@Hawkins (AT DCT), Kyle #2 (F800GSA) and I set off to do a ride last weekend. We met at dunkin in Ramona, at 8:30 and set off to do Lost Valley, High Point Truck Trail, and Palomar divide.

Nice ride down old Julian, and the usual twists out to just before the Warner Springs Glider Port where Lost Valley Begins. We had a nice ride through there, it's gorgeous, and about half way through there was a group of punk-kid rocks waiting to trip one of us up, Jesse got unlucky and they picked him this time. He had an off, and one of those punk rocks had ninja skills and skipped the skid plate, skipped his bars, and French kissed his side cover, so he was spitting oil pretty bad.

Jesse got the AT a couple miles down the road to a nice flat spot, and we got it on it'[s side so we could take a look. Plans for how to handle this were already forming over the Bluetooth, I was pretty sure I had JBWeld, but wanted to wait and make sure before announcing such magical things. I did have JBWeld, Kyle #2 had a Dime, and Jesse cleaned the area really well. Boom, Africa twin back on the road, and it held so he could continue the day as planned! 

351548828_972360054008384_2514739904304930109_n.thumb.jpg.95ae4f4da5f242a0ec85ac20c2a5b042.jpg

We completed Lost Valley and had some great tacos in Anza. 

351523580_266142392733050_522423956753903324_n.thumb.jpg.e667be2137839ac4ef9694125c100254.jpg

On High Point Truck Trail, Jesse popped out his Skydeo drone. I have never had a follower drone before, that thing is amazing, make sure to activate 4K mode the drone is pretty incredible. 

We made it to the part where High Point gets to the 3-way, and started heading toward the lookout tower, but my clutch lever was fading really badly. By now I could go flat to the bar and it wouldn't engage, so I recommended we point the nose cones down hill and start heading back. We got to the chairs and my lever was feeling better, at least enough to pull it and have it performing it's duties, but by the time I got home it was not working at all, I was able to be in the right revs and kick the bike up and down a few gears so that wasn't too bad. I checked it out and fluid was almost all gone from clutch res, so I'll be inspecting the M/S cylinders and going through that this weekend... Right now though added fluid and lever is back to normal. 

Adventures were had, challenges were met and dealt with in stride, all expected from these rides :) Also got to ride with Kyle (On the right, below, who's screen name I do not know yet) really talented off road rider on the GSA on road tires! 

352191621_913162456413990_9197901416487619442_n.thumb.jpg.4f315316a2b40db6cf6912e1652b065e.jpg

Thanks @Hawkins and Kyle for a great ride! 

- Nick 

Edited by shutterrev
  • Like 3

Oh and another funny thing that happened, my first time for this one... Jessi and I recently got the newer Mesh Sena units. So there we were on open mesh chan 1 yakking as we rode to the chairs, @Hawkins was saying something along the lines that I know where some of the trails are, and a random voice pops in and says "I'm not so sure about that" hahaha - as two ADV bikes went by in the other direction. A very quick and clean roast! love it lol. 

Sounds like a great day.... 

+1 on being prepared with the JB Quickweld (it was the quick version right?).  @hawkins can probably just run that little badge of honor forever it he so chooses.

+1 on @Hawkins crash bars.  I love the fact that he's out riding and the bars show it.  

+1 on the drone shots.  Well done!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Zubb said:

+1 on @Hawkins crash bars.  I love the fact that he's out riding and the bars show it.  

Hawkins sends that big AT over whatever we are headed toward, much respect - it's a big bike and has the scars to show it's being used as intended! 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2023 at 10:12 AM, Zubb said:

A ship in a harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for."- John A. Shedd

I've never shied away from pushing a bit harder than I can handle because that is where learning, growth, or injuries happen - that's a 2/3 chance of a good outcome!

On 6/6/2023 at 10:12 AM, Zubb said:

@hawkins can probably just run that little badge of honor forever it he so chooses.

Still on there today, with many miles logged since the trail repair. I now carry my own stick of putty.

• Like 2

You guys are teasing me! Another 2 weeks and my foot should be healed enough to join you guys!

• Like 1