I made it to the staging area on time, to meet Walker1 for the first time. He was already there, along with Ozzy, who I didn't even recognize without his big beard. I also didn't recognize him being on such an easy gentle ride, since he is very fond of fast paced, technical rides....but there he was, all ready to go. Soon, KLRoger rolled in, but went off to tank up at the mini-mart while I geared up and commented on the lovely weather we were having.

The sky was overcast and the pavement was still a bit wet. The morning was perfectly cool, still and humid. The air had that wonderful aroma of wet sage hanging in it. It's hard to imagine any more perfect riding conditions at this time of year.

When KL returned, we discussed briefly a route and then set off towards Pine Valley. We were going to take the August 07 night ride route. Soon after our departure, it began to rain ever so gently, which just added another positive element to the ride; no dust. The ground was fairly moist anyway from the thunder storm that had passed in the night and traction was great! :D We rode up our first trail and through to the highway, then headed south to hook up with Thing Valley road. It was drier out that way, so we started to have some dust by then, but at least it was still cool.

On Thing Valley road, I decided to explore some side trails that I hadn't been on. None of them went anywhere, but we had to have a look anyway. One of these side roads had a bunch of rather active bee hives on it, and they were quite busy as bees tend to be. I didn't want to go any further when I saw the hives, but Walker didn't have any bee issues and motored right through them. I didn't feel so charmed and I am quite terrified of bees, having had plenty of bad luck with them, but I rode through also, as did everybody. Not too much further down the trail, we hit a dead end. I went on foot, scouting for a possible route, but didn't find one and I looked quite diligently because I didn't want to go back past the bees in the opposite direction, but....we had to ride back past the bees. They were evidently having a pretty good morning because they let us live, even though one ended up inside of my helmet for a short moment. :)

From Thing Valley, we took La Posta connector trail and the dirt road that dumped us onto Buckman Springs road near Campo. It was here that I discovered that the wires pulled out of my turnsignal flasher unit again. Oh well, time for arm signals. :bomb: We headed north to Morena Stokes and then to mix it up a little, we went up East Kernan to Four Corners. We retraced Sundays route up Spur Meadow trail and visited good ol' Norm at the fire lookout and listened to some of his stories. Walker liked the view from up there. Ozzy finally took off at this point, so he could ride some technical stuff I would imagine, and we headed for lunch via the pavement.

It was another fine gourmet meal at Frosty Burger. I tried the Ortega cheeseburger this time and thought that it was pretty darn good. By now the sun was fading in and out and the temperature was not so cool any more, but still cooler than over the weekend. We all relaxed and chatted a bit before departing. Walker and KL headed for home and I went east. I had a mission, but I didn't accomplish it. I was going to Wisteria Candy Cottage for the last time to take some photos and buy my last chocolates from the place. I should have known that after the news spread that they were closing, that there would be such a stampede to their door that nothing would be left by today. And by nothing, I mean NOTHING. The shelves were bare. :lol: The girl apologized and explained that they would be making a big batch of candy for the weekend, but that didn't help me right then. I probably won't get out there before they close, but at least I could order some and have them shipped to me....

So here are the photos.

First up, we have a very rare commodity for this time of year: mud.

100_0870.jpg

and beautimus maximus weather for trail riding. Look ma, no dust!

100_0867.jpg

The moisture made the woods so alive....

100_0871.jpg

Walker1 in front of a vista that has seen better times before one of the many forest fires swept through the area.

100_0872.jpg

KL and Ozzy on the trail checking out the scenery.

100_0875.jpg

Me and Trajan enjoying the forest morning. The teensiest bit of mud on my fenders....

100_0876.jpg

Thing Valley here we come....

100_0881.jpg

at the turn off for Thing Valley road....KL and whatsizname. :)

100_0885.jpg

Up by the fire lookout.

100_0887.jpg

Team Tourist gets their picture taken by Norm at the fire lookout. I need a new makeup man.... :)

100_0886.jpg

Just a photo and no sweets here. :D

100_0889.jpg

So, it was great meeting and riding with Walker1 and also great to ride with KLRoger again, since it has been a while. KL looks to be much more comfortable tackling the dirt with his big Husky these days. (Ozzy, hope you found some fun technical stuff to ride on after you left the fire tower. See you on a trail ride later on.) The weather was almost custom made for our ride. Unbelievable for July ;) It was just a relaxed, slow paced, easy scenic ride, just as it was intended to be. We did a 72 mile loop and the Husqvarna never even hit reserve. See both you guys for another ride soon, I hope.

Nice weather and ride today. I feel bad for making Ozzy go so slow. He was very patient riding sweep. He reminded me of a grey hound having to herd sheep. :) Well at least I hope he got a laugh watching me go up Kernan. I think I bounced off every rock there. :o But at least I didn’t fall down this time and I was much faster. Maybe I’m getting the knack of this. I guess I’ll be able to go on Hammer’s all Killer no Filler ride soon (well maybe not). :)

Anybody notice my imaginary handlebars on the turn off for thing valley road photo?

Again great ride and even better company. I did have one problem today. I Pyroed out from my house. On the way home, shooting down I8 my helmet visor caught some wind. The helmet came up and I was suddenly looking through my chin guard instead on the shield. This happened on the pine valley bridge. Not exactly a place where I wanted to be blind. I tried to push the helmet back down but it was having none of that, the wind kept pushing it up. This was the first time I’ve ever had this happen to me and I hope it is the last time. I don’t usually carry extra clean underwear with me but today I could have used it. I finally got across the bridge and pulled off of the road. I thought that I had forgotten to fasten my chinstrap but it was secure. The strap had just loosened up some and let the helmet shift. I tightened it up, changed underwear and made it home without further incident. Another lesson learned, “check your chinstrap” and another nice ride.

Very nice, gotta love those conditions. Sorry I missed you guys. I hope to ride with ya's soon.

Great Ride All!

The conditions were almost perfect!

The Views-AWSOME!

Went up SDAR Trail for the frist time! Yes 4 **** in my book, what a Great Trail! :)

Thanks Mimi! Excellent Lead.

Roger your skills have really improved, Let's ride again soon.

Ozzy Thanks for being so patient and riding Sweep for us old Want-a-Bees.

Walker1 :o

Glad you guys enjoyed the ride. I thought it was awesome, except for the bees and having my turnsignal wires pull out. I fixed them this morning and will remount the flasher unit in a slightlty different spot. Maybe they won't pull loose again, although they weren't snagging on anything that I could see when I checked last time I fixed 'em. Maybe we will get more rain for some more excellent rides. :)

Ozzy's a good egg :)

Chris; let's ride NEXT Monday

Miimi and others sorry I missed the ride. Would have liked to have made it with you all. :) My skills are improving a little but I must admit last ride on East Kernan falling a couple of times on my KLR exhausted me. Duct tape is still holding on my foot peg :o but need to replace bolt before next ride. Still need to work on not using my front brake going down hills and more momemtum and/or clutch uphill. Glad you didn't get stung by the bees. I met Norm last ride on Sunday 6 July. He was really nice to me and we had a nice visit; he gave me an ice cold water. Nice write-up Mimi. Hope to be riding with you all soon.

Miimi and others sorry I missed the ride. Would have liked to have made it with you all. :) My skills are improving a little but I must admit last ride on East Kernan falling a couple of times on my KLR exhausted me. Duct tape is still holding on my foot peg :o but need to replace bolt before next ride. Still need to work on not using my front brake going down hills and more momemtum and/or clutch uphill. Glad you didn't get stung by the bees. I met Norm last ride on Sunday 6 July. He was really nice to me and we had a nice visit; he gave me an ice cold water. Nice write-up Mimi. Hope to be riding with you all soon.

Well, Port....when I say it will be a nice easy relaxed ride, I mean it. We didn't even go up East Kernan until I conferred with all involved parties and everybody agreed that it would be a good route. The rest of the ride was either blacktop or mellow fire and jeep roads. Nothing steep or rocky. Next time you see me post a ride that says that it will be easy, don't be afraid to tag along. It will be an easy ride. :) Now go get a new bolt for your footpeg and make sure all your nuts and bolts are tight!