “don’t touch the land but venerate her” greenees will get everything closed off. :) They take a little bite at a time until the whole cow is eaten up. ;) I’m 51 years old and have been seeing it happen. They start with misinformation, like “motorcycles cause fires”. Keep vigilant and be heard!