Zubb

JB Kwik weld vs Steel Stick

There are two kinds of off road riders.  Ones that carry JB Kwik weld, and ones that eventually will.  

A question for the peanut gallery, has anyone used JB "Steel Stick" on the trail?   I think carrying the Steel Stick is less "messy" or vulnerable to a grotesque accident in my tool kit, but don't know if it's as bombproof after application as Kwik Weld.  I also started to wonder if it was losing power being exposed to air even though it hadn't been mashed or kneaded together.  I carried it for years but never got to use it, eventually pitched it for some fresh JB Kwik Weld.

We all know the little tubes of 2 part epoxy Kwik Weld work like magic, but I can't remember seeing or hearing any one here using the stick.  

For reference, this vid has me wondering ...

• Like 1

@Zubb - I just used the SteelStick on @Hawkins magnesium cover on his AT DCT. 

The hole was small, but plenty to be spitting oil if upright, I was initially worried about adhering to the magneseum cover because it's shiny, but all three of us gave it a tap about 5 minutes after applying and it was very solid. That was only like the 1st 3rd of the day's riding, and it didn't lose a drop after that. 

I have also used traditional jbweld from the two tubes, but usually on 4 wheelers. The one stick is easier to carry, i just wrap both ends with E tape to keep it secure.

Edited to add: In my experience with the steel sticks, you just need to make sure you do a good job mashing it together to get a good mix, then it will set in that 5 min and be super solid (don't lick your fingers afterwards). 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 2

I have carried around both items, used them a few times over the years.  Temporary repairs that you're supposed to fix properly after the ride end up being permanent! 

I suppose like most anything, JB Weld has a shelf life.  I wouldn't be too concerned to go beyond it a bit, but I'd bet the steel stick stuff that I'm carrying in my pack is over ten years old.   

I just checked the JBW website, says three year shelf life.  I would have zero qualms using it for five years I suppose, maybe even more than that.  I guess I will do a test with the one in my pack and purchase a new one.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tntmo said:

I suppose like most anything, JB Weld has a shelf life.  I wouldn't be too concerned to go beyond it a bit, but I'd bet the steel stick stuff that I'm carrying in my pack is over ten years old. 

Agree, the steel stick in my bag had been in there since at least 2021, and probably was a carry-over from my F800gsa kit. Worked fine! Capped the rest back off in the tube for the next one. 

• Like 1

Cool.  Thanks guys.  I think tape wrapping the end caps on the stick tube is probably a good idea.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Also its less prone to damage vs the two part mix

more crash proof over time

zubb you need that

• Like 1

I just looked at the JBW I have in the garage, it doesn’t have a “best by” date or anything like that on it.  I’m going with: it’s good forever! 

• Agree 1

On 6/7/2023 at 9:33 PM, DSM8 said:

Also its less prone to damage vs the two part mix

more crash proof over time

zubb you need that

Dude you are so right. In almost a half million miles and lord knows how many of that in dirt and Baja …. It was always for someone else’s bike. 
….. I probably shouldn’t have said that out loud. 

On 6/7/2023 at 9:53 PM, tntmo said:

I just looked at the JBW I have in the garage, it doesn’t have a “best by” date or anything like that on it.  I’m going with: it’s good forever! 

I guess if you have it a little squeeze once in a while to see if it was soft, you'ld be good to go. 
Then again, it’s only about the cost of 1 or 2 PBRs for some fresh stuff  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zubb said:

I guess if you have it a little squeeze once in a while to see if it was soft, you'ld be good to go. 
Then again, it’s only about the cost of 1 or 2 PBRs for some fresh stuff  

I just mixed some up to fix a carburetor, guess we will see if it’s still good.

• Like 2

Probably ten year old two part JB Weld original stuff works like a champ.  Probably wise to keep fresher stuff on the bike.  Write the date purchased on it, replace it after 5-ish years.  Keep it in your shop, keep the new one in your pack.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I always have 2 part epoxy kits in the garage, different types and strengths, the candy bar (stick) is the one most of us carry on those adventure rides (Baja California, boonie rides). Of note I just used a more flexible type fuel cell repair type 2 part epoxy to fix a crack in my Malaguti Scooter fuel tank (plastic molded Tank), it's holding perfectly. The candy bar is a great asset for the pack and butt bag, that thing has saved us big time, note always have a coin or 2 to use as caps, but sticks can work too.

Also note all my epoxy kits are separately contained in hi strength zip lock bags. even my RTV tubes are bagged

Edited by robertaccio
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1